PDA

View Full Version : Delta/Rockwell 20in Bansaw Restoration Questions

Greg Boles
04-07-2015, 4:10 PM
Hello everyone! first-time poster, but a long-time lurker here.

I’m in the process of restoring a Delta/Rockwell 20in Bandsaw, model 28-363 to be exact, and i’m having some interesting problems with the bearings on the lower shaft. Seeing as how i’ve seen a couple awesome restorations of essentially an identical saw to this one on this website, I thought there might be someone on here who could help.

I’m doing the project for a friend, and when he traveled to purchase the saw he noticed there was a pretty significant wobble in the lower wheel. The man he bought the saw from hadn’t used it much/didn’t know a whole lot about it, so my friend was able to haggle on the price more because of this issue. When I was given the project, I was simply told there was a wobble, and that the bearings would need to be replaced. I had planned on doing this anyways, and didn’t think much about it. However, when I pulled the lower drive-shaft housing apart, to my surprise I was met with a nearly brand-new set of bearings. They weren’t even dirty. However, the bearing on the wheel-side of the shaft seemed to be horribly over-sized internally, causing the wobble.

Upon closer inspection of the shaft, I noticed that the part of the shaft where the bearing sets is actually a smaller diameter than the threaded part in front of it which is designed to hold the lock-nut in place. When the new bearings were pressed on, whoever did it used a bearing that would fit over the threaded part, but gave no effort to eliminate play on the part where it seats up with the shoulder on the shaft. The part of the shaft in question almost looks like it was original to the design, and wasn’t turned down or worn-in.

Has anyone ever seen a shaft like this, or knows of a good way to fill in the gap to make the “new” bearing fit with no play?

Any forum research i’ve done has turned up nothing, and the exploded parts view in the owner’s manual i was able to find isn’t very forthcoming.

Attached are some pictures of the shaft to help with the issue.

310955 310956 310957 310958

Thanks for looking!

Matt Day
04-07-2015, 4:38 PM
Does the bearing that is called out in the parts list match that shaft diameter? If so, maybe the shaft was machined wrong.

Darren Brown
04-07-2015, 4:52 PM
Let me be the first to suggest old woodworking machines forum. Someone there will surely know the answer. At least you could find an exploded parts diagram. I can tell you there is no way a bearing is supposed to sit on that rough casting between the machined center spindle and the threaded portion. Something is NOT right there.

Rich Riddle
04-07-2015, 6:17 PM
I have two manuals that show your shaft. If you want the pdf files, then message your e-mail address.

Mel Miller
04-07-2015, 7:46 PM
That shaft looks like the bearing fit was worn down from a froze up bearing spinning on it. It's going to be easiest to replace that shaft rather than build up the worn area and remachine it. Then, check to make sure you have the correct bearings.

Myk Rian
04-07-2015, 7:50 PM
Take it to a machine shop that can weld it up to oversize, then turn it down.
owwm dot org is your friend on this one.

Carroll Courtney
04-07-2015, 9:43 PM
I would check on one of the machinist forums and see if someone there would be interested and making you a shaft or two.I don't think a machine shop will give you the time of day unless its very slow.If you can find a one man shop then maybe your best bet,here where I'm at for the most part machines shops are busy.Try here or any other forums,a hobbist will take it as a challenge http://www.hobby-machinist.com/?gclid=CJqC4_fDp8ECFYZzMgoduFYA5g

Mel Miller
04-07-2015, 11:12 PM
Take it to a machine shop that can weld it up to oversize, then turn it down.
owwm dot org is your friend on this one.

Are you familiar with that process and all it involves? How does that compare to the cost of just replacing the shaft?

Rich Riddle
04-08-2015, 12:06 AM
Are you familiar with that process and all it involves? How does that compare to the cost of just replacing the shaft?Old Delta parts aren't the easiest to find these days. Do you mean having one fabricated would cost less than repairing the shaft he owns?

Mel Miller
04-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Old Delta parts aren't the easiest to find these days. Do you mean having one fabricated would cost less than repairing the shaft he owns?
Repairing a shaft like that is not a simple task. For most people it's going to be cheaper (and better) to replace rather than repair.