PDA

View Full Version : Nova G3 vs Barracuda CSC3000.....jaw styel differences

George Farra
04-08-2015, 9:49 PM
Hi All

I've been procrastinating on which 4 jaw chuck to buy, the Nova or the Barracuda. I like the value that the Barracuda brings but I beleive the Nova is better quality.

One thing I noticed is that the jaw designs seem to be different. It looks like Nova has a single ridge perhaps requiring a flared or dovetail shaped round tenon while the barracuda has serrations...I assume a straight tenon...round or square??

Are my assumptions on the jaw styles correct? If so, does that mean the Barracuda jaws are more "novice" friendly??

The jaw design may actually be the deciding factor on my purchase. Is one style better than the other??

Thanks everyone for answering all of my newbie questions so quickly. It is greatly appreciatted

Regards

George

Thom Sturgill
04-08-2015, 10:08 PM
I started with the Barracuda. I bought extra jaws as I kept loosing pieces and tried the long nose and finally the dovetail jaws. The serrations are not deep enough to be useful, though the dovetail jaws work well. I then bought a G3 and fell in love. Both the standard Nova and Barracuda jaws want a straight tenon. Both also have dovetail jaws which work much better. I now own four SN2s and two Barracudas.

Recently I spent ten days at a county fair where our club turned tops for kids (and a few miscellaneous other things). We had three lathes, a barracuda chuck, a Oneway chuck (serrated patterned jaws) and a Nova SN2 chuck (same jaws as the G3). We had turners launch blanks from every thing EXCEPT the Nova chuck. These were generally very experienced turners. This was an unusual situation as the blanks were typically the size for a tenon so no tenon was cut and no shoulder was used except in a few instances which still led to launches. The blanks were 6" long. If they survived to be 4" they were stable.

All that said, I do still use one of the Barracudas with the pin jaws occasionally, though I prefer to use my collet chuck instead.

George Farra
04-08-2015, 10:27 PM
Thanks Tom. Gonna go with my first choice....the Nova. I have been keeping an eye out for a deal on a SN2. Maybe I will pick up a 2" faceplate and hold out for a SN2. I have a Rikon 70-220VSR Midi (1HP motor), so I think a SN2 would be okay on it

George

Bill Blasic
04-09-2015, 6:48 AM
George you would be better served with the G3 on that lathe, get the one that uses inserts. I use them on all my lathes 1" X 8 and 1 1/4 X 8. I also make all the pieces I use them on with a dovetail. If you look closely at the 2" jaws that come with most Nova chucks you will see the top 1/8" is a dovetail shape on the inside. My tenons for these jaws are usually only 1/8" to 3/16" deep and they hold very well.

Thom Sturgill
04-09-2015, 8:07 AM
George, Nova sells reconditioned chucks (http://www.novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONED-NOVA-G3-Wood-Turning-Chuck-48202-R.htm). They are not as cheap as they were a few years ago, but still a good buy.

The G3 is a good match for a 12" 1/2->1 hp lathe, I mostly turn on the Jet 1642 and use the heavier SN2. My grandson 'inherited' my G3 for his Jet 1014. Same Jaws across the line, except the new infinity series.

The SN2 can be adapted to use the Infinity Jaws down the road, currently it is the only one of the Nova chucks that can. The Infinity Jaws are quick change and the ones I saw appear heavier. The SN2 chuck might be a bit heavy for a smaller lathe, but should be fine for a 1hp motor.

Steve Huffman
04-09-2015, 8:51 AM
The G3 is a good match for a 12" 1/2->1 hp lathe, I mostly turn on the Jet 1642 and use the heavier SN2. My grandson 'inherited' my G3 for his Jet 1014. Same Jaws across the line, except the new infinity series.

The SN2 can be adapted to use the Infinity Jaws down the road, currently it is the only one of the Nova chucks that can. The Infinity Jaws are quick change and the ones I saw appear heavier. The SN2 chuck might be a bit heavy for a smaller lathe, but should be fine for a 1hp motor.

X2 here. I had the G3 for my 12 inch Harbor Freight and now have the Super Nova2 for the 16 inch Jet. Both are great chucks and couldn't be happier. Can't comment either way on the Barracuda's.

Joe Bradshaw
04-09-2015, 8:59 AM
George, the Novas are good chucks. I, personally favor the Oneways. What ever you decide on, stay with the same brand. Also, chucks are worth exactly what you pay for them. Compare the cheapies and the more expensive ones. The fit and finish on the better chucks is much better.
Joe

Justin Stephen
04-09-2015, 10:19 AM
I'm not normally much of a brand snob (and I don't really have a dog in this fight since I almost exclusively use Oneway chucks), but Teknatool vs. PSI is no contest. If you have the money, get the Nova product.

George Farra
04-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Thanks everyone. I got "itchy" and just pulled the trigger on the Nova G3. So much for waiting for a deal...LOL!!