PDA

View Full Version : Introduction - New Woodworker!

Tim Cooper Louisiana
04-07-2015, 10:26 PM
Hello everyone,

I am an aspiring woodworker, from North Louisiana. I'm brand new to the craft, though I have been interested for several years. I am curious to see if there are any fellow woodworkers in the area that might be willing to mentor me? I'm not really planning on using hand tools, but any experience would be welcome. I have not had much luck finding any active WW groups in my area.

I am 40 years old, but I consider myself a fairly good student. I'm also good at fetching coffee and donuts. I know this is probably a wild shot in the dark, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I will end this awkwardly now, as it is starting to feel like online dating.

Thanks!

ed vitanovec
04-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Welcome Tim! There are lots of skilled people in this forum and will help with any questions you have, do not be shy to ask.

Kent A Bathurst
04-07-2015, 11:00 PM
Welcome. Ask away. Everyone here knew nothing at some point in time [except George WIlson, I'm pretty sure who was born knowing everything] so this is a great group, who mistaked their way up the learning curve. Hopefully, can shorten your curve.

North Loosiana.......you got crawfish up there, or are they only down south? Man - I have had the best crawfish of my life [in season] in some small towns in southern/central Loosiana......

Tim Cooper Louisiana
04-08-2015, 8:18 AM
Welcome. Ask away. Everyone here knew nothing at some point in time [except George WIlson, I'm pretty sure who was born knowing everything] so this is a great group, who mistaked their way up the learning curve. Hopefully, can shorten your curve.

North Loosiana.......you got crawfish up there, or are they only down south? Man - I have had the best crawfish of my life [in season] in some small towns in southern/central Loosiana......

That's a yes on the crawfish. Unfortunately, the rest of the food isn't nearly as good as it is in South Louisiana.

I've been lurking these forums for a few years. I was going through my tools trying to figure out what I have, when I realized that i bought a Milwaukee 5616-24 router kit in 2008. I've used it once, so I imagine it's in pretty good condition :). I've recently moved into a new house, and I finally have some space to start on some projects. I plan on building a shop at some point, but for now I'll be in the garage. I'm going to start on a work bench tomorrow.

My tools:

Rigid 4512 TS, just picked this up the other day.
Milwaukee 4616-24 Router
Bosch 1590 Jigsaw
Hitachi 12" Dual bevel compound Miter Saw
Milwaukee Fuel 18v Impact Driver(2), Drill/Driver, Hammer Drill, Circular saw, 1 hand Reciprocating Saw, Multi-tool
Festool Domino XL 700 - Yep, sometimes I make decisions that aren't easy to comprehend :)

I think that is about it. I'm pretty sure a jointer and planer are next on my list, but I figure I should make some sawdust first.

Thanks!

William A Johnston
04-08-2015, 2:03 PM
Tim,

Its awesome you like this craft. You have a nice assortment of tools. You said your new to this. I assume you are comfortable with using power tools? Have you done any type of carpentry? Like installing crown molding, base mold, cabinets, built an oudoor deck ect...? I joined this forum for the exact reason you did to learn or should I say expand my craft, you will find a wealth of information on here not only by posting but also using the search feature.

Good luck and all I can say is safety first and get comfortable with all your tool's and learn how they sound when working properly as they will sound and act totally different when in a bind or your pushing them too hard.

Erik Loza
04-08-2015, 2:41 PM
I don't have any suggestions for you other than to say that you are in a great area for interesting lumber. My wife and I have several tables we commissioned a ww'er friend from LA to build out of salvaged Katrina lumber. Great resources in your area. Best of luck,

Erik

Rick Potter
04-08-2015, 2:46 PM
Welcome Tim,

I notice you jumped in the Creek with both feet, and became a contributor right away. Classy.

You will find that if you ask, it will be answered. Lots of helpful people here.

Can I borrow your domino?;)

Rod Sheridan
04-08-2015, 3:00 PM
Hi Tim, welcome to the forum.

As other's have stated this is a great place to come for information.

It might help if you put your location in your profile so people near you could offer to help.

I would, I'm just a bit far away.

Regards, Rod.

Prashun Patel
04-08-2015, 3:08 PM
Welcome to the Creek!
Human mentors are invaluable. I would suggest though you join a local club so you can have several mentors.

That being said, I learned completely on the Internet, Youtube, here, and Fine Woodworking (I'd start @ StartWoodWorking.com).

"I'm not really planning on using hand tools..."

Don't count that out yet...

Mike Heidrick
04-08-2015, 5:21 PM
Hi Tim. Welcome. What tools are handy to you and what space is available to fill up the rest with tools lol?

Ana White has a lot of projects that are good to start with as well if you look at her site ana-white dot com.

I am a fan of starting with shop furniture and organization to build your skill set.

You thinking of mostly power tools then? A few awesome hand tools really help out a power shop. (Block plane and chisels at minimum)

Welcome once again from another 40 year old in IL. Mikie

Tim Cooper Louisiana
04-08-2015, 5:42 PM
Tim,

Its awesome you like this craft. You have a nice assortment of tools. You said your new to this. I assume you are comfortable with using power tools? Have you done any type of carpentry? Like installing crown molding, base mold, cabinets, built an oudoor deck ect...? I joined this forum for the exact reason you did to learn or should I say expand my craft, you will find a wealth of information on here not only by posting but also using the search feature.

Good luck and all I can say is safety first and get comfortable with all your tool's and learn how they sound when working properly as they will sound and act totally different when in a bind or your pushing them too hard.

I've done moldings and put in some laminate floors. I'm not that great at it, but I've done quite a bit of general carpentry. My skill level is way lower than I'd like it to be.

Kent A Bathurst
04-08-2015, 6:06 PM
You are in a good spot - learned carpentry first.

I never did - I was into www first. WHich makes me a lousy carpenter....I go nuts on a precision level that is not needed.

Tim Cooper Louisiana
04-08-2015, 10:54 PM
Hi Tim. Welcome. What tools are handy to you and what space is available to fill up the rest with tools lol?

Ana White has a lot of projects that are good to start with as well if you look at her site ana-white dot com.

I am a fan of starting with shop furniture and organization to build your skill set.

You thinking of mostly power tools then? A few awesome hand tools really help out a power shop. (Block plane and chisels at minimum)

Welcome once again from another 40 year old in IL. Mikie

Right now I only have a two car garage. I'd like to start planning for a shop, but I've never been in anyone's woodworking shop. That is one of the reasons I am hoping to find some people close by. Theory is great, but I'd love to see some shops and people in action!

I almost bought a router table the other day, but then thought I should make my own first. Tomorrow, I plan on starting my workbench build. It's from a video series at fine woodworking online. I plan on being methodical and thoughtful about the process. I hope it goes well!

mike mcilroy
04-08-2015, 11:01 PM
Welcome Tim

The people here are great and been helpful with every situation I have asked about. I have tried to return the favour when possible.

I almost bought a router table the other day, but then thought I should make my own first. Tomorrow, I plan on starting my workbench build.

These are two great projects to build skill for the "really good" stuff and you will probably save money and get something more solid than a lot of purchased ones.
For the work bench I recommend researching Christopher Schwartz Ruobo bench.
Enjoy!