PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection

John Gregory
08-05-2005, 1:35 PM
This subject comes up often and I am in the process of deciding to upgrade my system or not. I found this article (http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/toolguide/TT_DustCollection.pdf). It may be a little dated but still may be of some value. If money was not such an issue, decisions would be a little easier :D But even if our DC budget was unlimited, there are so many choices and options of what is best.

Mike Cutler
08-05-2005, 2:49 PM
John. It may be a little dated, but it is still very relevant information.

The woodworker in me finds articles like that interesting and informative, The process instrumentation technician in me kinda raises his eyebrows at the testing methodology and protocol, and sees all of the potentail flaws and errors that could lead to an inaccurate accumulation of empirical data. Case in point. The gentleman pictured on that article is using that pitot tube flow monitoring device incorrectly, and not adhering to standard ISA testing for that type of device.
Is it important that he's not using the device correctly? Not really. As long as the device is used incorrectly repeatedley, in the same physical dimenesion, the results can be very valid for a baseline value, and the inaccuracies negated.
Bottom line, better to have some form of dust collection than none.
Nice article John. Thanks for the post

Allan Johanson
08-05-2005, 4:17 PM
Good eye, Mike.

That's why when I do my testing I try to rig something up to hold the pitot tube steady and I usually clamp the magnehelic gauges to a piece of wood so they don't move. Those needles can move a lot with slight movements of the gauges.

The method I used to hold the pitot tube in the pic isn't meeting any official standards either, but it is consistent! Red Green would be proud. :D

Cheers,

Allan