PDA

View Full Version : Installing Flush Door Pulls

Rich Riddle
04-04-2015, 9:56 PM
I am installing some flush door pulls on closet doors that bi-pass one another. Would you make a jig and use a router to cut the recess or simply chisel out the areas? Any other ideas would be appreciated. They look like this:

John Vernier
04-04-2015, 11:34 PM
It looks like a really simple thing to make a jig for, if the face plate is meant to sit on the surface. It would also be easy to use a forstner bit to waste out most of the recess, and clean it up with a chisel. If I had a couple to do I would probably just bore and chisel, but if I had several closets to do I would make the jig. Also, if you are working on doors already hanging, it will probably be easier to rout than to chisel.

Mike Schuch
04-05-2015, 1:57 AM
A simple jig made out of hard board and clamped onto the door would make quick work out of those pulls. You would also need a corner chisel. Weather or not it is worth it to make the jig depends on the number of pulls you have to install like the previous poster stated.

Peter Quinn
04-05-2015, 7:09 AM
I'd make a jig from 1/2" MDF for the perimeter route and waste the deeper part with a forstner. I usually just use the hardware to set a table saw blade, rip a strip that equals the width, use the actual piece to to set the height, MDF glues wonderfully, jig is done in under 15 minutes, on that one you could size it so you can include a locator to set the distance from doors edge to keep it consistent. Nothing wrong with a chisel, on a single door it would be a toss up for me, on a pair, that's four pulls, definitely a jig.

Jamie Buxton
04-05-2015, 10:29 AM
The pull's flange covers any sloppiness of the recess. For one, I'd just lay it out and cut it with a plunge router. For a bunch, I'd probably make a template. No chisels, and certainly no corner chisel -- the recess has rounded ends.

Rich Riddle
04-05-2015, 9:04 PM
I just realized these are hollow core doors. It adds a new dimension to the issue.

Jamie Buxton
04-05-2015, 9:32 PM
I just realized these are hollow core doors. It adds a new dimension to the issue.

I'm looking over my shoulder at the sliding closet doors in my study. Hollow-core, flush pulls. It is very common. I didn't install these, so I don't know how they did it, but it clearly can be done.