PDA

View Full Version : What's a single tooth worth?

Mike Lassiter
04-08-2015, 12:21 PM
just back from the dentist.:(

I had a crown put on a upper tooth about 10 years ago not in the "front" but I would say a back front tooth. One that gets used about anytime you bite into something. It became loose over the weekend. I haven't had that loose tooth feeling in many years:eek: but the crown was very easily moved by touching it. There was a metal pin inserted into the tooth when it was installed.

I had to have the tooth pulled awhile ago. Unable to save due to decay below the crown that undermined the crown which is the cause of the problem. Already had a root canal done then the crown so there already been several hundred dollars spent out of pocket on it. Discussing my options a bridge, partial plate (I think) or implant.

I went many years without dental insurance and money tight trying to raise family etc. etc. and my teeth were in pretty bad shape when I was finally able to do something about them. Several crowns and root canals, numerous fillings - many hundreds of dollars spent on top of insurance coverage to get them in shape.

Been without dental insurance again for 4 years now until this year. So insurance has a $1000 year limit. Bone transfusion $2100, implant post $1800, crown $500 (yea - another one for the same spot!) for keeping a single tooth! I decided to just pull it and be done with it. I can still do bridge later if I want but, needed to get the tooth out today as I was afraid it would fall/breakout while eating. I told the lady that for a lot less than $5000 I could pull all my teeth and get dentures and get a WHOLE new set not just one tooth.

Wade Lippman
04-08-2015, 1:21 PM
My wife is on her third implant. Your dentist is cheaper than hers. But she's worth it.:rolleyes:

Larry Edgerton
04-08-2015, 1:34 PM
Mike, I had to make that same decision. I was just about to start my new house for cash and they gave me the first two options. I think I mentioned the denture thing as well.

I had it pulled and never went back, I am not sinking $4K into one tooth. I do not really see it as a problem.

I jumped off of a ladder with a cord in my mouth, fastest way to break off a tooth I know off when you step on the cord.

Because of various misadventures I have three fakes and one missing, not all that far away from dentures anyway. Dentists all say how terrible they are but most people I know with dentures don't feel that way. Can't fix cavities in dentures.....

Larry

Kent A Bathurst
04-08-2015, 2:27 PM
Neighbor girl usually got $5 each.

Doggone Tooth Fairy certainly upped the ante - I used to get a lousy quarter. :mad:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2015, 2:35 PM
The prices you show are about what they cost me over 5 years ago.

Prices can vary due to local economics. In other words, what one pays in NYC might be significantly different than one might pay in Idaho or California.

Brian Tymchak
04-08-2015, 2:59 PM
Assuming you have medical insurance, you might want to check into whether any of that can be covered by medical. That bone transfusion might qualify.

Mike Lassiter
04-08-2015, 3:17 PM
That would have needed to been done today when the tooth was pulled as I understood it, to avoid the bone closing up. She said they used cadabure (?) bone to fill in the socket the tooth occupied. Then in 3 months or so the jaw bone would fuse to the filler bone and grow around it. Gives solid bone for implant post to screw into.

Val Kosmider
04-08-2015, 3:18 PM
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Same goes for the land of the toothless. One of one? Pretty important. One of many? Not so much.

Clay Crocker
04-08-2015, 5:18 PM
I spent about $6K on an implant 3-4 years ago. The tooth it replaced was second from the back, on the bottom and had a large ceramic filling in the middle. One day I was eating a chocolate chip cookie with walnuts when I bit down on a piece of walnut shell which caused the tooth to crack right down the middle. My dentist took the filling out to inspect the damage and he said it looked like the crack went down deep into the tooth. No way to tell for sure w/o going to an endodontist. I could have gone and had a root canal and a crown put on but there was still a chance I could loose the tooth eventually, so I opted to skip the root canal and go straight to the implant. The rest of my teeth are in good shape, no root canals and only one other crown at the moment, so I thought it made sense for me to go with the implant. The implant is supposed to last a lifetime (not the crown though) so I figured the cost amortized over 40+ years (hopefully!) was a good investment in my case.

Mike Lassiter
04-08-2015, 5:32 PM
I spent about $6K on an implant 3-4 years ago. The tooth it replaced was second from the back, on the bottom and had a large ceramic filling in the middle. One day I was eating a chocolate chip cookie with walnuts when I bit down on a piece of walnut shell which caused the tooth to crack right down the middle. My dentist took the filling out to inspect the damage and he said it looked like the crack went down deep into the tooth. No way to tell for sure w/o going to an endodontist. I could have gone and had a root canal and a crown put on but there was still a chance I could loose the tooth eventually, so I opted to skip the root canal and go straight to the implant. The rest of my teeth are in good shape, no root canals and only one other crown at the moment, so I thought it made sense for me to go with the implant. The implant is supposed to last a lifetime (not the crown though) so I figured the cost amortized over 40+ years (hopefully!) was a good investment in my case.

Had similar thing on left rear tooth. Bad shape and getting a crown on it. First we had to do the root canal an pack with temp filling. Said to make sure all the nerve was out before installing the crown. So - the week before scheduled to install the crown, the tooth began to hurt more and more. After a couple of days I called and was called back to inspect. Tooth was abscessed and another x-ray revealed that it had in fact cracked down in the gum. So, we've got to pull it- no other options. I had to pay for the root canal then to pull it too. Didn't seem right, but I guess that's the way it goes.

Phil Thien
04-08-2015, 6:37 PM
That would have needed to been done today when the tooth was pulled as I understood it, to avoid the bone closing up. She said they used cadabure (?) bone to fill in the socket the tooth occupied. Then in 3 months or so the jaw bone would fuse to the filler bone and grow around it. Gives solid bone for implant post to screw into.

But if the bone closes up on its own, isn't that the same thing?

These are the sorts of decisions I face now that I'm fifty and my ultra-soft teeth start to fail.

No corn nuts for me.

William Payer
04-08-2015, 7:26 PM
But if the bone closes up on its own, isn't that the same thing?

These are the sorts of decisions I face now that I'm fifty and my ultra-soft teeth start to fail.

No corn nuts for me.

Without the cadaver bone graft ,I believe the bone will fill in but will be concave, and will be lower than the bone of the adjacent teeth. This level of bone is probably needed to fully support the implant properly.

Yes, once past fifty or so, we are like older cars ---something always needs repairs or replacement!

William Payer
04-08-2015, 7:33 PM
Had similar thing on left rear tooth. Bad shape and getting a crown on it. First we had to do the root canal an pack with temp filling. Said to make sure all the nerve was out before installing the crown. So - the week before scheduled to install the crown, the tooth began to hurt more and more. After a couple of days I called and was called back to inspect. Tooth was abscessed and another x-ray revealed that it had in fact cracked down in the gum. So, we've got to pull it- no other options. I had to pay for the root canal then to pull it too. Didn't seem right, but I guess that's the way it goes.

Root canals are not a guaranteed procedure, the tooth can still have issues resulting in its needing to be extracted. A small fracture in the tooth and or root can allow bacterial to get in an decay set in. With no functioning nerve, you will never know it is happening unless you develop an abscess. The endodontist who did mine made it very clear that it could go bad.

Clay Crocker
04-08-2015, 11:02 PM

Mike, the fear of having an experience like your's was the reason I skipped the root canal/crown and went right to the implant. Since I knew the tooth was cracked, it appeared to be about 50/50 whether or not the root canal would take long term. Given the cost of the root canal, I did not consider those very good odds. In my case the implant seemed to be more of sure bet.

Phil Hansen
04-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Grow a moustache. Can't see the missing teeth. Lot cheaper.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Grow a moustache. Can't see the missing teeth. Lot cheaper.

It's hard to eat chicken gizzards with that moustache!:eek::rolleyes:

Kent A Bathurst
04-11-2015, 11:37 AM
It's hard to eat chicken gizzards with that moustache!:eek::rolleyes:

Gizzards, huh? I knew there had to be a reason I liked you. Gizzards is it.

Scott Donley
04-11-2015, 12:43 PM
Well, after just having an implant done, it can get expensive. Mine was a front tooth, needed a bone graft first. The whole thing ended taking almost a year and 6,500 $ for it all. That did include having them put me to sleep for two of my appointments for the bone grafts, I'm a big sissy when it comes to the dentist. Sure wish I had dental insurance

James Baker SD
04-11-2015, 1:43 PM
I had two implants done at once on side by side locations. One tooth had been pulled 2 or 3 years previously, the other was a poorly done crown on a root canal that continued to decay but did so painlessly until that tooth was "non-restorable" in dentist terminology. Bottom line was dentist did both implants the same day, but used different types of implants. For the long missing tooth where he bone had filled in by itself, he drilled a hole and put it in, for the newly removed tooth, he used an implant in the shape of the tooth root that nearly filled the gap perfectly. Both had to heal for 3 months before he fitted me with crowns on them. Then I tried to spit them out thinking a had a small stone in my month for almost a year before I got used to them. Overall though glad I had it done. My mother had partials and absolutely hated them and told me over and over to avoid them at any cost. Guess each person if different and will prefer different solutions.

Jim Andrew
04-18-2015, 10:29 PM
If you guys are in need of serious dental work, it might pay to fly into Wichita, and have it done there. My local dentist charges 3 times as much as they do in Wichita. My aunt got a bridge at Central Street Dentistry, and then showed it to the local dentist when she had her teeth cleaned. They advertise implants, and I was aware of someone who went there to get all their teeth pulled and get dentures. My neighbor had his teeth pulled, and with 4 implants to hold his dentures in place, the bill is locally over 30K, he wishes he had heard about Wichita earlier.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-18-2015, 11:36 PM
Another alternative is to find out if there are nearby dental schools. Often you can get the work done there for next to nothing or nothing. My youngest son actually paid the expenses for some of his patients when he was in dental school because they couldn't afford to pay it and for school requirements, he needed to perform the specific procedures they needed. All dental students are under direct supervision of dentists who are professors. Dental students paying for patients dental work is quite common. My sister needed some crowns and called me. She found a local dental school at a nearby university and it was quite a bit cheaper.