PDA

View Full Version : SuperMax Sander question

Bill Sutherland
04-08-2015, 9:49 PM
I'm really wanting a SuperMax 19-38 Drum sander and since I'm almost completely maxed out for available space I'm trying to squeeze out just enough space to fit it in my garage/shop. For you who own the SuperMax 19-38 can you tell me what the width including the motor housing to the far edge of the conveyer belt housing. I won't have room for the roll around cart so it will have to sit on a Vika table that occupies one corner of the garage.

Matthew Bradburn
04-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Looks like a bit under 41 inches.

Bill Sutherland
04-09-2015, 8:31 AM
Matthew...do you own one?

roger wiegand
04-09-2015, 9:08 AM
I do own one, the spec sheet says 42" and that seems right. It has a big footprint, the motor sticks out quite far and the infeed-outfeed tables make it one of he biggest tools in my shop. Having it on rollers has been invaluable, otherwise it would have to have been constantly in the middle of the only large open space I have to get adequate infeed/outfeed distance. As it is I need to hang boards out the window sometimes.

Michael Kaplan
04-09-2015, 10:13 AM
I own one as well. Don't have the specs (I'm not at the shop at present), but I can highly recommend the machine.

glenn bradley
04-09-2015, 10:17 AM
I own one. From the back of the motor cover to the tip of the little button screws that hold the table height it is about (its an awkward measurement to take) 40-1/4". In order to get the benefit of this wonderful machine, you have to tolerate the huge footprint it requires. Not only during operation but, when stored as well. I am not much on mobile tools but, my 19-38 and my planer get shifted about for use as they both share the same DC hookup and shop floor space. I made it work by eliminating a drawer unit and building a storage base under the 19-38:

311076 . 311077

I use the drawer unit for general abrasive storage and actually have a bit more usable space now as the previous drawer unit was ill suited to it's location. There's cubbies in the back for abrasives specific to the 19-38:

BTW, that huge drawer unit in the pic actually occupies a smaller footprint than the supplied open base. Is the Vika cart you refer to an IKEA table? The sander is quite heavy so I would test your Vika to 200+lbs to avoid a costly surprise later on.

roger wiegand
04-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Your drawer unit is a really nice idea. I bought the open stand and it is essentially wasted space. Anything stored on the bottom shelf falls off sooner or later. I may soon have a stand to sell :)

I've found the machine has a definite learning curve, one has to be very cautious to avoid getting divots if the feed rate falters for even a fraction of a second, or of burned stripes if you sand over a knot or undetected high spot. Very light passes are key, and it varies from species to species. That said, it has already saved me a ton of work.

John Kos
04-09-2015, 1:22 PM
Your drawer unit is a really nice idea. I bought the open stand and it is essentially wasted space. Anything stored on the bottom shelf falls off sooner or later. I may soon have a stand to sell :)

I've found the machine has a definite learning curve, one has to be very cautious to avoid getting divots if the feed rate falters for even a fraction of a second, or of burned stripes if you sand over a knot or undetected high spot. Very light passes are key, and it varies from species to species. That said, it has already saved me a ton of work.

I turned the shelf over so the lip faces upwards, and I keep a box there with my spare rolls of paper.

Bill Sutherland
04-09-2015, 1:36 PM
I may have to relocate my Kapex and utilize it on my Vika table. The Vika is rated at 500lbs but I could put the Supermax on the Cabinet I have for the Kapex. Great information on the way you fellas have set it up..thanks. I'm really surprised that the motor adds that much to the width dimension. I keep looking at the pictures/videos and can't imagine that the 18" roller has additional 23 inches of housing and motor.

Bill Sutherland
04-09-2015, 6:41 PM
I can now lay blame on all you guys for pulling the trigger and ordering the SuperMax. They're a bit on back order but maybe by mid May I'll have to find room. ;-)

glenn bradley
04-09-2015, 7:37 PM
I keep looking at the pictures/videos and can't imagine that the 18" roller has additional 23 inches of housing and motor.

I know. 19" drum, another couple inches per side for the bearings and access to get at the clips, the yoke on the motor side, then the motor itself . . . presto 40-odd inches ;-)

Bill Sutherland
04-09-2015, 8:19 PM
I'm hoping the vast majority of the machine is on the right (starboard) side of the machine. My Vika table is not close to that width.

David Davies
04-09-2015, 8:51 PM
Where did you order the Supermax from?

Bill Sutherland
04-09-2015, 9:40 PM
I had heard nothing but good reports about ACME. I have to tell you that it was the absolute best buying experience I've ever had. The fella that I spoke with spent a lot of time explaining how their ordering worked as far as the charge to a credit card, completely explained the shipping procedure and how it actually came from SuperMax and how the trucking company would do the final delivery plus a lot of information about the sander itself. These guys are pros. I have been in the sales game my whole life and have owned a luxury car dealership and I know how difficult it can be to train employees to treat the customer the way the owner wants and do it on a day by day basis. What really stands out is this outfit sells a LOT of different tools so it's not a botique type of shop and to get that kind of service/treatment is rare. I will be buying all my tools from them. I don't have the fellas name but I plan on writing the owner about him. Again, I have heard nothing but rave reviews about this company.

glenn bradley
04-09-2015, 10:43 PM
I'm hoping the vast majority of the machine is on the right (starboard) side of the machine. My Vika table is not close to that width.

Left edge of machine to left edge of the yoke is about 26-1/2" so the majority of the machine is on the left. HTH

Bill Sutherland
04-10-2015, 6:49 AM
I'm wondering about the weight distribution with the motor on the right side I'm thinking it will favor that side.

glenn bradley
04-10-2015, 7:01 AM
I'm wondering about the weight distribution with the motor on the right side I'm thinking it will favor that side.

Not at all. The motor is not a significant weight on this machine. The yoke, drum housing and base are cast iron and very heavy. I am trying to remember as I had mine on and off of the stand and the drawer unit I built a couple of times. Seems to me that the weight distribution is about dead center. Nearly everything you see that isn't obviously sheet metal and motor is cast iron (above and below the table). The cast iron base extends beyond the table to the left and includes the table leveling mechanism:

Bill Sutherland
04-10-2015, 10:18 AM
ahhh..thanks for that info. One more question, what is the height from the cabinet top to the top of the conveyor pad? Since this sander will sit along the wall shared by a couple of MFT tables, cabinet and Vika table I hope to get lucky and be able to span a board that needs to be trimmed across my Kapex and along the Supermax conveyor. Kind of like a super expensive outfield table for the Kapex. I am planning on mounting the Supermax on a "Lazy Susan" so the 40" won't be protruding too far into the small aisle I have left when my car is parked in the garage. I have enough room length wise if I mount in on the Vika table and being able to rotate it when I need to use it may solve my space dilema.

Clay Fails
05-25-2015, 5:15 PM
I've been considering purchasing this sander for awhile, and am about ready to pull the trigger. My question is this: Do any of you have the combo unit, and if so how do you like it?
Corollary question: Those of you who have the drum sander unit, do you wish you had purchased the combo unit?

thanks.

Bill Sutherland
05-26-2015, 8:52 AM
I have the drum sander and so far I'm really loving it. It makes things so precise. Just finished some cabinet face frames and everything ended up perfect. Glad I purchased it and as others have said don't know how I managed before I had it.

Brad Schmid
05-26-2015, 11:59 AM
Yes, I do have the combo unit. Love it. I have both the flatter head and the drum. I use the flatter head for sanding profiles and veneered plywood when there is risk of sanding through. The variable drum speed for slowing down the flatter is nice. With the drum, you just run it full speed, which in that configuration operatess identical to the regular unit. It's not very difficult to change between flatter and drum. you just remove the 2 bolts on each end. Probably takes 10 minutes or so. As a side note, if you get the DRO from Supermax, it is now a Wixey (used to be some other brand, I forget which...). They charge $100 for it, but it comes with very nice heavy brackets specifically for this machine, so no fabrication or drilling/tapping required.

PS. The combo unit's drum motor is obviously a different motor (3ph VFD) due to variable drum speed. If somebody posts the specs for the regular unit, you can compare. If I recall correctly, this one has a better insulation rating.
specs:
HP 1 3/4
KW 1.3
Volt 230
Pole 4
Hz 60
RPM 1720
Amp 4.2
Heat 60C
Phase 3
Class E