PDA

View Full Version : Durable black paint for indoor stair case???

Frederick Ieppert
04-07-2015, 2:49 PM
I am getting ready to remodel our staircase. I will be using red oak for the stair treads and handrail, the risers and baulsters will be white. We are not 100% sure if we want gloss or satin black for the stair treads. As stated the stairs are indoors and are used daily. We need something that is durable. What products are available that you folks suggest? Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.

John TenEyck
04-07-2015, 3:41 PM
The grain is going to show through black paint unless you fill the grain. Assuming you are OK with that I think I'd use General Finishes WB Pro Floor System stain and topcoat.

https://generalfinishes.com/waterbase-floor-stains-topcoats

John

Frederick Ieppert
04-07-2015, 4:01 PM
Yes I do want the grain to show thru.

John TenEyck
04-07-2015, 5:03 PM
Cool; I like that look a lot. The GF products should work well. Another finishing option is WB Milk Paint followed by a WB floor rated topcoat. I keep mentioning WB topcoats because an OB one will yellow over time and change the underlying color from black to probably a greenish tint. Not what I'd want.

John

Frederick Ieppert
04-07-2015, 9:29 PM
Yes we like that look a lot also. I have taken a look at the web site you linked and it looks like what I am looking for. I truly am grateful for the help that this site has provided me. I do not post very much because I am much more in the learning stages of woodworking, but I do enjoy reading and learning from this site. Thank you all.