PDA

View Full Version : SCMI Minimax delivered the wrong saw... What would you do?

Dipan Patel
04-06-2015, 9:15 PM
A few years ago I started on the project of a dream woodshop and it is finally getting close. I had a Minimax multifunction machine and a dust collector (being delivered tomorrow actually) as the basic beginnings of a woodshop.

Back then I visited Sam Blasco's shop south of Austin to check out how a multifunction machine works and I was convinced it was the way I wanted to go. Took me another year or so to pull the trigger on a demo machine that came up for a good deal from Minimax. It was new but may have been to a show or something. I wanted the 8.5' slider as I felt I had the room for it and he already envisioned myself making tables, doors, and full height cabinets and bookshelves. So I ordered it. It came and with some incredible effort and assistance from a shipping company we got the gigantic and heavy crate into the garage. Took the box off and inspected it. It looked like it survived the trip from Italy well.

Then it sat for less than two years on its pallet in my woodshop. The machine was manufactured in 2014 probably closer to one year than two. Many times I wanted to unpack it, but it ended up taking a back seat to something or other. Amongst other things, we had a major remodel of our home done, my father passed away, etc.

Anyway, I finally get it off the pallet and unpack all the accessories. After discovering that the saw doesn't ship with a main blade, I order one and continue by inspections. The slider is shorter than I would have guessed, but I'm still not sure so I look up pictures on the Internet. At this point I contact Sam again and ask him about it. Turns out they shipped me the 5.5' sliding table version of the saw.

SCMI has replied that they will cover shipping of the saw back to them but are asking me to pay half the freight. They will send me the right machine and a new warranty as my old machine was actually out of warranty.

My problem with this was that I had to hire a shipping company to bring it to me from the airport freight terminal and this alone was $600. If I have to hire them to pick it up and deliver the new one the warranty is hardly any consolation. And I have to pay for half the freight.

I don't have much experience with these big machines and delivery and was hoping you guys would have some advice....

Somewhat sad way to spend my 45th birthday (today)!

David Kumm
04-06-2015, 9:31 PM
Just so I understand. The crate was off, the machine inspected, but you didn't see that the sliding table was 3 feet short? Dave

Jim Andrew
04-06-2015, 9:46 PM
If you do not take the deal, you will probably have the 5.5' slider the rest of your life. Personally, I think the company is giving you a very good deal. Pay the freight.

Dipan Patel
04-06-2015, 9:48 PM
Yes, that's right. I really would not have figured it out until I got to this stage. It is a fairly complex machine and I'm not sure, not having any real experience with sliders, that I would have figured it out even if I unpacked it right away, until I got to the stage of playing with it and seeing how it worked, where I am now...

Dipan Patel
04-06-2015, 9:50 PM
Thanks for your opinion. I'm thinking this is probably my best option too. I hope they will cover expenses to my door though.

Ellen Benkin
04-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Two years! Take the deal. They are being more than fair (IMHO).

James Zhu
04-06-2015, 10:06 PM
5.5' and 8.5' slider is a huge difference. I am also very surprised that MiniMax did not figure out they shipped the wrong combo within 2 years until you called them.

Max Neu
04-06-2015, 10:13 PM
I would do what you have to do to get the machine that you need.If you need a 8.5' slider,then send it back,you are too far invested in this to settle for something that won't meet your needs.You will regret it for a long time if you don't send it back and get the one you really need.

Matt Day
04-06-2015, 10:15 PM
That's a tough one, sounds like your in quite a bind.

I think you kind of missed the boat (no pun intended) by waiting so long. I don't know much about sliders but I'm guessing the difference between a 5.5' and 8.5' would be pretty obvious? It seems fair that Minimax asked for half the shipping, but it's hard to hold them accountable for the extra rigging/shipping as well.

If it truly is your dream shop, I think you should pay for the shipping/rigging fees and get what you want.

Lesson learned, the hard way!

Frank Martin
04-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Agree with others that you should send it back. Given the amount of time that has passed I think Minimax offered you a very reasonable solution.

Andrew Joiner
04-06-2015, 11:34 PM
What did the paperwork say when paid? Did you pay for an 8.5' slider?

David Kumm
04-06-2015, 11:41 PM
What did the paperwork say when paid? Did you pay for an 8.5' slider?

Doesn't sound like MM is contesting they screwed up. Issue is waiting over a year to identify it. Both parties here are at fault and both will take a bath. MM won't sell the machine for what they would have gotten a year ago and buyer will pay for not examining it sooner. Sounds fair. I can identify, done things that have cost me. Dave

Dipan Patel
04-07-2015, 12:50 AM
The machine is still new. It still has the cosmolene sticky stuff on it. My job this week was to take it off. I think SCM will be able to resell it as new or at some discount. Prices for these are higher now than when I bought it. I did pay for an 8.5' slider, so there was no mixup on the paperwork. Sam checked that first off.

I'm thankful for all the advice. I guess they are being reasonable. I just hope I don't take a bath on the shipping. I already know I will be spending at least a few hours making a pallet for the saw to go back, and a couple more boxing up the accessories. I just threw those boxes out in the recycle trash. Just a few weeks ago I ripped up the pallet it came on. It was a bit beat up otherwise I would have salvaged some of the wood. Too bad I didn't have the sense to know that it wasn't the right saw a month ago, or better yet, a year ago.

Joe Jensen
04-07-2015, 1:47 AM
I would chalk up the cost of the shared freight as the cost of not really inspective for 1-2 years later. Sounds like SCMI is being reasonable.

paul cottingham
04-07-2015, 2:07 AM
I don't know. They sent him the wrong saw. And a less expensive one, correct? They should swallow all of the costs of making it right.

John Sanford
04-07-2015, 2:50 AM
My problem with this was that I had to hire a shipping company to bring it to me from the airport freight terminal and this alone was $600. If I have to hire them to pick it up and deliver the new one the warranty is hardly any consolation. And I have to pay for half the freight.

I don't have much experience with these big machines and delivery and was hoping you guys would have some advice....

Somewhat sad way to spend my 45th birthday (today)!
Airport Freight Terminal? What the???? $600 !!!

Something is wrong on this aspect.

Mike Cutler
04-07-2015, 7:41 AM
I don't know. They sent him the wrong saw. And a less expensive one, correct? They should swallow all of the costs of making it right.

Paul
I see your point, but at the same time I look at the time interval that has gone by and can see theirs. I think that had the OP discovered the issues in the first few weeks, they probably would have just sent out the correct saw and picked up the incorrect model.
At the same time I also see Dipan Patel's dilemma, the saw is protected in a big crate, all the parts look pretty substantial, he's never put one together so he might not have been able to tell he had the wrong size without beginning to assemble it. I too probably would have left it in the shipping crate where it was protected given the same situation.

Bill Adamsen
04-07-2015, 9:43 AM
The manufacturer is being very generous, and if indeed you want that longer saw, initiate the return.

Mike Hollingsworth
04-07-2015, 10:05 AM
I would keep the 5.5 slider. I've never needed more for my CU300.
Seems counterproductive to saving space. If I had the space, I'd have the shaper/saw and the jointer/planer combos.
IMHO, Festool Track Saw is a better upgrade.

Larry Edgerton
04-07-2015, 10:07 AM
I don't see the time factor as being at all important. The buyer is free to leave a saw in a crate if he chooses for whatever reason. This is not a small difference and the mistake is 100% the fault of the manufacturer. They should stand up and take responsibility for their mistake just because it is the right thing to do.

Wade Lippman
04-07-2015, 10:21 AM
I think their offer is extremely generous. Legally you have a reasonable period to inspect the shipment and complain about concealed problems. Reasonable is ill defined, but certainly rather less than 2 years; they owe you nothing. (odds are it wasn't even concealed, you had a obligation to refuse delivery; but that is moot now)

If taking it back after 2 years is the "right" thing to do, then how about 5 years? If 5 years, then why not 50 years? Does it stop being "right" at some special time?

Peter Aeschliman
04-07-2015, 10:33 AM
What is the price difference between the 8' and 5.5' sliders?

I imagine it's enough to make the shipping cost worth it. Even if it's a wash, the net benefit is yours because you have a more versatile machine.

Nick Stokes
04-07-2015, 10:44 AM
I would say you are looking at it the wrong way. At this point, your choices are limited... The real decision you have to make is:

Are you willing to pay ~$600 to trade your 5.5 for an 8 footer?

John Huds0n
04-07-2015, 11:12 AM
It looks like you have your location as San Antonio, TX

In my experience, MiniMax uses Estes and Estes has a terminal in San Antonio - Unless I am missing something - all you should have to do is get the old machine back to this terminal?

427 Gembler Road
San Antonio, TX 78219
(210) 222-8161

peter gagliardi
04-07-2015, 11:26 AM
If it were me, I'd take the offer, and say thank you! It's well past the companies window of time obligation, obviously they are trying to help you.

paul cottingham
04-07-2015, 1:45 PM
Crazy. They need to make it right. Period.

roger wiegand
04-07-2015, 1:49 PM
If you want the bigger unit then just say yes. Seems they are being fair in the circumstances, you pay some shipping but you get a full warranty. If you're happy with the smaller unit then negotiate for a return of some of the price differential.

Harold Weaver
04-07-2015, 2:10 PM
I'd agree with the others on this one. I'd send it back as fast as possible before they change their mind............

Phil Thien
04-07-2015, 2:19 PM
I'd agree with the others on this one. I'd send it back as fast as possible before they change their mind............

LOL, my sentiments exactly.

Chris Padilla
04-07-2015, 2:21 PM
Chalk it up as a lesson learned and graciously accept their deal.

They messed up and you messed up and so they are trying to meet you half way.

johnny means
04-07-2015, 3:46 PM
I don't see the time factor as being at all important. The buyer is free to leave a saw in a crate if he chooses for whatever reason. This is not a small difference and the mistake is 100% the fault of the manufacturer.

Yes, the buyer can do what he/she wants with the product. But to expect the seller to take back a two year old product at no cost to the buyer is obnoxious. Would you feel the same if the OP had used the saw for two years? What if it had been12 years? Surely the buyer bares some responsibility to see that the transaction completed and terms we met. The seller could have made good on their deal years ago and had a new, current model saw to sell. Now they are still trying to make good but will have a previously owned, old model to deal with.

Hey, you could just call it purchasing an extended warranty.

Dipan Patel
04-07-2015, 5:25 PM
I asked them to consider another option... Send me a new 8.5' slider and have someone do the swap. They are offering to send the new slider but I will be expected to do the swap, which is fine by me. And I can use the short slider in the meantime. Then I can drop off the short slider after the swap at Sam's workshop. He has offered to take it to Minimax in Atlanta instead of me shipping it out there. So no expenses or hassle of recrating this huge machine and uncrating another. I think this is my best option.

Jim Becker
04-07-2015, 5:43 PM
If the slider wagon is swappable, that's likely the best solution for both MM and you...less disruptive; less expensive and a whole lot less physical work, especially for you. And I'm sure that Sam and others will be able to provide you with advice on making sure things are aligned properly once you get the longer wagon on the machine. Their original offer was very reasonable considering the circumstances (mostly around the time that has passed) but this idea is better all around. (Enjoy your new machine!)

John Stankus
04-07-2015, 5:55 PM
I asked them to consider another option... Send me a new 8.5' slider and have someone do the swap. They are offering to send the new slider but I will be expected to do the swap, which is fine by me. And I can use the short slider in the meantime. Then I can drop off the short slider after the swap at Sam's workshop. He has offered to take it to Minimax in Atlanta instead of me shipping it out there. So no expenses or hassle of recreating athis huge machine and investing another. I think this is my best option.

Sounds like you have a reasonable option on getting it back to them. I was going to offer, if the difficulty was just getting the saw from your shop to the freight depot, that I have a small low trailer with a ramp. Granted it would mean getting it back into a crate for shipping. I'm on the Northside of San Antonio near Huebner and N.W. Military.

John

Mike Hollingsworth
04-07-2015, 6:09 PM
I don't have the huevos to even adjust the slider. I'll be looking forward to this swap.

Chris Padilla
04-07-2015, 6:21 PM
I asked them to consider another option... Send me a new 8.5' slider and have someone do the swap. They are offering to send the new slider but I will be expected to do the swap, which is fine by me. And I can use the short slider in the meantime. Then I can drop off the short slider after the swap at Sam's workshop. He has offered to take it to Minimax in Atlanta instead of me shipping it out there. So no expenses or hassle of recrating this huge machine and uncrating another. I think this is my best option.

Bingo!!! I'm glad you found an even better solution.

John Huds0n
04-07-2015, 6:37 PM

After you try to properly align and level a 8.5' slider - you may regret this decision.

You need to really think it through, it is no trivial matter. Do you have the proper tools, straight edges etc and the time/patience to do it?

mike mcilroy
04-07-2015, 6:56 PM
I think the company did ok by you. I believe most companies would not have entertained any thoughts at all of helping you out after almost 2 years. Sounds like they were even willing to keep working with you after you came up with different option from theirs.
I think I would eat the cost and send it back the, points about getting that altered saw up to the standards of the new one are definitely worth considering.
Also, do they still have demo that you originally bought almost 2 years ago or are you getting brand new?

David Kumm
04-07-2015, 7:06 PM
Great when reasonable people on both sides reach a reasonable compromise. And yes, not much fun putting on a new slider, but I've never owned a machine that didn't need adjustment when put into service. Part of high end woodworking is figuring out how to max out the benefit of good quality stuff and knowing how the machine operates and how to set it up to work as it should. If your machine is set up perfectly after it has been transported around the world, you should buy a lottery ticket. Dave

Phil Thien
04-07-2015, 7:07 PM
After you try to properly align and level a 8.5' slider - you may regret this decision.

You need to really think it through, it is no trivial matter. Do you have the proper tools, straight edges etc and the time/patience to do it?

I thought they were designed to be field serviceable in a pretty straight-forward manner?

Chris Padilla
04-07-2015, 7:47 PM

I would hope that they are prepared to help the [OP] further to ensure this process goes smoothly.

Mike Heidrick
04-07-2015, 9:19 PM
Id pay for Sam to come over and do the swap. Money well spent.

Ray Jenkins
04-07-2015, 10:25 PM
I have the shorter slider and have been fine. I obviously don't do a lot with sheet goods. Keep the saw , have them refund the difference in price and get a festool saw and guide for sheet goods.

John Huds0n
04-07-2015, 11:12 PM
I thought they were designed to be field serviceable in a pretty straight-forward manner?

On my 5.5' CU300 there are 5 main bolts that attach the slider to the frame. Two on each end about the width of the slider and one in the middle on the outboard edge. (Because of the weight, the slider itself wants to tip inwards toward the saw blade which makes things awkward). These same 5 bolts are used to adjust the elevation, the angle of the slider in relation to the saw blade and the angle of the top of the slider in relation to the saw table (coplaner) When you adjust one bolt on one end - it is going to effect the adjustment at the other end.... Also - there are nuts on these bolts that are only accessible from inside the base - which means reaching through an access hole of some sort

Do you have the tools needed? At the very least, a couple of precision 24" straight edges. (Steel are around $65 each, Aluminum are approx $35 each) and some feeler gauges or maybe by some other method with a dial indicator or something. Did I mention it takes a lot of time and patience??

Keep in mind, these machines are crated up in Italy and shipped halfway around the world where they are not touched until the customer un-crates them. As David Kumm pointed out there is a good chance after traveling all that distance it is going to need adjusted anyways. Sometimes you just cant win for loosing...

Just about everything on my CU300 needed tweaked or shimmed - the slider, the shaper, and jointer tables. I read posts about jointer tables being dished .004 on a Grizzly or some other machine - well, .004 is within tolerance for a MiniMax table also....

Larry Edgerton
04-08-2015, 6:37 AM
Much better solution.......

Rich Riddle
04-08-2015, 7:08 AM
Changing out the slider seems far superior to changing saws. If needed, pay someone to adjust the slider. Simply perform measurements between the slider, blade, table, etc to ensure it's in alignment. While it might not prove easy, it shouldn't prove so difficult that someone with sufficient machining skills cannot perform the task.

David Kumm
04-08-2015, 8:37 AM
I still think MM did as well as anyone should expect here. You don't get a free pass forever if you don't take any personal responsibility to check stuff out. I run a business and every mistake made by any employee is my mistake. If I don't verify as a buyer, I still made a mistake. To his credit, the OP took a reasonable middle ground compromise that seemed fair to both sides. As to having to adjust the machine and " taking all the enjoyment away", I would argue that he may find more satisfaction in understanding how the machine is built, how it can be improved, what makes a machine good, better, and best. Life is all about learning, and spending money on machinery you don't have a clue how to adjust is unwise and dangerous. When I started I did things and put heads on a shaper that had no sense being there given the build of the quill. I shudder now at my stupidity. When I learned about machine design, quill and trunnion design, bearings, etc, etc, I could make much better decisions about the capabilities and the limitations of each machine. It becomes a separate part of the hobby but still important as you start to buy more expensive equipment. If you only know what a salesman tells you, you will know nothing. Dave

John Coloccia
04-08-2015, 9:12 AM
I agree that sending the slide is a way better solution all around, BTW. I had to re-crate a Jointer/Planer because the tables were way out of spec. That was just a miserable experience. I ended up hiring a safe moving buddy and his boss to help me uncrate and re-crate in a reasonable amount of time, and it still took hours. What a pain in the tuckus, but it was unavoidable in my case. :)

I'm not saying MM is some evil, horrible company. I'm still looking forward to getting back into the shop so I can justify an MM16. They really should help out a bit more here, though, IMHO. As I said, I think someone is just not really thinking it through, and if you poke a bit more you'll maybe get a little more help.

Bill Sutherland
04-08-2015, 10:03 AM
Time doesn't really matter. The question is ... what would the company do if you'd immediately notified them. Most likely the would have coughed up the cost of shipping and covered your cost as well. Whether it was two days ago two years ago they still would have spent the money to make you a happy customer and rectified THEIR MISTAKE.

mreza Salav
04-08-2015, 10:46 AM
I don't see a mistake made by the buyer. Yes, it is better to check things upon arrival to see if there is any mistake by others or not and try to notify them early but it is not buyers responsibility to find the sellers mistakes. They sent a wrong machine, they should take it back and send a right one, period. I suspect if they had sent a wrong machine that was costing 10x more than the machine he paid for they would be out there picking it up and sending the right machine.
I do have a MM machine and I think they are great.

Phil Thien
04-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Time doesn't really matter. The question is ... what would the company do if you'd immediately notified them. Most likely the would have coughed up the cost of shipping and covered your cost as well. Whether it was two days ago two years ago they still would have spent the money to make you a happy customer and rectified THEIR MISTAKE.

Ahhh. But they would have been able to resell that saw at a higher price, and as a buyer I would even be willing to pay NEW price for a saw that was immediately returned.

But after two years? Nope. They'd have to offer some sort of discount to me in order to get me to take that saw.

David Kumm
04-08-2015, 11:01 AM
When you accept delivery and sign off, you are transferring responsibility from the seller to yourself. That responsibility mandates you contact a seller about problems within a reasonable time. This wasn't an obscure part that was tough to identify. It was a sliding table 3' short. The OP gets that. Dave

Erik Loza
04-08-2015, 11:38 AM
I rebuilt the front end of my wife's 4Runner a few years back. Dropped the spindles and fresh wheel bearings off at the machine shop I had always used for press work and who had always done well by me. Put the front end back together, then dropped the vehicle off at the alignment place. Manager calls me later that day and says, "We have a problem, need you to come look at this...". They could not perform the alignment because one of the wheel bearings had been damaged during the pressing process. Of course, I had no reason to check the bearing after I picked it up from the machine shop because they had always done quality work for me in the past. Whose fault was it? The installer pointed the finger at the machine shop. The machine shop pointed the finger at the mfr., and the local dealer I got the bearing from said, "We can't refund on parts that have been installed". All the while, my wife was out of her daily driver. I could have spent days or perhaps even weeks screaming and yelling at folks but there was no guarantee that would get me any closer to a driveable car. So what did I do? I paid the shop to tear apart the front end I had just spent several days rebuilding in the middle of 100-degree August (as anyone who has done suspension work knows, the wheel bearings are in the center of everything, so it all else has to come back out to get to them...), replace the wheel bearing, themselves, then put it all back together. It cost me $1,000 and I had done zilch to deserve paying that.

Point being that bad luck happens to all of us. I don't know the gentleman in question but I do know Sam and I do know SCM Group NA management and will say that everybody on their side wants to resolve this situation to his satisfaction as quickly as possible. I realize this is the internet and that everyone is entitled to their opinion but why not give SCM some time to put a solution into action and then hear back from the actual owner on how he views things before telling everyone what you think they aren't doing right? Does that seem fair?

Erik

Chris Padilla
04-08-2015, 1:29 PM
When you accept delivery and sign off, you are transferring responsibility from the seller to yourself. That responsibility mandates you contact a seller about problems within a reasonable time. This wasn't an obscure part that was tough to identify. It was a sliding table 3' short. The OP gets that. Dave

Yep. Both parties to this were at fault. Both should own up and 'pay' their part. Time does matter.

And both parties have done this so wonderful! :)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2015, 1:29 PM
Folks,

From the "Read Me First" thread/sticky at the top of every forum here at SMC:

Before You Rant Read This December 20th, 2010

"It is the intent of SMC to permit the airing of concerns regarding the suitability of a particular product, or the quality or sufficiency of customer service provided by a vendor in any particular instance provided there is not a breach of contract component involved.

However, these threads often deteriorate into a "piling on" and develop a very negative tone. That doesn't assist other viewers in assessing the overall advisability of whether to buy this particular product, nor to assess the overall customer service provided by that manufacturer/vendor.

In order to be fair to the many vendors that provide woodworking products, the following policies will be in force:
The original poster must have first contacted the manufacturer/vendor and have attempted a solution PRIOR to posting the thread.
The original poster should provide factual details of the problem, and details of efforts that have been made with the manufacturer/vendor to rectify the problem.

Subsequent posts must be limited to suggestions to the original poster to assist in rectifying the problem - not to pile on because you had similar problems.

SMC is a woodworking forum. The intended purpose is to provide a community in which useful information may be shared among the members. Threads that do not achieve that purpose will be locked, or removed if necessary." SawMill Creek is not a Court of Law and we are not in a position to judge a breach of contract case here, therefore SawMill Creek will not become a stage or a courtroom for a legal dispute between two or more parties, it just isn't our mission.

The OP has met the requirements set forth in this sticky, some members have made good suggestions but the personal statements violate this and are going to be edited.

John Coloccia
04-08-2015, 1:38 PM
Completely agree. MM would never get my business after reading this.

I wouldn't write off MM. They make a great product. OP just needs to push a little more or get to the right person. Like I said, even just a tech to come out at a reduced rate would be a pretty reasonable compromise.

Erik Loza
04-08-2015, 1:51 PM
Again, I have no firsthand knowledge of the situation other than the facts as stated here but for those playing the "OP shouldn't have to pay to fix this"-card, he's not going to have to. Or at least not with the solution they seem to be focused on at this point.

If I were in the OP's shoes and did not want to do the assembly and calibration of the new slider and outrigger myself (which is do-able if you are mechanically inclined and have the appropriate tools), I would just contract Sam B. privately to come and perform the install and then do some training, both of which he does do. I do know that Sam is somewhat local to the customer so we're not talking about a plane ticket across the country or anything like that.

Sam ran his one-man shop in Miami on a CU300 for years; nobody knows that machine better than him. In the US, Minimax does not charge or factor into the sales price any "install" or "commissioning"; we can arrange that if the customer wants but the vast majority of owners don't ask for it and more significantly, never seem to miss it. The customer accepts responsibility for undertaking any adjusments to the machine, regardless of how long they've had it, anyhow. This sounds to me like an opportunity to get the machine dialed in better than the factory ever would and then get high level training, to boot. That's what I would do if I were in the OP's shoes but that's just me, of course. I do hope he gets the resolution he wants. There are lots of happy CU300 owners and I'm sure he will get there.

Erik

Phil Thien
04-08-2015, 2:01 PM
Well as David said above, when you sign on the dotted line, you have a responsibility to notify the company of problems like this within a reasonable amount of time. Seven to thirty days typically.

At 1-2 years, Minimax starts incurring costs it wouldn't have otherwise.

Chris Padilla
04-08-2015, 2:09 PM
There is depreciation, Rod. Even an unused machine sitting around for 1-2 years might need work to function properly. Maybe belts (or whatever) have a spot on them for sitting in the same position for so long. Maybe oils have drained out of certain spots and are dry. I dunno...there are other 'costs' involved, I'm sure.

Phil Thien
04-08-2015, 2:30 PM
There is depreciation, Rod. Even an unused machine sitting around for 1-2 years might need work to function properly. Maybe belts (or whatever) have a spot on them for sitting in the same position for so long. Maybe oils have drained out of certain spots and are dry. I dunno...there are other 'costs' involved, I'm sure.

Well I certainly wouldn't be willing to see it as new, even thought it has sat unused for 1-2 years. Advertising the saw as new, not mentioning the history to a buyer, would be dishonest in my opinion. And if they have to bring it up, I'd think they'd have to offer a discount to go along with the story.

Mind you I don't think that would be true with a saw that was returned in 1-2 months and checked-out. But a saw sitting 1-2 years, selling it as new wouldn't be right. Again just IMHO.

John Lanciani
04-08-2015, 2:34 PM
If MiniMax had taken the saw back when it was first delivered it could have been legally and ethically sold to another customer as new. Now that it has been paid for and in the posession of the OP for over a year that is no longer the case.

mike mcilroy
04-08-2015, 3:06 PM
If MiniMax had taken the saw back when it was first delivered it could have been legally and ethically sold to another customer as new. Now that it has been paid for and in the posession of the OP for over a year that is no longer the case.

The OP said he got deal because it was a demo so this doesn't sound exactly like a routine order to me. Got a bargain waited two years I think both sides have some responsibility

Peter Kelly
04-08-2015, 3:22 PM
Turns out they shipped me the 5.5' sliding table version of the saw.Having gone from using a 10.5’ slider (professional use) to a 5.5’ (personal home use), I’d say I really prefer the smaller saw. The vast majority of the cuts I make are not more than 36” and it’s a lot less work moving the shorter slide back and forth all day when I’m in there. I also find less wagon length getting in the way walking around the machine in the shop.

If SCM were willing to refund you the difference in price between the two machines, I’d consider using the money to buy a TS 55 (or similar) and 2700mm track to break down sheet goods.

Just a suggestion anyway. If you're planing on using the machine professionally, disregard everything above.

Phil Thien
04-08-2015, 4:02 PM
No disagreement there.

I think there will be a happy ending to this story, too.

It may just take a little longer given the size of the parts and distances involved.

David Kumm
04-08-2015, 5:06 PM
Sometimes companies, like people, need to be pushed a little to find a reasonable middle ground. I bought a Euro slot mortiser years ago, one of the few new machines I own. Hauled it 100 miles home only to find that one of the electrics modules was 440v in error. Called customer service and was told I would need to return the machine, leave it and pick it up when repaired. 400 miles total. My fault for not noticing the problem at the pickup location. I gave him the choice of picking up the machine himself, hiring an electrician to come and fix it at my place, or send me the part and I would fix myself plus a credit on a powerfeeder. They took the feeder deal and I was happy but it took a little negotiating. Had I waited a year, I would have lost the battle. Dave

John Huds0n
04-08-2015, 6:25 PM
For info - the difference between a 5.5' CU300 and a 8.5' CU300 was $700 about a year and a half ago

Darren Brown
04-08-2015, 6:57 PM
Am I the only person who is wondering what kind of a cyborg you have to be to resist the temptation to tear into that crate and at least look at all the parts for 2 years? I know I'd have that thing fully assembled insitu in a matter of days, even if I had to dissamble parts again to move it to it's final home. Not a knock on the OP but I don't have that kind of patience.

Keith Outten
04-08-2015, 10:06 PM
SCMI has generiously stepped up and offered to assist in resolving this situation in spite of the fact that the machine was a Demo unit and the warranty has expired. Given that the OP allowed so much time to go by before contacting SCMI he has some responsibility for the situation, certainly as much fault as the mistake made shipping the wrong machine which SCMI has offered to correct.

As this situation is currently being negotiated by both parties this thread serves no constructive purpose other than to agitate the situation which is not in this best interests of this Community.