PDA

View Full Version : plane shipping advice

Phil Stone
04-08-2015, 12:50 PM
It seems like this must have been discussed here before, but I can't figure out the right search terms to find it -- "shipping" shows up everywhere!

What are the preferred methods for shipping planes? Which carrier and method has worked out best, in the collective experience? What packing methods?

Jim Koepke
04-08-2015, 2:11 PM
Most of the time USPS works for me. The flat rate Priority packages (free at the Post Office) work great for most items.

For a plane, it depends on the plane's size.

I tend to at least double line the inside of the box with pieces of cardboard. Then try to make an inner box to hold the plane secure. This doesn't always work. My last plane shipment was a bit loose inside. It did have some bubble wrap to smooth out the ride.

Another thought would be how does the person receiving the plane. They may have a work location where UPS or FedEx might be a preferred shipper.

jtk

Phil Stone
04-08-2015, 2:17 PM
Most of the time USPS works for me. The flat rate Priority packages (free at the Post Office) work great for most items.

For a plane, it depends on the plane's size.

I tend to at least double line the inside of the box with pieces of cardboard. Then try to make an inner box to hold the plane secure. This doesn't always work. My last plane shipment was a bit loose inside. It did have some bubble wrap to smooth out the ride.

Another thought would be how does the person receiving the plane. They may have a work location where UPS or FedEx might be a preferred shipper.

jtk

Thanks, Jim. I'm thinking about shipping for a 22" jointer. Would that be a good candidate for flat rate Priority USPS?

steven c newman
04-08-2015, 2:50 PM
On a plane that long, flat rate boxes don't fit. A "shipping box" out of card board can be custom fitted to the plane. Be sure to add some 1/4" plywoo, as it will deflect a lot more blows than cardboard liners would. LOTS of Bubble wrap. Disassemble as much as you can, and wrap them seperately in more bubble wrap.

I USUALLY ship mine via the post office, so far, so good.

Joe Bailey
04-08-2015, 3:58 PM
Thanks, Jim. I'm thinking about shipping for a 22" jointer. Would that be a good candidate for flat rate Priority USPS?

YES -- there's a flat rate Priority box for that -- it's called a Board Game Box

Phil Stone
04-08-2015, 4:02 PM
YES -- there's a flat rate Priority box for that -- it's called a Board Game Box

Oh, excellent, didn't see that on their site. Thanks, Joe!

Bill Houghton
04-08-2015, 4:25 PM
Your local post office may not stock the board game box; you may have to order it (free) from the USPS website, and wait a couple of weeks for it. You actually have to order several at a time, but your post office will probably be grateful for any surplus.

A No. 22 is maybe a tad wide to lay on its side in the box, which is only about 3" in depth; but they're not hard to disassemble, and then you can set it upright in the 3" dimension of the box. It's a slightly tight fit in a board game box; may need to go in diagonally.

I generally wrap everything in bubble wrap (the SMALL bubbles), and then cram in as much newspaper as I can fit to pad everything. For a plane like that, I'd look around for suitable blocking - 2x4s stacked up, recycled styrofoam - to place on each side of the plane, to keep the box from being squashed onto the plane.

Digressing...creative thinking can fit a lot into flat rate boxes. I've shipped several block planes in the small flat rate box, which is about the size of a VHS cassette, (for those old enough to remember VHS), by putting the body side-by-side with the cutting iron and lever cap, and an H-shaped cardboard divider between, with the corrugations in the cardboard running vertically to provide crush resistance - and with a wrap of bubble wrap, and newspapers crammed into the corners. They've all arrived safely.

Don't subscribe to a newspaper? You may have an old-school neighbor who does, or you can pick up freebie real estate or similar classifieds, or use recycled plastic bags (not as easy to compact) or, if you work in an office or have a friend/family member who does, recycled printer paper*.

*Some of us here are no doubt old enough to remember that computers were going to reduce paper usage.

Jim Koepke
04-08-2015, 4:56 PM
I'm thinking about shipping for a 22" jointer.

The last one of those I shipped was wrapped in cardboard and then wrapped again.

Insurance is always a cheap security. My feeling is it gets them to take better care of things. That probably has nothing to do with reality, but it just feels better.

jtk

Kent A Bathurst
04-08-2015, 5:29 PM
Last one I shipped........

I disassembled it. Wrapped each component in bubble wrap.

Just seemed to me to be a more secure, cautious, method - each individual piece protected in the box - newspaper stuffed all around to fill up the blank space.

Jim Matthews
04-08-2015, 5:51 PM
+1 on this method.

If it was me, I would disassemble and fit it in a PVC pipe.
Cast iron this long doesn't take well to rough handling.

Shawn Pixley
04-08-2015, 9:23 PM
I like that idea. I've shipped fishing rods that way. Plane bodies should work well.

Dave Parkis
04-08-2015, 10:58 PM
I hadn't heard about using pipee,but I disassemble planes when I ship them. I think this is safer for the totes and especially the lateral adjuster. I use a piece of rigid insulation and tape that against the frog making sure I tape the adjuster lever to the insulation. If you do order the game boxes, be aware that the come in boxes of 10. I thought I was ordering 5 individual boxes and the guy dropped 50 off.

don wilwol
04-09-2015, 8:20 AM

ditto. ......

Phil Stone
04-09-2015, 5:09 PM
Thank you all for the informative answers!

Mateo Panzica
04-10-2015, 9:35 PM
USPS will ship just about anything. It doesn't have to be in a cardboard box. I ship all my slicks in fitted, simple (and very strong) wooden boxes.

Bob Jones
04-11-2015, 12:04 AM
Diaper boxes, liquor boxes, baby wipe boxes. All heavy and strong. Have a buffer between the plane and all sides of the box. Lots of newspaper and tape. In the end just send it on its way and hope for the best. :)