PDA

View Full Version : 2 sanding belts simultaneously?

Mike Weaver
08-05-2005, 2:06 PM
I have a 6x48" stationary unit.

Has anyone tried running a pair of something like 2"x48" belts or 3"x48" belts at the same time to get two grits at once?

...or is this just silly...?:confused:

Cheers,
-Mike

Bruce Page
08-05-2005, 2:28 PM
Mike, that’s an interesting idea but I don’t think it will work. If you look closely you’ll notice that the top drum pulley has a crown to it (mine does). I don’t think you would ever get the two belts to track independently. If you could somehow attach the belts to each other, I think it would work. It’s a cool idea, it would be nice if Klingspor (sp?) or someone could manufacture it, I’d certainty buy them.

Mike Weaver
08-05-2005, 2:34 PM
Bruce,
Yeah I forgot about the crowned roller...your probably right. Tracking could be a problem.

Oh well - I said it might be silly...:eek:

-Mike

Frank Chaffee
08-05-2005, 2:58 PM
Mike, how about trying this:

Adhere (2) 3”x48” belts to a 6”x48” belt. You will need to cut the 6” belt on the 6” dimension and remove a thin strip so it fits on the inside radius of the two 3” belts.

Then document the sequence of operations and the adhesive used and share them with us so we can do it too!

Thanks,
Frank

Don Baer
08-05-2005, 3:02 PM
Ok I learned this from my younger son. Use Duct tape on the inside to attach the two belts together. Just butt them next to each oher and using duct tape on the inside you can make them as one. You'll have to do it in sections but it will work.

Jerry Solomon
08-05-2005, 3:05 PM
Mike - I saw this on the Rockler site the other day. Never tried it but it might be what you are looking for:

http://www.rockler.com/
stock no.: 26678

It's a 6x48 belt with half 80 grit and the other half 120 grit.

Good luck - Jerry

Mike Weaver
08-05-2005, 3:10 PM
Mike - I saw this on the Rockler site the other day. Never tried it but it might be what you are looking for:

http://www.rockler.com/
stock no.: 26678

It's a 6x48 belt with half 80 grit and the other half 120 grit.

Good luck - Jerry

Thanks! For that price though, I'll change belts. That's a bit steep.
Still, an interesting concept.

Cheers,
-Mike

Mike Weaver
08-05-2005, 3:11 PM
Ok I learned this from my younger son. Use Duct tape on the inside to attach the two belts together. Just butt them next to each oher and using duct tape on the inside you can make them as one. You'll have to do it in sections but it will work.

Don,
Thanks!
I'll have to track down some 3x48 bwlts to try that with.

-Mike