PDA

View Full Version : Conveyor Belt Griz Drum Sander Ouch!!!

Carroll Courtney
04-08-2015, 7:55 AM
Morning guys,well I have one of those 24" duel drum sander that is fantastic so I was doing a spring time tuneup on it.You know pulling the panels vac the inside,applying alittle oil on the moving parts etc.So me feeling alittle adventurous yesterday I though I would just go ahead and replace the conveyor belt.Look for a Utube on it did not find one but look in the directions so maybe I can figure it out.So I got the part #'s went to the web site to order and OMG!!!!! 365.00 Really?????Dang well they got me:cool: Then maybe not,guys surely I'm not the first to discover this outrageous price for the belt so what are the choices out there,whats the alternative that does not include griz?Cost of griz conveyor belt is like taxes just way out of line.Help-----Carroll
My belt is the original but not for long,its rubber kinda like rubber for a tire

Bruce Wrenn
04-08-2015, 8:21 AM
Is your belt rubber, or sand paper? If it's sand paper, then Klingspor can make you one.

Cary Falk
04-08-2015, 8:27 AM
If it is sandpaper, I had industrial Abrasive make me one for my Grizzly 18/36 at half the cost of Grizzly.

Jim Andrew
04-08-2015, 9:42 AM
Is the belt actually worn out?

Mike Cutler
04-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Carroll

I'd be inclined to call them on the phone and verify that price. If you try to buy it online, it won't let you.
Is the belt actually worn? It should last a good long time, i hope because It's the one part on my Steel City Drum Sander I'm worried about not being able to get if I need one now that they've closed down.
Hard to believe that the belt is ~20% of the cost of the machine.

If you still need it though;
http://www.rubbercal.com/specialty-products/woodworking-belts/

http://www.kiserbelting.com

Grainers sells it by the foot and by the roll. I don't know how it's made into a belt though

Carroll Courtney
04-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys for the replys and links.The sandpaper type is a good choice for me being budget minded but I don't want the humidity in my shop or the state(Tx) to take its toll on the paper.
Mike it is one of those moments that I just thought I wanted to replace the belt,I figure it couldn't be that much and due to the age I also gave it some though that the belt would become obsolete over time in which I also notice that some of the bronze bushings is not on the parts list.Maybe its one of those typeO errors,like you I just can't believe it either.I am going to check into it and check into the links and see what I can come up with.

John TenEyck
04-08-2015, 1:57 PM
The sanding belt types are cloth based, so humidity shouldn't bother them much. My shop gets down to about 30% much of the winter and I haven't noticed any static problems with it. I just bought a new belt for my Delta 18x36 from Industrial Abrasives and am very pleased with the quality, especially since it was a fraction of the price of one from Delta. And this one even tracks straight, something I could never get the other one to do.

Bronze bushings should be available in most any size you need from McMaster Carr and many others.

John

Ole Anderson
04-08-2015, 3:12 PM
When you said ouch, I was envisioning a accident. Had an acquaintance have his hand pulled into a drum sander, not a pretty sight, years of rehab.

eugene thomas
04-08-2015, 5:20 PM
Few years ago bought new conveyor belt for mt 36" wide belt sander. Think with the$50 shipping was $600. ...