PDA

View Full Version : Help identify this hardwood, ironwood ?

Ryan Bodnarchuk
04-07-2015, 11:27 AM
I picked up some off cuts and "anything from this pile" on the weekend from a cabinet shop that he sold and was retiring. Wish I had more cash with me.

but, I did get some Cherry, walnut and maple for 50 cents a linear foot. the cherry was 2 inch by 6 inch and about 6 feet long ( found 4 of those in the pile ), $3 each... probably the best deal.

but, I also grabbed a few blocks of this other wood, he talked about for a minute, but I totally forgot what kind of wood it was. Said it was heavier and does not float or burn.

here are a couple pictures. $5 each, and I really liked the look of it. no idea what to do with it yet though.

Do you know what it is ?

Jim Flynn
04-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Looks like ipe to me....

Ryan Bodnarchuk
04-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Yes, that would be it then. the pronunciation on IPE is "Eee-pay" , which rings a bell now.

thanks Jim, it is IPE.

Matt Krusen
04-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Ipe is gorgeous, love it. Have fun sharpening!

Mel Fulks
04-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Good stuff . Best used for something that does not need gluing since it shrinks for a long time, so dense.

Peter Quinn
04-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Looks like cumaru to me, looks unlike any IpE I've ever seen. Cumaru is very heavy/hard, doesn't have the yellowish mineral streaks typical of IpE, does have the pronounced slightly open grain structure and reddis hue as the examples in your photos. It also has a wide color variation, from fairly coco brown to almost mahogany red.

the larger piece in the back ground of the first picture may well be IpE. More typical of IpE color and grain.