PDA

View Full Version : One door closes, and another one opens........

Kent A Bathurst
04-06-2015, 4:40 PM
Terribly played game by the MSU Spartans. Duke gets a nod for playing to their usual high standards, but we played awful. An exciting run came to a miserable, unfortunate end. I couldn't guarantee a win, but I expected a much more competetive game.

If you watched it, you saw Izzo on the sidelines pretty much expressionless most of the game - he wasn't screaming or storming the sidelines - he was just standing there watching a slow-motion train wreck in progress - had nuttin' he could say, and nuttin' he could do.

In other news:

Opening Day is a de facto holiday in Detroit. I have been to a number of those games. Even one where the foul poles were obscured by the snow flurries, and me sitting there in my thin-soled Italian loafers...........

David Price returns to his Cy Young performance level with an Opening Day complete game shutout over the Twins.

The Tigers are undefeated and unscored upon!! Hope springs eternal.

By me some peanuts and Cracker Jack, I don't care if I never get back.............

See you in the funny papers......

EDIT: Just went to the box score. Price did not get the final out, so he did not throw a complete game. My mistake.

Jay Aubuchon
04-06-2015, 8:35 PM
I was sorry to to see Sparty go down that way. But at least the Badgers will represent the Big Ten in the final tonight.

— a Nittany Lion fan

Dick Latshaw
04-06-2015, 10:37 PM
Glad you are enjoying the efforts of Mr. Price. We miss him a lot down here.:mad:

Kent A Bathurst
04-06-2015, 11:12 PM
Glad you are enjoying the efforts of Mr. Price. We miss him a lot down here.:mad:

DIck - Dude..... You realize you are talking to the guy whose team coughed up both Fister and Scherzer to the Senators, right? At least they aren't in our League, much less our division.

And - Price was OK last year, but not lights out like he had been with you. Looks like we got him back in form - good for us. Tough for you.

Larry Edgerton
04-07-2015, 9:57 AM
I thought you were talking about some kind of automatic airlock entryway.........

Brian Tymchak
04-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Terribly played game by the MSU Spartans. Duke gets a nod for playing to their usual high standards, but we played awful. An exciting run came to a miserable, unfortunate end. I couldn't guarantee a win, but I expected a much more competetive game.

If you watched it, you saw Izzo on the sidelines pretty much expressionless most of the game - he wasn't screaming or storming the sidelines - he was just standing there watching a slow-motion train wreck in progress - had nuttin' he could say, and nuttin' he could do.

Well, Duke's big guys are awesome and if you don't have the players to stand up to 'em, well... And I don't know of any other team that runs such tight defense almost out to the half court line. Pure disruption in getting plays started. But, in that kind of game, you have got to hit the shots that you do get, and the Sparty's didn't do that.

But, and this isn't an excuse for the results of the game although I think it had an impact on how Izzo had to coach, I thought the officiating was horrible. Duke's big guy was throwing elbows to establish his post and not getting called. Then on any move down the lane, a foul would be called regardless if it was truly committed. Extremely inconsistent.

But the Big 10 was well represented this year. Makes those losses to Wisconsin and MSU a bit less painful.

But onward we go. Go Reds!! 1-0 already. Woo-hoo!

Ole Anderson
04-07-2015, 7:36 PM
And MSU's loss to Wisconsin.

Chris Padilla
04-07-2015, 8:03 PM
The Tigers are undefeated and unscored upon!! Hope springs eternal.

My Rockies are also doing just as well: Pounded the Brew Crew on the road 10-0 behind 7 innings of shutout ball by Kendrick, fresh from the Phillies.

I pray this is a long, healthy season for Tulo and Cargo but Arenado (3rd) and Dickerson (LF) may just surprise us all...I hope.... :D

Shawn Pixley
04-07-2015, 9:46 PM
Go Mariners! (Season ticket holder when they were in the Kingdome). I miss Ichiro, Edgar, and Bone!

Chris Padilla
04-07-2015, 10:05 PM
Welcome to the present, Shawn! :D ;)

Kent A Bathurst
04-07-2015, 10:19 PM
I thought you were talking about some kind of automatic airlock entryway.........

Very good Larry. :D

I have to say, though.....I think the long winter where you live - up above the Arctic Circle - has frozen some synapses. You'll be OK - the thaw will becoming shortly..................

Kent A Bathurst
04-07-2015, 10:20 PM
Welcome to the present, Shawn! :D ;)

Hey - he gets credit for not listing Junior, at least!!

Chris Padilla
04-08-2015, 10:32 AM
2-0!!! :) :) :)

Kent A Bathurst
04-08-2015, 4:32 PM
Annd.......The Tigers win 11-zip.

Still undefeated and unscored-upon.

Memories of the 35-5 start in 1984..............

mike mcilroy
04-08-2015, 8:33 PM
DIck - Dude..... You realize you are talking to the guy whose team coughed up both Fister and Scherzer to the Senators, right? At least they aren't in our League, much less our division.

And - Price was OK last year, but not lights out like he had been with you. Looks like we got him back in form - good for us. Tough for you.

Annd.......The Tigers win 11-zip.

Still undefeated and unscored-upon.

Memories of the 35-5 start in 1984..............

On behalf of Indians fans BOOO!

Shawn Pixley
04-08-2015, 8:50 PM
Yeah, nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

Chris Padilla
04-08-2015, 11:30 PM
3-0 start, on the road sweep. Quite the rarity from the Rockies...hopefully a good omen! :)

Kent A Bathurst
04-10-2015, 2:05 AM
The Tigers set a new AL record with a season-opening run of 24 shut-out innings. The Twins scored one unearned run, so we are still unbeaten, and unscored-upon-by-earned-runs [bit of a tortured phrase, that one is].

BUT - I am kinda in a spot that says all that great news is a result of scheduling, because I don't see the slightest glimmer that the Twins can win a game this year. As Charlie Brown would say: Good Grief!!

Tom Stenzel
04-13-2015, 11:20 AM
The Tigers are now 6-0.

Kent, I was trying to come up with something to razz you about but I'm enjoying this start too.

One problem though- I haven't taken off the the Tigers tee shirt I put on Opening day. Things are now getting pretty bad. It was OK when my wife and daughters were avoiding me, but now my dog just dug a big hole in the yard and tried to bury me. Meanwhile I'm doing my best to stay ahead of the HAZMAT team that's after me. And pulling the shirt over my head to take it off may prove fatal!

Wish me luck,

-Tom

Kent A Bathurst
04-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Tom -

Whatever you do, do not take off that shirt.

Never mess with a streak.

Chris Padilla
04-13-2015, 1:39 PM
I must've done something bad...Rox lost the opening series at Coors Field to the darn Cubbies and are at 4-2 now. :(

Kent A Bathurst
04-13-2015, 2:37 PM
I must've done something bad...Rox lost the opening series at Coors Field to the darn Cubbies and are at 4-2 now. :(

Colorado legalized gay marriage and pot. To me - that deserves a standing "O" and an undefeated season - but maybe the Dark Side of the Force is at play? Especially when it uses the Cubs as the vehicle of evil................

Kent A Bathurst
04-13-2015, 4:39 PM
Tom -

You changed your shirt, didn't you?

I TOLD YOU not to do that, dagnabbit.

Can't get good help these days............:mad:

:p :p

Time to start a new streak..........too bad we fell short of the '84 teams 7-0 start. They went on to rack up a 35-5 start. Mebbe this year's team will be 34-6. I can live with that.

The fitted wool Tigers cap went back on it's hat-stretcher for storage, until tomorrow's 7 pm game.