PDA

View Full Version : generic pricing info on metal clad buildings

Jim Mackell
04-04-2015, 1:32 PM
The non-profit I volunteer at will shortly begin to search for additional storage building space. There's a group that's in favor of expanding an old, sagging, termite infested pole barn. I'd like to swing them over to a newer metal frame, metal clad alternative. Recognizing that none of you - to the best of my knowledge are in the trade - can you provide me with some average cost information?

We would be looking for a building 120 by 60. Clear span. Snow load roof designed for our harsh New England winters. Minimal internal wiring, just convenience outlets. No insulation required.

Would we be looking in the 50K, 150K or 250K range? Any and all input and/or advice appreciated.

Jim Andrew
04-04-2015, 6:11 PM
I can only give you my experience. I bought a 50 x 80 about 10 years ago, with 16' sidewalls, and a 28' sliding door and one 20' sliding door, and 1 walk in door. Paid 20 k for the kit. Did not include any insulation, which I bought separately for 1 k, and just used r 10 under the roof metal. Prevents condensation. I spent about 2 k on the foundation, which I set up and poured myself, consisting of 18" post holes 4' deep, with a curb between all the holes, to seal the building to the ground. Just this summer a cousin built a 60 x 100, his has a full concrete floor, 16' sidewalls, and aviation doors, which he spent over 150 k for. He did hire a contractor who he bought the building erected and complete from. My building came from Worldwide building sales, Peculiar MO.

Mike Heidrick
04-05-2015, 9:37 AM
Every locale will vary. Your building needs will dictate the pricing. My only advice after getting 5 quotes last year - all add ons cost extra big-time. My last quote I included everything I had added to quotes of previous companies trying to get the lowest price and then adding on extras. The last Quote was about the same as starting with the base building in my previous quotes.

Do your homework and get a quote on everything at first request.

Consider heating, plumbing needs, porch, door style, insulation, windows, electrical needs.

Finishing a building is time consuming and a lot of work if it is big. A business will most likely need a lot of pros for help. Plan a ton of money to finish it.

Jason Roehl
04-06-2015, 9:30 AM
I would definitely consider some insulation. Maine's climate is definitely different than Indiana's, but I bet there are enough days that are similar to cause the same problems that an uninsulated steel building can have here. I've worked in/on an all-steel building (it was part of the federal grain storage network at one time--100'x480'x40'peak, two of them), and in the spring and fall, with wide temperature and humidity swings, it can rain indoors from the condensation that collects on the underside of the roof. Probably much easier/cheaper to install at time of construction than to retrofit.

Jim Andrew
04-06-2015, 3:02 PM
I received the local REC newsletter, and it has ads from Steel building mfgrs, one is Rhino steel building systems, rhinobldg.com they advertise a 60x100x12 for 25,500., then Advantage steel buildings, www.advantagesteelbuildings.com, they have 80x120x16 for 36,874. There is also www.toplinebuildings.com says save thousands on factory direct pricing, no prices. I would check all of these out, but remember this is just a pile of material delivered that needs a foundation, erection, and whatever else you want. Be sure to tell them exactly what you want, so there are no mistakes. Insulation is cheaper from an insulation company, but you should let the steel building company know you are going to need the longer screws for using insulation. I put up my own building, set up the foundation and poured it, borrowed a telehandler from a friend, so saved a pile of money on mine, if you have people who can do the work you can do likewise, get a bid from a erection company, and a bid for pouring the base and you will find out how much savings there would be.