PDA

View Full Version : Best separator for a 1.5 HP DC ?

Allan Speers
04-09-2015, 4:00 AM
I need to get a "cyclone" type separator for my Delta 1.5 HP DC.

I don't want to mess with building one, or converting a trashcan, I'd rather just buy something that works & has a good system for locking the top, etc.

Also, I want one that is known to work well specifically with a 1.5 HP DC.

It should be on the large side, for use with a planer.

Ideally, it should be semi-transparent, so I can see when it's getting full. (Does such a thing even exist?)
-------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestions?

-thanks.

Dennis Aspö
04-09-2015, 4:43 AM
What size connections do you use? It's a bit difficul to find something that fits your specifications, most of the results I see that could potentially fit are aimed at shop vacs, like the ClearVue CV06 MINI. Though I suppose they might still work with a DC.

Myk Rian
04-09-2015, 7:40 AM
Rockler trash can separator w/4" fittings.

Jim Dwight
04-09-2015, 8:15 AM
Oneida Super Dust Deputy. In order of how fine the dust will be that is separated, trash can separators are the worst, then Thien seperators, then cyclones. I use a dust deputy on my shop vacuum and it gets nearly everything. The dust bin on the vacuum never fills up but a little dust gets through to the HEPA filter. The 5 gallon bucket under the Cyclone is where the vast majority of the material goes. Cleaning of the filter frequency will follow how much the separator separates. In other words, filter cleaning will be reduced the least by the trash can lid and the most by a cyclone.

Oneida has drums and some fittings but you can get drums for less at McMaster Carr. If you can find a local source, that would be even better. Fiber drums are the least expensive but plastic is probably more durable and a case can be made for steel, since what you are collecting is certainly flammable.

Jon Nuckles
04-09-2015, 1:21 PM
+1 on the Super Dust Deputy. I put one on my dust collector similar in size to yours and it does a fantastic job of keeping the filter and collection bag of the collector clean. It is not a "plug & play" installation, but not a huge amount of work either. Do yourself a favor and buy the Oneida fittings to connect to your system. The openings are not standard sizes and getting fittings elsewhere is not easy.

Jim Dwight
04-09-2015, 1:40 PM
I haven't purchased the Super Dust Deputy because I haven't installed my DC in my new shop yet. I may not for space reasons. My first choice for how to install it is to put it outside in a little enclosure with the Super Dust Deputy and no filter. I don't think the exhaust will have enough dust in it to mess with filtration.

I don't know about the Super Dust Deputy but I am very happy with several adapters I made for the Dust Deputy using 2 inch PVC pipe and my heat gun. The inlet and outlet are tapered but the PVC easily assumed that shape after it was heated some. I connected the shop vacuum to the cyclone totally with PVC and made connectors for two rigid hoses out of PVC. If there is a size of PVC that is close to the size of the connectors to the Super Dust Deputy, this may be an option.

Allan Speers
04-09-2015, 2:17 PM
+1 on the Super Dust Deputy. I put one on my dust collector similar in size to yours and it does a fantastic job of keeping the filter and collection bag of the collector clean. It is not a "plug & play" installation, but not a huge amount of work either. Do yourself a favor and buy the Oneida fittings to connect to your system. The openings are not standard sizes and getting fittings elsewhere is not easy.

Jon, you're saying it works well with a 1.5 HP DC?

I ask because they advertise is as being for shop vacs, which have a vastly lower CFM. I assume that the design (angles, depth of the tubes, etc) must be optimized for a given CFM.

Myk Ryan, same question.

--------------------

ALSO: I see that Oneida sells an infra-red level detector. It's around $150, which is reasonable, but still a lot of cake.

Guys who don't have something like this, how do you keep from over-filling? I was thinking about a semi-clear can, but don't see any.
What about a surfy can with a thin strip of clear plastic down the side?

Phil Thien
04-09-2015, 2:48 PM
Jon, you're saying it works well with a 1.5 HP DC?

I ask because they advertise is as being for shop vacs, which have a vastly lower CFM. I assume that the design (angles, depth of the tubes, etc) must be optimized for a given CFM.

Myk Ryan, same question.

--------------------

ALSO: I see that Oneida sells an infra-red level detector. It's around $150, which is reasonable, but still a lot of cake.

Guys who don't have something like this, how do you keep from over-filling? I was thinking about a semi-clear can, but don't see any.
What about a surfy can with a thin strip of clear plastic down the side?

The SUPER Dust Deputy version has been scaled UP for 1.5-HP dust collectors. It is like the mini on steroids.

David Delo
04-09-2015, 3:34 PM
+1 on the Super Dust Deputy from me also. I think it does a great job and am a satisfied user and have 2 of them. They do sell a sensor alarm to avoid over-filling the can but I haven't bought them, so don't know how well they work.

Here's a pic of the HF unit. It has a Wynn Nano filter on it. This one is mostly dedicated to the lathe and sometimes my small bandsaw.

This one is connected to a 2hp Griz collector with filter. It's the metal cyclone with the older style 30ish gallon drum. Have this at the other end of the shop for TS, RT, P/J and big bandsaw. Works great.

Allan Speers
04-10-2015, 1:18 AM
The SUPER Dust Deputy version has been scaled UP for 1.5-HP dust collectors. It is like the mini on steroids.

Thanks, I didn't realize that.

David Kumm
04-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Just remember you will lose cfm with a separator so a marginal system will become more marginal. Make sure you feel you have some extra capacity to offset. Dave

Mark Carlson
04-10-2015, 5:03 PM
Just remember you will lose cfm with a separator so a marginal system will become more marginal. Make sure you feel you have some extra capacity to offset. Dave

In my experience you lose cfm with a separator, but you lose more if you dont separate because your filter quickly becomes clogged. This is especially true if you use a cartridge filter.

Jon Nuckles
04-10-2015, 9:12 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding to the follow up question, but Phil gave you the right answer. The Super Dust Deputy is the right one for a 1.5 hp unit. They even make a large version of the Super Dust Deputy for more powerful collectors. And a huge +1 on Mark Carlson's response about loss of cfm. I have a Wynn cartridge and get much better performance with the Super Dust Deputy in place because it keeps the filter clean. Suction used to drop quickly with use after cleaning the filter; now it stays high. Can't praise it enough, because I hated to clean the pleated cartridge filter.

Mark Carlson
04-10-2015, 10:27 PM
I really liked this youtube video on upgrading an older 1.5 hp dust collector. He does 3 upgrades, he adds a SDD, replaces bag filter with wynn cartridge filter, and replaces 4in hose with 5in. He takes relative CFM measurements at all stages for comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzvnU3qwrvk

Robert Engel
04-11-2015, 6:55 AM
Super DD. I have a 1.5HP Jet 1100.

Works much better if you can bypass the filters and vent directly outside.

Allan Speers
04-13-2015, 7:05 PM
Guys, I know I got my answer, but I need a little more info.

I just finished my taxes, and OMG I owed a lot more than I expected! - So now money is crazy tight. SO:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Oneida Super Dust Deputy + their can, is almost $300 with shipping.

I know that the original Dust Deputy, and various similar units, are all designed for a shop vac. However, I've seen Youtube vids with these little units working "just fine" connected to a DC like mine.

So three questions:
------------------------------------------------------

1: Do the larger units collect more fine dust, and is the difference "significant?"

2: Are the larger units more efficient? That is, do they present "significantly" less resistance to my marginal DC motor?

3: Where the heck can I find a cheap barrel? That may sound like a silly question, but I literally have no idea. Can I just use a plastic wast bin from Home Depot, or is that too flimsy?

Mike Chalmers
04-13-2015, 8:39 PM
The reduction in hose size for a Dust Deputy to 2 1/2" will severely restrict air flow for the DC. That size cyclone was built for shop vacs.
I used a Rubbermaid Brute garbage can with my Shop Vac and later with my 2hp DC. I had to build a ring and put it in the can halfway down to prevent collapse.

Mark Carlson
04-13-2015, 8:44 PM
Allan, the thien separator is a good option if you cant swing the SDD. I'd wouldn't use the smaller dust deputy for the reasons Mike describes. There are all kinds of barrels you could use. Try and get a 35gal if possible. Anything smaller would be a lot of dumping if you mill your own lumber. Youtube has a lot of videos on various dust collection solutions. You might find a barrel source there.

~mark

Jon Nuckles
04-13-2015, 10:19 PM
I use a galvanized garbage can for which I made a lid with a foam seal. Apparently, some metal cans leak and that is a big drag on performance, so caulk or foil tape any gaps. My 1.5 hp Delta will suspend the can above the ground and pull the sides in a bit. I think it would collapse a plastic can.

joseph f merz
04-19-2015, 11:13 PM
i bought a cyclone from the ebay seller .galv metal .he has two sizes i own the smaller one .put it on a some what sort transparent drum .it is at least a 40 gal drum and i would not want a smaller drum .i run a hose from the cyclone to the DC . kept the lower bag on the 1 1/2 hp collector for those times i forget to check the barrel/overflow . where the upper bag was i put a plate with a 6" hose that goes outside . has been excellent . running it outside noticable improved suction .i use the system with a hose that i take to the machine i need it for .

Rick Potter
04-21-2015, 2:20 PM
Alan,

I tried my Dust Deputy with a 1 HP Jet collector, and it most definitely did NOT work well. I was just curious, trying various combos. It works just fine on a shop vac.