PDA

View Full Version : Jumped off the deep end

Jesse Busenitz
04-07-2015, 1:04 PM
Ok, so I'm not a real big hand tool guy but they definitely have their spot, And when I saw this https://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?150407/BP9793/10 I couldn't pass it up. Coming from a school they've probably seen their share of abuse, but hopefully I can pick the cream of the crop to get me set up better for hand tooling and still come out ahead. Will post more pics after I get everything sorted out. This is like Christmas!!!!:D

Kent A Bathurst
04-07-2015, 1:29 PM
Yer in it neck deep now, brudda.

Good luck, and have fun.

Gave me a double-take - McPherson is where I was born..........

mike mcilroy
04-07-2015, 1:49 PM
Nice. Very nice.

Jim Koepke
04-07-2015, 2:40 PM
They wouldn't stay in Kansas if I were to have a crack at them.

Looks like a lot of useable tools in that pile.

Show us some pics of what you get to bring home.

jtk

Tony Zaffuto
04-07-2015, 3:58 PM
"It's only just begun"..........

Eric Schubert
04-07-2015, 5:09 PM
Holy. Crap. You lucky dog, you!

Brian Holcombe
04-07-2015, 5:56 PM
Saw files! Stat!

Jesse Busenitz
04-07-2015, 6:08 PM
It appears several of the irons and caps are gone... seems like used parts are fairly available. Just noticed the description said "sanding blocks" were they referring to the planes????!!! Seller is asking if next week works for pickup.... "Well not really!!!" Hopefully I can get my hands on them sooner than that!

Jesse Busenitz
04-10-2015, 1:25 PM
So I was finally able to pick up the stuff today. Yes!!! Now to sort everything out....

Jesse Busenitz
04-10-2015, 1:34 PM

Oh and I also got a couple braces. So....some of these things have seen better days, but i think most of it should clean up nice. It looks like a lot of the iron caps and blades have been switch around, also someone was very hand with a power drill:mad: The first pic of saws are all Diston, mostly D-23 and D-8. Second pic as a Stanley SH miter saw I believe. Questions. Do they still make corrugated soles or is that "older" tec? On the blades is there a way to tell which model they may have gone to? When selling do most people prefer to clean up their own plane( will I get more if I clean them up and resharpen, then sell?) Open to any advice/suggestions! Jess

Daniel Rode
04-10-2015, 2:03 PM
I'm disappointed. Harold never posted the "You Suck!" congratulations :)

You'll be busy with this haul for a little while. I'll bet there are some real gems in there. Maybe some nice sanding block as well!

Bill White
04-10-2015, 2:09 PM
Just send me what ya don't want. You are a tool "PIG". :)
Bill

Malcolm Schweizer
04-10-2015, 2:19 PM
I'm really liking that long miter saw. Very nice haul ya got there. Lots of good stuff.

Jim Koepke
04-10-2015, 2:52 PM
On the blades is there a way to tell which model they may have gone to? When selling do most people prefer to clean up their own plane( will I get more if I clean them up and resharpen, then sell?) Open to any advice/suggestions! Jess

Here is a place to tell you the blade's period of manufacture:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/stantms.htm

You will not make much if anything for doing the cleaning. If you do find an gem of a plane it might be worth a clean if it will garner collector interest. Still some my prefer to do their own clean up to look at what kind of wood is under the hood.

Your best bet for selling is to have clear pictures of all the interest points. Clearly show any damage and describe it the best you can.

When I was looking for planes my favorite pictures were a clear shot of behind the frog to see adjustment screws and patent dates. Clear image of the back of the blade, cap iron and lever cap to see if there was any damage, pitting or rust.

A close up of the mouth and a shot of the sole are also helpful for buyers looking for a solid user.

Clear shots of the tote and knob. I tended to shoot the bad side or all sides. The area around the toe was also of interest to me since most of mine have been converted to low knobs.

One good reason for giving the blades a honing would be to include shavings in the picture taken from the actual plane. This would assure folks who are looking for a good user. Some people do not worry about type as much as they want something that is going to work for them right away. Of course most of them would likely take some shaving as is and let the buyer do all the work.

Maybe a mix of some you have tuned and some "as is."

You might want to check them all to keep the best for yourself.

jtk

Jesse Busenitz
04-10-2015, 3:13 PM
Another couple questions.... I'm trying to find info on the big corrugated plane which has the De0b inside a diamond. Also almost all the #5s have what looks to be stainless caps, is this right? There's one corrugated bailey & one corrugated stanley USA, and two of the Diamond Edge as well. I sharpened one of the Stanley scrapers and man that thing works nice! Never used one of those before.

Chuck Hart
04-10-2015, 5:34 PM
If you are going to sell the saws you should be able to generate enough money to pay for the whole mess. Nice grab. I would clean up the saws you will get more for them if you do. The planes are a mixed bag. They all depend on condition, scarcity, and market. I sure would like to be in your shoes. By the way YOU SUCK!

Chuck

Rick Whitehead
04-10-2015, 10:42 PM
Nice haul!
The DE 8 is the equivalent of the Stanley No. 8, their largest jointer plane.DE or Diamond Edge, was a trademark of the Shapleigh Hardware Company of St. Louis. The plane itself was probably made for Shapleigh by Stanley, Sargeant ,or another plane maker of the time.Unfortunately, yours has some problems. The hang hole in the toe is a drawback to collectors, and I think that the hard rubber handle is broken. Both of those defects reduce the value of the plane to a collector.
Most of the other tools I see in your photos seem to be user rather than collector items. Most of the bench planes seem to be Stanley No. 5's or 5-1/2's. They are pretty common, and some have broken handles. My advice would to learn what type they are, and make up as many complete ones as you can.Keep what you want, and clean, sharpen, and sell the rest of them as users, emphasizing their cleanliness and sharpness. However, don't repaint them or attempt to flatten the sole. Let the buyer do that, if they want to.
The block planes seem to be the Stanley all-steel No. 118, not all that desirable to a collector. They make nice users, though. I used to have one in my tool box. Since they are all-steel, they don't break if you drop them on to concrete.I'd clean and sharpen them and sell them as users.
I agree with Chuck about the saws. Clean them up and make sure the ones you sell have straight blades.
The router plane and the scrapers can probably be sold as is. The lathe tools are high-carbon steel, not the currently fashionable high-speed steel. I would clean them up,re-grind them with a nice clean bevel and sharpen them. I think I'd try to put them together in sets and sell them that way first.
You have a lot of good tools with a lot of potential. Good luck with them!
Rick

Matthew Hutchinson477
04-10-2015, 10:54 PM
Planning on selling what you don't want I assume?

Jesse Busenitz
04-11-2015, 10:50 AM
Planning on selling what you don't want I assume?

Yeah, basically they're all 5's & 118's plus the 8, router, and scrapers. Same on the saws a bunch of D-8s and D-23s so I'll probably end up keeping a couple and selling the rest. Right now I'm really busy with work ( good thing as I'm starting up my own cabinet/furniture shop) so it may be a bit before I start selling them. Thanks for all the info so far!