PDA

View Full Version : Minimax F31 buzzing?

Larry Edgerton
04-07-2015, 7:45 AM
My F31 Jointer buzzes sometimes when it is off. Not an electrical wizard by any means, what should I look for. Its 220 single phase. It doesn't do it all the time but the last few days when shut off it will buzz a little bit. not real noisy but I can hear it. I have been unplugging it but need to take care of it.

If you can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.......

Larry

Robert LaPlaca
04-07-2015, 8:47 AM
Larry, FWIW my MM FS41-Elite buzzes also when it is shutoff, so you are not alone.. My machine has another rotary switch that completely powers off the machine, when I am not using the machine for awhile I shut it off with the master rotary switch cause the noise is annoying.. I think someone at MM said it was the low voltage switch coils making the noise..

Erik Loza
04-07-2015, 9:02 AM
Gents, I have had machines do this when the supply voltage was low, like near the low threshhold of being able to power the motor. Say, around 205V or perhaps 208V. Remember: The native motor voltage is 230 volts, not 220V (as is the case with pretty much any Euro motor...), so if the motor is only seeing, say, 208V, it is already getting only 90% of the voltage it really wants.

I have not personally seen or heard of anyone having shortened motor life or other issues due of this, just the annoying buzz. Like Robert said, you can simply shut off the master switch (if a combo machine) or unplug it (if bandsaw) if it bothers you.

Erik

Jim Becker
04-07-2015, 5:50 PM
I will add to this that some motors are more sensitive to this than others...a few years ago I had to add a voltage transformer to my S315WS slider because the line voltage coming from the road was getting too variable and low. I not only got the buzz, I sometimes got "nothing". Sam suggested the transformer and it solved the issue once and for all. Interestingly, neither my FS350 J/P or MM16 BS cared...just the saw.

Larry Edgerton
04-08-2015, 6:28 AM
Good to know Jim, thanks. I have been contemplating buying that saw when I get my larger shop set up.

I do have power issues. I am on the end of the road an the edge of a large state forest and the line coming in is small. I sold my wide belt because there is not enough power here to run it. As it is when I kick on my 50 hp phase converter my neighbors lights flicker. They want 27K to upgrade the line coming in so I am just going to have to work with what I have.

The low power idea may explain why it buzzes sometimes and sometimes no. I'll have my electrician check next time he is out. I don't push the issue because I am not paying commercial rates and zoning wise its iffy me even running a shop in this area. They leave me alone because it is so remote, but I am not going to poke the bear either.

Thanks, Larry

Rich Riddle
04-08-2015, 6:49 AM
Do you mean that you shut it off and it buzzes for a few seconds after shut-off? If that is the only time it buzzes, then it's fine. Many machines do that for five or even ten seconds or so....

Chris Parks
04-08-2015, 9:16 AM
My Hammer K3 does the same and I always assumed it was something to do with the blade brake but perhaps not. It hasn't blown up yet to I leave it alone.

Robert LaPlaca
04-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Gents, I have had machines do this when the supply voltage was low, like near the low threshhold of being able to power the motor. Say, around 205V or perhaps 208V. Remember: The native motor voltage is 230 volts, not 220V (as is the case with pretty much any Euro motor...), so if the motor is only seeing, say, 208V, it is already getting only 90% of the voltage it really wants.

I have not personally seen or heard of anyone having shortened motor life or other issues due of this, just the annoying buzz. Like Robert said, you can simply shut off the master switch (if a combo machine) or unplug it (if bandsaw) if it bothers you.

Erik

Erik, you have me wondering.. This machine is now in a new shop, that has nothing in combination with the old shop, except the machine and the power cord, even the power company is different than my prior supplier! So now I am wondering if its the power cord on the machine, its an 8' length of 10/3 SJEOW with a NEMA L6-30... Checked with a digital volt meter the voltage on the machine side connections, 120V on each leg to ground and 240V hot to hot..

Erik Loza
04-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Erik, you have me wondering.. This machine is now in a new shop, that has nothing in combination with the old shop, except the machine and the power cord, even the power company is different than my prior supplier! So now I am wondering if its the power cord on the machine, its an 8' length of 10/3 SJEOW with a NEMA L6-30... Checked with a digital volt meter the voltage on the machine side connections, 120V on each leg to ground and 240V hot to hot..

240V sounds fine. Sure, I would check the cable.

Erik