PDA

View Full Version : Specialty saws

James Pallas
04-06-2015, 6:34 PM
There was a post sometime back about turning saws. I thought there may be some interest about special saws in general. I am no expert I did see an expert at work a few years back. The gentleman made replacements for items such as stair brackets, eave brackets handrails and such. His kit was almost all special saws. He used turning saws when he had to make a cut that was very curved and deep and he had to do it from one side. He would often put his turning saw frame on the same blade used for his bow saw make the deep or circular cut and then change back to a bow saw frame for the more gentle curves or straight cuts. He also used compass saws keyhole saws and other specialty saws. He did give me a chance to try some cuts and was very good at explaining his methods. I would bet that. George knows much about the subject and could give some real guidance on the use of those peculiar saws we don't see often anymore. We hear a lot about dovetail and tenon saws but not so much about saws made to cut curves. Just think about an infinite band saw, if the frame gets in the way just move it. There is a learning curve, it is not awful just difficult.
jim