PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Die....at 64.....

Rich Riddle
04-05-2015, 9:02 PM
Met a man selling of the remnants of his material things to get ready to die. Said his health was fine but at his age you could go at any second. He was 64.... He was mentally ready to go. Amazed me.

Jebediah Eckert
04-05-2015, 9:09 PM
I'm sad for him. There are very few people that mortality isn't bothersome, but that seems a bit drastic. My grandfather is 98 and my grandmother 97. At 64 he was still anxiously awaiting the next issue of Popular Mechanics and making things in his basement shop. He only gave things away when he was downsizing and moving down south into a double wide. Was all about practicality and nothing to do with mortality.

Chris Parks
04-05-2015, 9:23 PM
Some people are born pessimistic, it is like some people can't wait to get married and have a dozen children. I failed at that one as well.:)

Malcolm Schweizer
04-05-2015, 9:32 PM
Perhaps he realized there was more to life than "stuff." We plan to rent the house out for a few years after I retire and just sail the oceans blue. The greatest moments of our lives have been our world travels.

daryl moses
04-05-2015, 9:46 PM
Geeze, I just turned 65 last month and to celebrate I purchased a new lathe and table saw. Hopefully I've still got a lot of "living" in me.

Mike Henderson
04-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Wish I had run into him and he was selling some high quality tools cheap:)

Mike

Rich Riddle
04-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Malcolm, he was talking about going to the "home" in preparation to die. Plans on moving into the "home" next year when old enough. He didn't have much to sell.

Ole Anderson
04-05-2015, 10:32 PM
That is just plain sad. :( I'm 67 and hoping I can keep using my toys (boats, Jeep, snowmobile, shop stuff) for another 20 years.

Rich Riddle
04-05-2015, 10:35 PM
We'd be running short on members here if 64 was at death's door. A few of you folks are that old.

Kent A Bathurst
04-06-2015, 12:29 AM
Met a man selling of the remnants of his material things to get ready to die. Said his health was fine but at his age you could go at any second. He was 64.... He was mentally ready to go. Amazed me.

Rich- This gives me the heebie-jeebies............. Something seems "not right" to me.

If you know this gentleman, you might see if there is a way to nudge him toward his physician. Failing that, consider talking to your local law enforcement people - they should be able to send someone non-threatening around to talk with him and evaluate him.

When people have decided to throw in the towel - or to prepare in advance for that day - that can be a harbinger of an illness that is treatable. But - only by the professionals.

Absolutely, unquestionably, clear-headed people can quickly develop problems which are treatable. If they get the treatment. I have known a couple success stories in this arena, and am relieved that I have not known any stories that ended badly. But - they could have.

Rick Potter
04-06-2015, 2:17 AM
I suspect he is simply not telling you everything.

Brian Henderson
04-06-2015, 3:33 AM
It's his life and his body, it ought to be up to him how long he wants to live.

Dan Hintz
04-06-2015, 6:11 AM
I suspect he is simply not telling you everything.

My thoughts... not everyone wants to share their troubles, so it's easier to put on a happy face and get on with it.

Bonnie Campbell
04-06-2015, 8:56 AM
Could be also that with his family history he doesn't have good odds of living past mid 60's....

Belinda Barfield
04-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Several years ago, right around the time my dad turned 70, he and my mom decided they weren't going to live much longer. This is now a topic of conversation every time I visit, right after we go through the list of recent deaths of folks younger than them. They got rid of everything they didn't "need", put everything in my name, paid for the funerals and the burial plot. As a matter of fact, somewhere around here is my version of the day we went to visit The Plot and they wanted me to pick my spot, but I digress. Every day they get up and go about their business, but everything is ready just in case. I was really upset about all this for a while, but my parents have always been extremely practical people and I suppose, as their deaths are inevitable, that I should be thankful that everything is taken care of in advance. Well, with the exception of daddy's bottle collection. We still haven't gotten around to going through that so that I can "pick the ones I want". Last time I was home I told him to just give me all of them and I'd sort them out later.

Ole Anderson
04-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Had a friend at church that started loosing weight and looking terrible, nobody could get him to go to a doctor nor would he talk about it. He died at home of a heart attack primarily because he let himself go. Everyone presumed he thought he had an incurable illness (cancer). Turns out he had an intestinal infection, easily curable had he gone to a doctor. This man needs help IMHO.

Mel Fulks
04-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Belinda, sounds like they simply have good taste and care about how things are done. Im leaving instructions to not refer
to me as "awesome ". Does anyone know anybody who has not been called that? Seen some crazy things at funerals,my
favorite is the flower arrangement right beside the open casket that featured a child's land line two piece telephone. The
receiver was off the hook and a silk banner read "Jesus has called ...." followed by the deceased's name.

Jim Koepke
04-06-2015, 12:52 PM
People are stubborn about such things as seeing a doctor.

As my age is also in the mid 60s, thoughts of time being limited do come to mind. It hasn't stopped me from looking forward to trying to obtain some new tools or wanting to do more projects.

A person who wants to "go to the home to die" may not have health problems, but there may be a problem with their attitude.

jtk

Tom M King
04-06-2015, 3:03 PM
I'm 64 and enjoy working enough that I have no plans for quitting any time soon. My Mother will be 99 next week. She did quit playing piano and organ in church this Winter, "to give the younger ones a chance to do something", and told them she would be willing to keep singing lead Soprano in the choir until someone else came along that could do it. They had a retirement ceremony for her, and told her she could stop playing piano or organ as long as the paid musicians showed up, but she would never be allowed to stop baking cakes and pies for their meals. They all had a good laugh.

Bert Kemp
04-06-2015, 3:53 PM
I just turned 65 also at the end of Feb. Bought my laser last Oct and just bought a new to me Motorcycle 3 days ago, I hope to be riding and Lasing for a long time. Or at least have fun doing both till Its my time.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2015, 4:07 PM
Somebody tell the poor guy there is life after 64! I am proof....

Dave Anderson NH
04-06-2015, 5:46 PM
Unless the gentleman has a serious medical problem that is unsolvable/incurable I would guess that he is suffering from depression and needs help Life is good no matter that some days are better than others and there will always be challenges and problems. Life is a gift. I learned this in 1969 at the age of 20 when I stepped on what is now called an IED. Only the pressure activated blasting cap went off scorching the sole of my jungle boot and failing to detonate the booby trapped 175mm howitzer round. I would have been virtually vaporized but obviously wasn't. Every day since then has been a gift from God which I very much appreciate. While I expect many more, life is chancy and unpredictable. It makes me desire to enjoy and make good use of however many days or years I have left. The gentleman Rich writes about appears to have given up and needs a serious attitude adjustment and some help to give him a more positive a outlook. A positive attitude and staying active help to prolong life. My Dad will be 90 later this month. He walks the shopping mall 7 days a week with friends for about 2 1/2 miles and they then have coffee. He shoots pools with friends on Wednesdays at the youth center while the kids are in school, ushers at church every third month, is active in the Masons, and sings and runs a group which goes around to entertain at nursing homes. His activities keep him mentally and physically active and I will do my best to emulate him. Life does not end at 64 and no one should just sit and wait to die.

Tim Janssen
04-06-2015, 9:25 PM
I think that's very sad. Yesterday I received a Happy Birthday message from the Sawmillcreek Woodworking Community. I turned 85. Have no intention of packing it in yet.
Still building shop cabinets or stands. Still want to build a clamp rack. Lots to do yet. I think the gentleman needs help. However it is his choice!

Tim

Bert Kemp
04-07-2015, 12:21 AM
happy birthday tim:)

i think that's very sad. Yesterday i received a happy birthday message from the sawmillcreek woodworking community. I turned 85. Have no intention of packing it in yet.
Still building shop cabinets or stands. Still want to build a clamp rack. Lots to do yet. I think the gentleman needs help. However it is his choice!

Tim

Jim Koepke
04-07-2015, 12:45 AM
happy birthday tim:)

A big +1 on that.

jtk

Larry Frank
04-07-2015, 7:31 AM
I worry about the guy as it sounds like he is depressed and needs some help. Yes, many people are fine at 65,75 or 85. But this guy could use some help and it is very difficult for some people to ask for it.
I truly hope that he gets better.

Joe Bradshaw
04-07-2015, 8:48 AM
I just hit my three score and eleven last month. Life just keeps getting better and better. I will be kicking and screaming when I am drug off the stage.
Joe

Gordon Eyre
04-07-2015, 9:00 PM
Wow, I am 80 and looking forward to many good years yet. I walked over 900 miles last year. I feel sorry for folks that just give up when they are still a young 60 or so.

Rich Riddle
04-07-2015, 9:11 PM
Some recommended telling he man to see a licensed mental health provider; I'm a licensed psychologist. He didn't seem mentally ill but rather-of-fact preparing for death. Didn't get the "I'm dying" vibe from him at all. He had a very simple mind to say the least (in what we call he borderline cognitive functioning area). In short he sounded like a guy who just gave up, was throwing in the towel. Dad who turns 85 this year rides his motorcycle 600 miles a shot at least five times a year. Then he jumps out of airplanes (want to commit him), roller blades, boats, jogs, and in the winter uses a rowing machine. It amazes me the different outlooks folks have in life.

Larry Frank
04-07-2015, 9:27 PM
I am not a psychologist but it seems that someone who is throwing in the towel is undergoing some mental stress and is in need of a good friend or some help.

Chris Parks
04-07-2015, 9:33 PM
I am not a psychologist but it seems that someone who is throwing in the towel is undergoing some mental stress and is in need of a good friend or some help.

It is his life and no one else's, leave him alone and let him get on with it. Why has everyone got to decide for him what he wants?

Larry Frank
04-07-2015, 9:42 PM
I am not trying to suggest what he should or shouldn't do. There are times when people are depressed that they are not capable of knowing what is right. My comment is meant to suggest that it might be good to make certain he is capable at this time of making such a decision.

Tim Janssen
04-07-2015, 9:46 PM
Thank you!

Tim

Kent A Bathurst
04-07-2015, 10:21 PM
I am not trying to suggest what he should or shouldn't do. There are times when people are depressed that they are not capable of knowing what is right. My comment is meant to suggest that it might be good to make certain he is capable at this time of making such a decision.

Bravo, Larry.

Mel Fulks
04-07-2015, 11:04 PM
Maybe the home has a lot of lonely women and he wants to be popular and in demand for a long time . Then die.

Rich Riddle
04-07-2015, 11:59 PM
Maybe the home has a lot of lonely women and he wants to be popular and in demand for a long time . Then die.
Now that you mention it, most homes seem to have more women than men, many more. Doesn't say much for us men and longevity. Not sure being surrounded by elderly women is a positive thing.

Bert Kemp
04-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Why would any body jump out of a perfectly good plane. Yes I'd say he needs committing:p More power to him.Just for the record for those that don't ride motorcycles, 600 miles a day is a lot on a bike, I know I do it a lot and your really beat at the end of a day of riding.

Some recommended telling he man to see a licensed mental health provider; I'm a licensed psychologist. He didn't seem mentally ill but rather-of-fact preparing for death. Didn't get the "I'm dying" vibe from him at all. He had a very simple mind to say the least (in what we call he borderline cognitive functioning area). In short he sounded like a guy who just gave up, was throwing in the towel. Dad who turns 85 this year rides his motorcycle 600 miles a shot at least five times a year. Then he jumps out of airplanes (want to commit him), roller blades, boats, jogs, and in the winter uses a rowing machine. It amazes me the different outlooks folks have in life.

Moses Yoder
04-08-2015, 4:43 PM
I think there should be a balance between having tons of junk that your kids will have to get rid of and continuing on with life in the golden age. We had to clean up every last bit of my dad's stuff. THe attic probably had not been entered in twenty years. In a way it was kind of fun but in another way two of my sisters who had free time spent months getting ready for a kid's sale and then garage sale, I myself spent 3 or 4 days on it. Just one example, they owed a bunch of money on a home equity loan and were always scratching for money. Cleaning up the mess, we found 100 pounds of lead he had purchased to make fishing weights; we sold the lead for 49 cents per pound.

Wade Lippman
04-09-2015, 1:20 PM
Maybe he is on to something. I sneezed last night and strained a muscle in my side. It felt like I took a solid punch. And I am only 61. What new horrors are there at 64?

And jumping out a perfectly good airplane is an interesting experience.
My first jump was horrifying. The dozen people I went with said the same thing. Not one of us counted to 3 and looked up as instructed.
The second was fascinating; I wasn't scared and got to observe everything.
The third was boring; exactly like the second, and it seemed like it took forever to get to the ground.
Gave it up at that point because I had to do 9 more like that before moving onto something more advanced and it just took too much time and money.

David Ragan
04-11-2015, 6:18 AM
This is an interesting thread with the fellow "ready to die".

Certainly, selling his tools is a major cause for concern.......but that is all we know about him.

Since this is an off-topic forum I can ramble on....I will say that I have always had a very circumspect view of Life, even as a little kid.

A friend of mine is one of those geniuses from India...I have had to pry it (the below) out of him

Other cultures are very interesting indeed. To think that our "Western-Anglo" view is the way things are could be seen as arrogant.

I am going to get into trouble here, I'm sure...I was raised Southern Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, and 30 years ago, was appalled once when I went into a Unitarian church the morning after a dinner and saw bottles of alcohol around. The entire group was headed straight to Hades, I was sure.

Anyway, my limited understanding of the Indian (subcontinent) view on the ultimate reality of Nature/Spirituality/"religion", etc is the only cultural viewpoint that actually had figured out centuries ago all the particles that Modern Physics has now confirmed. (Stay tuned for more news from CERN-they confirm all this-is my understanding) I mean all the little bitty neutrinos, Higgs Boson, etc. All of it is contained with the ancient Indian writings. Hmmmm.

I cannot articulate the above any more than the above. Even the people who write the Physics books don't really understand it.

Yes, I am digressing. But not really.

Tibetan monks have been criticized about their "obsession" with death.

They say in response that they recognize that we are eternal, and this is the dream. To recognize that all this is temporary allows one to better appreciate it.

I realize that I am in the minority here.

(Read the part in John 3 when Christ talks to Nicodemus about the nature of Reality, right before 3:16. Very cool. Christ could walk up to any chalkboard @ Princeton, MIT, etc and write out all the math that reconciles Newtonian physics and Quantum Mechanics. What Einstein spent the last 30 years trying to do.)

In regards to the fellow mentioned initially, yes, he may be depressed. There are a lot of really good meds for that.

Life is all about Service. Muhammed Ali said that Service the rent you pay for being on the planet.

I am personally not depressed, but have had a variety of experiences to change my viewpoint on a lot of things.

That said, see if your friend might be depressed.

Dan Hintz
04-11-2015, 9:44 AM
Christ could walk up to any chalkboard @ Princeton, MIT, etc and write out all the math that reconciles Newtonian physics and Quantum Mechanics. What Einstein spent the last 30 years trying to do.)

Congratulations. You just solved millennia of scientific questions by saying "Christ can do it". <facepalm>

Jim Andrew
04-11-2015, 1:49 PM
Seems to me reconciling that you will not live on this earth forever is a good thing, so you don't have to reconcile so much if you do get something terminal. But I'm in no hurry to give it up. When my Dad got cancer it was hard for him. And I sure don't want to go through that. Some of my ancestors just had a heart attack in their mid 80's and fell back in their chairs. Thank you Lord if you will give me that way out.