PDA

View Full Version : Can someone ID these King Stones please? (and a PS)

David Ragan
04-05-2015, 9:59 AM
I can't recall the grade, or relative grit of these two stones. It has been a while since I have used them.

BTW-does anyone use the Veritas stone pond-as in the directions, with the stones suspended over the pond while using them?

PS-I am having my first wkd in the shop since the MJC&R (Massive Junk Clearing and Reorganization), and knee surgery 6 weeks ago--and it is great. I mean really great.310759310758

I am able to find things, there is plenty of bench space, room to move around, not so claustrophobic, majority of clutter is gone.

With the wood stored vertically, I can go find what I want easily-no more heavy duty exertion on a ladder.

Anyone thinking of doing a MJC&R-do it, you'll be happy you did.

Thanks

David

Jim Koepke
04-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Your best bet may be to run some steel over them and compare the scratch patterns.

jtk

Winton Applegate
04-05-2015, 12:17 PM
My only King is a red 1200 so I can't help there but once you find out and before you wet them the next time I can recommend taking a big old magic marker and writing the grade on the edge of each stone.

Warren Mickley
04-05-2015, 12:51 PM
I would say that the white one is 6000 grit and the yellow is 8000. These and the reddish (800, 1000, 1200) are the common stones that King has marketed in America for the last generation or so. The white has had numbers like S-1 S-3 and the gold has had like G-1, G-2. The numbers, 1,2,3 refer to the size of the stone, not its grit. There has been some question as to whether the white stone is not more coarse than the nominal 6000 and sometimes they are called 5000 or 4000, but they are the same stone.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-05-2015, 1:10 PM
I don't know, but the pick makes them look like they are in the bed of a pickup, and very large... LOL

David Ragan
04-05-2015, 1:48 PM
The one on the right says G-1

Stew Denton
04-05-2015, 2:57 PM
David,

Count me in as one who is thinking about doing a MJC&R. I have started it, somewhat, but the going is extremely slow.

Buying another planes on occasion and restoring it and other tools seems to slow down the MJC&R effort drastically. The more restoring and sharpening I do, the more that seems to be left. I was using one of my crosscut saws yesterday and quickly realized it was in desperate need of sharpening. Right now I think my saw vise is in a box under a pile of junk. At least I know where my saw set is. It seems like a big mess, but I am sure it's not as bad as I think, so I have just picked a point and am working forward from that point.

Stew

David Ragan
04-06-2015, 1:54 PM
I just called LV, the fellow who has been there 24 years said it wasn't necessary to pull up my account, to see which one(s) I ordered (and that would tell me definitively which was which), he said the one on the left, the darker one, is 4K, the one on the right is 1K. Also, he confirmed that there will be a big difference in the mirror polish between the two.

Warren Mickley
04-06-2015, 9:00 PM
Unless the color of your picture is very misleading, that stone on the right is not a 1000 grit stone. King stones in the 800 1000 1200 series are reddish brown, and have been for at least 35 years. I have worn through several of these stones.

David Ragan
04-07-2015, 7:01 AM
Unless the color of your picture is very misleading, that stone on the right is not a 1000 grit stone. King stones in the 800 1000 1200 series are reddish brown, and have been for at least 35 years. I have worn through several of these stones.

I guess i'll have to do the scratch pattern test.

I Have an 800 grit, and it is reddish brown.

David Ragan
04-09-2015, 1:17 PM
I attempted the scratch pattern test before the chisel (not my LN) back was polished, on my way out the door to go to work. Needless to say, I got zero useful information.

A kind fellow PMd me with discerning information about the true grit of my stones.

I believe my problems are over. Ha ha.

David Ragan
04-11-2015, 5:03 AM
I attempted the scratch pattern test before the chisel (not my LN) back was polished, on my way out the door to go to work. Needless to say, I got zero useful information.

A kind fellow PMd me with discerning information about the true grit of my stones.

I believe my problems are over. Ha ha.

I will not mention the gentleman above, as I am not sure how he feels about his anonymity. My thanks to him, though.

To be more specific, the one on the left is 4-6K

The one on the right is 8K

Done:)