PDA

View Full Version : Places to visit in or near Milwaukee?

Wes Billups
08-05-2005, 12:29 AM
I was hoping someone could let me know if there are any good woodworking related places to visit in Milwaukee or the surrounding area. I'll be there next week and hope to have a little free time to do some looking around.

Any other places worth visiting with my family would be much appreciated too.

Thanks,
Wes

Karl Laustrup
08-05-2005, 6:04 AM
While I don't know that much about Milwaukee, I do know Miller Brewery has tours of their facility and Milwaukee is the home of Harley-Davidson. I'm sure there must be some other things also.

Karl

Steve Ash
08-05-2005, 7:58 AM
It's been at least ten/twelve years ago, but when I coached Little League baseball we took the team down to watch a Brewers/Tigers baseball game, then we took them to the Milwaukee zoo. Also in nearby Gurney there is a theme park with roller coasters, etc. The name escapes me now, but I am pretty sure it was called Six Flags.
Can't help you with the woodworking end of what to do there.

Tyler Howell
08-05-2005, 8:18 AM
Get down to the lake and wonder around in the downtown area. Also the art museum is awesome. Beautiful homes along the lake drive.:cool:

Marc Ward
08-05-2005, 8:32 AM
Do try to take in a game at Miller Park. Beautiful facility. The children will love the sausage raced. I do, and I am 52.

I do my hardwood shopping at Kettle Moraine Hardwoods. Two locations. If you can, you may enjoy wandering around their store.

Also, downtown is getting better and better. Get down there for a walk along the river. Good eats at Mo's Irish Pub, just one block from the river walk. Several places to eat and drink on the river walk.

If you need special attention, PM me, glad to help.

Sam Blasco
08-05-2005, 9:21 AM
Get down to the lake and wonder around in the downtown area. Also the art museum is awesome. Beautiful homes along the lake drive.:cool:

I'll second the art museum - spectacular. The floor in the older section is a treat unto itself (all edge grain). Don't forget to make sure you try some frozen custard. DiMarini's (sp?) for great Italian food and a festive atmosphere, also in the south shore area, like the museum. The Pabst Estate is pretty cool, too. And if you like iron horses, that is the town.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-05-2005, 9:39 AM
Wes.....one of the things that I enjoy in Milwaukee is the brat served in many of the local establishments. A lot of the local bar and grills serve a brat with a taste that I haven't found anywhere else in my travels! I hope my personal physcian doesn't read this thread......

Calvin Hobbs
08-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Next time I am up that way I am planning to visit Chipstone and/or the Art Museum for the period furniture collections.

John Dingman
08-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Wes,

It would be worth the trip to visit the Wind Point Lighthouse just south of Milwaukee in Racine. It's located on Lake Michigan, and it's the Oldest and Largest Operational Lighthouse on the Great Lakes. And, it is very close to John's Wood Shop :D Let me know if you are in the area, the coffee is always on. As far as woodworking related stores in Milwaukee, they have a Rockler and a Woodcraft.

John

Wes Billups
08-05-2005, 12:53 PM
I just wanted to say thanks for all of the suggestions. I am really only going to have part of Friday and all Saturday to do site seeing so I think we'll definetly try the waterfront. The museum sounds like it will also be on the to-do list. My daughter is only 1-1/2 so a baseball game is probably not an option. She can't even manage to sit through a 30 minute cartoon at this stage.

Thanks again for the suggestions and especially the offers to visit with some of my fellow Creeker's. If this trip goes well I may be in the area permanently and will definetly give some of you a call.

Thanks,
Wes

Carl Eyman
08-05-2005, 1:49 PM
Old World Wisconsin in Delafield (25 miles west off I94) is real nice and good for a little kid.