PDA

View Full Version : Chess Set Designs

Russell Neyman
04-08-2015, 3:21 PM
I have been commissioned to make a high-end chess set, which I'll probably make from holly and black wood. I'm wondering if any of you have clever designs for the pieces, especially the knight, queen, and rook.

Thom Sturgill
04-08-2015, 4:23 PM
I have made exactly ONE turned chess set and one set where I carved masters and made molds and cast ceramic. And I do not play ...
The knight was a challenge but what I did was turn a rounded end on a cylinder on the standard base. I then went to the bandsaw and cut curved slices starting about 3/32 from the center at the top and coming out at the edge at the base. I then sanded that smooth on an oscillating spindle sander. Two or three more cuts on the bandsaw defined the profile of the head and the top of mane. Made a perfectly acceptable knight, and a little carving would add a lot of detail.

Sorry I do not have a picture.

Wayne Lovell
04-08-2015, 6:00 PM
Fox Chapel Publishing published 2 books by Mike Darlow, one was "Woodturning Chessman" and I don't remember the other title. They are good books with a number of good looking designs. Just don't make the same mistake I did and order both because they are the exact same book word for word photos and everything page for page identical. The only difference is the title and the cover. They are both for sale on Amazon and if there are Half Price Book Stores in your area I saw some in one in Dallas about a week ago.

Peter Fabricius
04-08-2015, 7:14 PM
Here is some info I found on www.coolchesscanada.ca (http://www.coolchesscanada.ca)

King height is 3.75" (95.25 mm).
King weight is 2.01 oz (57.0 g).
King base is 1.5" (38.1 mm).
Set weight is 2.49 lb (1.13 kg).
Complete set of 34 Chess pieces.
Includes extra Queens.
Board size: 17.7x17.7x0.51 inch board (450x450x13 mm).
1.96x1.96 inch squares (50x50 mm).
Board weight is 4.3 lbs (1.99 kg).
Mahogany and maple veneers.
Superb matte chess board from Rechapados Ferrer, Spain.
Product # ROYE50MAH.

Russell Neyman
04-09-2015, 2:41 PM
I'm considering making all of the pieces tall, thin, along the lines of finials.

Thom Sturgill
04-09-2015, 4:36 PM
I'm considering making all of the pieces tall, thin, along the lines of finials.

Sounds cool. Many turners have identifiable finial designs. Use a Cindy Drozda style for the queen and a Scott Hackler style for the King!

Russell Neyman
04-09-2015, 5:11 PM
And John Keeton for the bishop?

Thom Sturgill
04-09-2015, 6:32 PM
And John Keeton for the bishop?

YES! and Stuart Mortimer for the Rook! Now you just need the Knight and Pawns!

Hayes Rutherford
01-14-2016, 1:16 PM
Russel, my recent interest in chess sets led me to your post and was wondering what you came up with. Any photos?