PDA

View Full Version : BMW Motorcycle stored 5 years

Ernie Kuhn
08-05-2005, 3:48 PM
It hasn't been started in 5 yrs. Drain old gas from tank and carbs, fill with new. Drain and replace oil and filter. Buy new battery. What else do I need to do?
Ernie

Jim DeLaney
08-05-2005, 4:30 PM
It hasn't been started in 5 yrs. Drain old gas from tank and carbs, fill with new. Drain and replace oil and filter. Buy new battery. What else do I need to do?
Ernie

Remove spark plugs and squirt a little bit of oil into cylinders. Crank the engine over a few revs, then replace plugs - preferably with new ones.

If it was stored with gas in it, you'll probably have to purge the lines, and most likely need to clean the carbs, too.

Is this an "R" or a "K" model?

Bob Tate
08-05-2005, 5:03 PM
I would add acquire some SeaFoam from a NAPA Auto and add about 2 ounces per gallon to the gas tank. I normally add 1 ounce per gallon every 5 or 6 fillups. It does a great job of cleaning all the varnish and deposits out. Even when a bike sits for a long while. Really great stuff for winterizing also. I go thru about 2 gallons a year (4 motorcycles).

Bob

John Shuk
08-05-2005, 8:49 PM
Are there any seals that may have dried out by now? I'd make the maiden voyages a short on to see what happens once she warms up then cools down again a few times.

John Miliunas
08-05-2005, 9:28 PM
Check brakes to be sure calipers or drum isn't seized up. Be sure any non-hydraulic cables work freely. Check tire sidewalls for dry-rot. Test brake lights, turn signals, etc... before venturing out on road. If it starts/runs OK, I'd probably set it on the center stand and lightly run it through the gears, so that it gets all lubed up before putting a load on it. Oh yeah...If doing a fair amount of in-place engine running, not a bad idea to put a box fan in front of the bike to keep some air circulating and engine heat down a bit.:) :cool:

JayStPeter
08-06-2005, 9:08 AM
You may wind up having to pull the carbs and clean them. But, try to start it without, rough running or backfires mean pull them and hose them out with carb cleaner. Shoot compressed air into the small openings. Change the fuel filter also.
You may also need to replace the spark plugs.

Once you get it running, I'd bleed the brakes. If you want it to ride like new, changing the fluid in the suspension makes a big difference (which may require a pro on the rear as many are nitrogen filled).

Bart Leetch
08-06-2005, 9:19 AM
Before I'd ride it I'd change the tires. Its been setting around for 5 years & how long were the tires on the bike before that? Tire manufactures say that the carbon in the tires starts breaking down after 5 years. Just a caution.

Just putting around the streets close to home & not to fast say 25 or 30 to check the bile out may be ok & safe but if it was my neck I wouldn't do much more that that until I changed the tires.

I have a KZ400 that has been setting around longer than that & it will be getting new tires even though the tires look great.

Tim Morton
08-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Before I'd ride it I'd change the tires. Its been setting around for 5 years & how long were the tires on the bike before that? Tire manufactures say that the carbon in the tires starts breaking down after 5 years. Just a caution.

Just putting around the streets close to home & not to fast say 25 or 30 to check the bile out may be ok & safe but if it was my neck I wouldn't do much more that that until I changed the tires.

I have a KZ400 that has been setting around longer than that & it will be getting new tires even though the tires look great.

wanna sell that KZ?:D 2 stroke triple? I had one 25 years ago and would LOVE to resore one someday...

Russ Filtz
08-06-2005, 11:29 AM
I second the tire change. Motorcycle tires can harden with age drastically reducing grip. Can happen after only 2-3 years! My rear tire would lock up with only slight pressure after being stored or hardly ridden for years, after I changed to new tires I can almost stand on the rear brake and it won't lock! MUCH safer braking condition.

Bart Leetch
08-06-2005, 11:51 AM
wanna sell that KZ?:D 2 stroke triple? I had one 25 years ago and would LOVE to resore one someday...

Sorry to disappoint you Tim its not the quick 2 stroke triple but the slow 4 stroke twin. It was my only transportation to & from the North Island Naval base to Imperial Beach Calif. from the middle of 79 till the beginning of 82. top speed 90 MPH with a good tail wind & at normal speeds 56 MPG.

I hope to get it back on the road just to run the back roads around here & maybe take RVing with our 5th wheel. The LOML really like to ride the motorcycle & go fishing. But she leaves the wood shop to me.

I have a newer used tank that needs the inside coated & both it & the side covers need to be repainted & it needs a new coil its running cold on one cylinder but when switching the coil wires from one cylinder to the other the heat goes from one cylinder to the other & the seat recovered. & new tires & just general clean up & paint touch up on the frame.

Ernie Kuhn
08-06-2005, 5:13 PM
Jim,
1983 R80 ST. A little over 8,000 miles, hardly broke in. Cherry.
Ernie

Ernie Kuhn
08-06-2005, 5:25 PM
All,
Thank you so much. Bob Tate, the SeaFoam suggestion was something I didn't even know about. Will do.
Jim DeLaney, I'd thought about a bit of oil in the cylinders but not about purging the gas lines. Thank you.
John Shuk, check seals excellent idea.
John Miliuinas, box fan, hadn't thought of that either. Luckily I have one.
Jay StPeter, bleed brakes and new suspension fluid, hadn't thought about the suspension fluid. Thank you.
Bart Leetch, New tires another one I missed. Excellent suggestion. This is going to be a bit more pricey than I thought
Russ Filtz, glad to have your second on the tire change and your experience because of that.
Thank you all so much. A lot of your suggestions really are safety issues I hadn't thought of.
The bike is a 1983-84 R80 ST (exhaust merges into a single, high pipe. The bike has just a tad over 8,000 miles on it and is still cherry. About time to get it back on the road again. Shame to leave it in the garage, up on its center stand when it really deserves to be ridden.
Again, thanks to you all
Ernie

Chris Padilla
08-06-2005, 6:09 PM
BMW?? ;) Cool...how about some pics, Ernie!

Ernie Kuhn
08-07-2005, 1:45 AM
Chris,
Ah yes, pictures. In a couple of days. Need to roll it out of the Garage. I forgot the picture police. Will do, in a day or two.
Ernie

Mike Wilkins
08-08-2005, 3:15 PM
I would second all responses so far. I have a Kawasaki 600 Ninja that has been stored for a while with the same concerns. In addition to the tires, you may need to re-lube the cables, change the oil and change it again after you get it running. The carbs and tank will be the biggest question marks. You may need to remove the carbs, dismantle them and clean them w/carb cleaner. The tank may have rust built up as well. Go to the local bike dealer-
ship and get some Kreem tank sealant. Otherwise you will have rust clogging the fuel lines/filter.
Good luck and ride safe.

Ernie Kuhn
08-09-2005, 1:52 AM
Mike, thank you e.g. KREEM tank sealant. I am off to the dealer's this weekend to see if they have it.
Appreciate your help.
Ernie