PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on my next tool

Hoang N Nguyen
04-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Hi guys, I'm new here and this is my first post and would love some feedback. A little back story, I started wood working about 2 years ago and love it! I've been able to build a few things around the house that I'm very proud of. My first big project was a torsion table top with cabinets and drawers for the work shop. The last big project was 2 huge 6'x9' built in cabinet and shelve for my living room. I started out with cheap Craftsman tools from sears at first and now I'm slowly upgrading all my tools. So far I have:

Dewalt 12" double bevel sliding miter saw
Dewalt 750X 13" planer
Dewalt Jig saw
Dewalt Circular saw
Sawstop 1.75hp cabinet table saw
Powermatic 8" jointer with helical head (Still putting her together and tuning so haven't even used it yet)
Jet 1HP DC650-BK
Delta drill press (older model I got off Craigslist)
Cheap skil router table from lowes with a craftsman router mounted to it

What I want to buy:
New, bigger, better dust collector
New, bigger, better router table with a lift (saw one from Rockler I like)
Band saw (looking at the Laguna)
Drum sander
CNC router :D

Of course I can't buy all the things I want at one time, so I'd love to hear some feedback from you guys on what should be my next purchase. Thanks in advance!

Mike Cutler
04-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Hoang N Nguyen

Next in my opinion is the band saw. With the band saw you complete your ability to mill rough lumber, which really expands your project/ wood working possibilities. You do need to get some better dust collection going, but I'd still look at the band saw as my next machine choice.

Oh, and one more thing;
Welcome to Sawmill Creek. :D

Art Mann
04-07-2015, 11:21 AM
If you decide on going with the band saw, I just purchased a Laguna 14/twelve model. After a week of use, I couldn't be happier. The resaw speed, accuracy and capacity are all I need.

One thing you might consider is to buy a router table top and lift and then build your own custom cabinet to mount it on with everything just how you want it.

Jim Dwight
04-07-2015, 11:37 AM
I really like my router table. It is the general layout of Norm Abram's (New Yankee Workshop) but has a home made lift based upon a design in an old American Woodworker magazine. The top is a sink cutout (high density particle board topped with laminate) edged with maple. The top tilts up for bit changes - which is VERY handy.

I honest think you can make a better router table than you can buy. Buy a lift if you must but build the rest. Look around for You-tubes and plans and adapt the best of each.

For a DC, there are a lot of people using the inexpensive HF unit. It think they call it a 2hp. It is often available for about $150. You would need to add better filtration unless you vent it outside. I would add an Oneida Supper Dust Deputy cyclone to it. I use a dust deputy on my shop vacuum and love it. It gets almost all the dust and debris and puts it in an easy to empty drywall bucket. Filter cleaning is much less frequent. I believe the Super Dust Deputy will do the same for your DC. If you vent it inside, I would get a cartridge filter for it. I have one on my old Delta AP-400. I am not sure I am setting it up due to limited space in the new shop. I may just use the shop vacuum. Having a plumbed DC was nice but it takes up a bunch of space and that is at a premium in my 14x24 shop garage.

It matters a lot what you want to do. I would think the router table would be the most used but that assumes you want to make furniture. I used mine a lot when I had a setup shop (which is in progress). But for the house stuff I am doing these days, it doesn't get used.

I would buy a track saw before anything other than a router table on your list. I resisted it for a long time but I find I use my table saw a lot less because I like using the track saw. I am cutting up sheet goods these days and the tracksaw is a much better way to do it than a table saw. It is safer and easier to move a saw than a sheet of plywood. I have a DeWalt but if I was starting over, I think I would get a Makita. There is also the less expensive Grizzly and if you want the deluxe model there are two Festools. I think some of the Festool accessories would work with the Makita (like the parallel guide). I had to make my own for the DeWalt - but it is a nice tool.

glenn bradley
04-07-2015, 11:54 AM
Dust collection should come first but, since you past that I would focus your attention there now. I kept my old 1HP bag unit, added a properly sized upper bag and use it for the jointer alone. This has worked out well for me as the bagger stands in an awkward corner. Your shop layout may dictate different. I have a 2HP cyclone and let the fact that fitting a 3HP in would have required a bit more effort. I truly wish I would have gotten the bigger unit. The 2HP does well but, could be better ;-) Do not cheap-out on your DC. Your health is important before you damage it . . . wish I would have listened to folks telling me that early-on myself.

Bruce Page
04-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Hoang, welcome to SawMill Creek. A lot of us started with lesser quality tools and upgraded from there, your upgrades look excellent so far. I think next on my list would be a solid router table (build or buy) followed by a more substantial Dust collector, especially if you plan on getting a drum sander. There are many DC's to choose from but Oneida is still the leader IMO.

Enjoy the journey!

Matt Krusen
04-07-2015, 12:05 PM
I would suggest you go for the bandsaw next. It will really enhance the capabilities of your shop. Next would be a good router table setup. And like others have said, you'll want to upgrade your dust collection at some point. But for now, maybe just buy a 1 micron filter for now until you can afford to upgrade. Lastly would be the drum sander. They are amazing tools and I love having one, but they are certainly a luxury tool and not necessary to do quality work. Get one when you can afford to and you'll never regret it, but its definitely lower on the priority list.

Hoang N Nguyen
04-07-2015, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the great replies so far guys, keep them coming! I guess I should add a bit more detail about my shop. My shop is in a 2 car garage but it has an extra wing that extends out about 10 feet and is the depth of the garage itself on the left side of my garage. My shop table is located there along with my miter saw and some other tools hanging on the wall on that side. My table saw and DC is in front of the cars since I have plenty of room depth wise and my jointer is sitting along the wall on the right side of the garage. It's safe to say that I'm running out of room to store my power tools and will likely have to park a car outside if I continue to buy more big machines. Almost everything is on a mobile base and has to be moved in and out when I start a project.

As of right now, I don't see myself using a band saw that often since I haven't had the need for one YET. I would see myself using a router table much more then a band saw at my current skill level as well as future projects in mind. Although I know these are the 2 main tools I want to buy very soon just to have it if I ever do need it.

So far my Jet DC has done what I've asked of it but I know I can always do better with DC. I also have a Jet 1000CFM air filtration system hanging from my garage to help with saw dust and I also wear a mask every time I know I'll be making a lot of saw dust. I guess this is why my decision is so hard to make. I know I need to upgrade my DC but already have one at the moment. I know I need to upgrade my router table since I use it often and the one I have now is crap but at the same time that money could be used for a band saw since I don't have one but want one.

Erik Christensen
04-07-2015, 5:31 PM
What you build and how you like to go about it are the biggest factors in choosing the next 'best' tool to consider - and only you know the answers to those questions. I am building a lot of cabinet cases and large quantities of cabinet drawers, drawer fronts & doors these days as my house needs all new cabinets for: 2 kitchens, 2 offices, 4 bathrooms, master closet, laundry, etc. I have tooling & fixtures suited for that kind of work. My buddy has the same shop area I do (3 car garage) but he builds fine furniture so we both have 'wood shops' but the tool mix is very different. I have a shaper w power feeder for production work, while my buddy has a router table and extensive bit collection - both do kinda the same thing but their suitability is dependent on intended use.

that said - some things to consider - hand tools (think planes & scrapers to start), track saw for sheet goods, good sanders (ones with great dust collection), HEPA vacuum, good hand held router and good sprayer (3 stage turbine HVLP minimum)

Rich Riddle
04-07-2015, 5:52 PM
I vote for the band saw as well. Just make sure you purchase one big enough for your needs. Many woodworkers here buy one, then upgrade, then upgrade, then upgrade again. Some like Dave K. end up with a barn full of band saws because they can't part with the previous smaller versions.