PDA

View Full Version : Woodworker's Journal 4/2/15: Steel City Tool Works Ceases Operation

Paul Wunder
04-04-2015, 12:13 PM
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/steel-city-tools-closes-shop/

The above article says it all. SC inventory was acquired by General International but there is no further word as to how GI will proceed.

Peter Aeschliman
04-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Bummer. I've long wondered about Steel City. I hardly hear anybody talk about them and don't know anybody who owns one of there machines. The only machine they have that I've considered was their drill press.

I always assumed they were teetering on the edge... I hate to see the industry lose a competitor though.

glenn bradley
04-04-2015, 1:12 PM
This one always makes me sad. Steel City started out with such a great pedigree from the folks who ran Orion. Once they started stumbling back around 2009 and the primary founders left I stopped even looking at SCTW as a source of tools. I know many folks have bought them in recent years and I hope they are still serving them well. On the bright side, there are a lot of machines from companies no longer around that are treasured for their designs and reliability. Will a Steel City tablesaw show up on OWWM someday?

In today's incestuous business world it may just be that General Intl saw an established logistics machine that would serve their needs. Maybe some of the SCTW designs will get a new coat of paint. Should be interesting to observe from the sidelines.

Mike Cozad
04-04-2015, 9:08 PM
Well that explains the smokin deal on my 8" jointer 3 weeks ago. Sure hope I don't have any issues...

Rich Riddle
04-04-2015, 11:15 PM
Woodwerks had a couple of good deals on their machines as well. Good luck to you folks with the tools. Replacement parts are likely to be available if they were clones.

Bruce Page
04-04-2015, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned, a jointer is not a complicated machine.

Phil Thien
04-05-2015, 9:30 AM
Sad to hear, they were doing a lot of things right in terms of machine design.

OTOH, I think this says a lot of positive about General. It seems like they're pretty healthy.

Grizzly is a juggernaut with which I would not like to compete.

Mike Delyster
04-05-2015, 9:57 AM
I don't see anything in the article about General International, maybe I missed something.

Grant Wilkinson
04-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Are people assuming that the only Canadian tool company is General? Is that why the talk here is about GI taking their inventory, as I don't see anything in the link to GI?

Frederick Skelly
04-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Sad news. At least a reputable firm is buying what's left. Beats having some no-name (to many of us) firm take over, like happened to Delta.

Phil Thien
04-05-2015, 10:46 AM
I don't see anything in the article about General International, maybe I missed something.

There is previous history between Steel City and General International. Some employees defected SC for GI a couple of years ago. So I guess we're jumping to conclusions.

Mike Cutler
04-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Well that's unfortunate!

I actually liked their product line when it came out, and really wanted one of their granite topped table saws, but never bought one. I did buy one of their Dual Drum Sanders and it's been a great machine.

Mark Stutz
04-07-2015, 12:56 PM
I've had the 15 inch planer since about 2006 or so, and have been happy with it. I've been thinking about upgrading to a Byrd head. Looks like I better do this before Byrd is out of stock!

Phil Barrett
04-07-2015, 2:22 PM
What I find odd is that their web site is still up and functioning and companies selling SSTW stuff appear to be mum on the shutdown. And there is very little to be had from google about it as well (just the ww journal bit). Well, maybe odd isn't right word. I think a potential buyer of one of their tools would not necessarily see that they are out of business. I'd be upset if I bought a tool, what ever the deal, and the sales person didn't inform me that company was out of business. I know they need to move the inventory but the warranty would be worthless.

Erik Loza
04-07-2015, 5:06 PM
....I'd be upset if I bought a tool, what ever the deal, and the sales person didn't inform me that company was out of business....

Absolutely no dog in this fight but will say this: Often, the sales guy is the last to hear news like this. Either by design or not. I would not hold that against anyone without giving them a fair chance to respond. I have actually taken money from customers on machines that the factory ceased production on, and had no clue they did that until the warehouse bounced my order. Just my 2-cents.

Erik

Paul Wunder
04-07-2015, 5:34 PM
The following is a posting from Lumberjocks re the status of Steel City Toolworks, (Moderators, I hope that this doesn't violate our rules). I did not identify the poster because I did not ask his permission to do so

"I recently purchased 3 Steel City (http://lumberjocks.com/topics/89058#) machines from Wood Werks and I was having an issue with the fitment of blades of the 14” bandsaw (http://lumberjocks.com/topics/89058#), long story short a square nut that fits into the tensioning block wasn’t in its recess causing the tension not to be released. While I was trying to figure out the problem I phoned Steel City and the call was answered by an answering machine with a message stating that they are closed and ceasing operations on March 31 2015 and for any warranty needs to contact the distributor from with the purchase was made. With this information I called Wood Werks and spoke to Todd about my fitment issues and then about the message I had received from Steel City. Todd assured me this is yet another restructuring and that General International has bought out Steel City and is moving the headquarters to Canada. I asked about warranty in the future as was told General International plans to honor all warranties, only since it is a Canadian company there will be a duty charged at the border and shipping will be the responsibility of the owner. Just a little FYI for anyone thinking of purchasing Steel City machinery (http://lumberjocks.com/topics/89058#) in the near future.
I have been very happy with my purchases so far, its been about a month. I plan on doing some reviews after I have put them through there paces. I wasn’t able to find much info about the latest models they came out with after the last restructuring in late 2014."

Rich Riddle
04-07-2015, 5:55 PM
Paul, it's good that General International is buying the line and honoring the service. Let's just hope they do more than buy the name. A friend purchased a Pace trailer a few years ago to realize his model was an "old" Pace and that the "new" Pace simply purchased the name but didn't have an inventory of parts. In essence, they bought the name.

Phil Thien
04-07-2015, 6:02 PM
The following is a posting from Lumberjocks re the status of Steel City Toolworks, (Moderators, I hope that this doesn't violate our rules). I did not identify the poster because I did not ask his permission to do so

"I recently purchased 3 Steel City (http://lumberjocks.com/topics/89058#) machines from Wood Werks and I was having an issue with the fitment of blades of the 14” bandsaw (http://lumberjocks.com/topics/89058#), long story short a square nut that fits into the tensioning block wasn’t in its recess causing the tension not to be released. While I was trying to figure out the problem I phoned Steel City and the call was answered by an answering machine with a message stating that they are closed and ceasing operations on March 31 2015 and for any warranty needs to contact the distributor from with the purchase was made. With this information I called Wood Werks and spoke to Todd about my fitment issues and then about the message I had received from Steel City. Todd assured me this is yet another restructuring and that General International has bought out Steel City and is moving the headquarters to Canada. I asked about warranty in the future as was told General International plans to honor all warranties, only since it is a Canadian company there will be a duty charged at the border and shipping will be the responsibility of the owner. Just a little FYI for anyone thinking of purchasing Steel City machinery (http://lumberjocks.com/topics/89058#) in the near future.
I have been very happy with my purchases so far, its been about a month. I plan on doing some reviews after I have put them through there paces. I wasn’t able to find much info about the latest models they came out with after the last restructuring in late 2014."

Boy I don't know about that.

If they truly intended to honor the warranty I think they'd left a different message on the outgoing answering machine. Better yet, just forward the 800 # to Canada and answer it with "Thank you for calling Steel City, eh?"

Paul Wunder
04-07-2015, 6:22 PM
Phil, I agree with you. It is not a good beginning. I own a Craftsman zipcode saw which was made by Steel City's subsidiary Orion. I love that saw and I was a booster of Steel City for a while.

It certainly seems like SC is letting their customers "hanging out to dry."

I will hope for a good outcome for all of those who purchased SC products on faith.

Phil Thien
04-07-2015, 6:45 PM
Phil, I agree with you. It is not a good beginning. I own a Craftsman zipcode saw which was made by Steel City's subsidiary Orion. I love that saw and I was a booster of Steel City for a while.

I will hope for a good outcome for all of those who purchased SC products on faith.

Well I'm sure the SC folks would have preferred being able to continue on and take care of their existing customers.

But this business climate is BRUTAL.

Rod Sheridan
04-07-2015, 7:39 PM
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/steel-city-tools-closes-shop/

The above article says it all. SC inventory was acquired by General International but there is no further word as to how GI will proceed.

I spoke to a dealer in Canada who phoned GI.

Apparently a smaller facility in Ohio will be opening up, the Chicago facility is closed................Regards, Rod.

Phil Thien
04-07-2015, 8:24 PM
I spoke to a dealer in Canada who phoned GI.

Apparently a smaller facility in Ohio will be opening up, the Chicago facility is closed................Regards, Rod.

That is really good news.

Though I think GI should get that information out there officially.

I think it would speak volumes about the character of the management of GI if they do indeed see to it that SC commitments are kept.

If they can't do it, I don't BLAME them. But if they can, I applaud them.

Curt Harms
04-08-2015, 8:44 AM
Paul, it's good that General International is buying the line and honoring the service. Let's just hope they do more than buy the name. A friend purchased a Pace trailer a few years ago to realize his model was an "old" Pace and that the "new" Pace simply purchased the name but didn't have an inventory of parts. In essence, they bought the name.

Sounds kinda like Delta.

glenn bradley
04-11-2015, 12:40 PM

Let's remember that the Orion folks left the scene quite some time ago. That's when SCTW fell off my radar as a player for machine purchases. I also had the 22124 and dad is still enjoying this well designed and well executed tablesaw.

Oscar Kramer
04-30-2015, 2:10 PM
I just called General International in Canada. The parts salesman claimed that they are not associated with Steel City and did not buy any inventory.

HOWEVER, I did locate the company in Canada, Nordis, who purchased all the inventory. There is a gentleman there, Terry Ross (877-724-8665), who can sell you parts for Steel City tools. I just purchased a pair of trunnions for my bandsaw's granite table.

mike mcilroy
04-30-2015, 3:08 PM
If they truly intended to honor the warranty I think they'd left a different message on the outgoing answering machine. Better yet, just forward the 800 # to Canada and answer it with "Thank you for calling Steel City, eh?"

Hey Phil you hoser, take off with the stereotypes, eh or at least give us some cheese. ! ;)

Curt Harms
05-01-2015, 9:42 AM
I just called General International in Canada. The parts salesman claimed that they are not associated with Steel City and did not buy any inventory.

HOWEVER, I did locate the company in Canada, Nordis, who purchased all the inventory. There is a gentleman there, Terry Ross (877-724-8665), who can sell you parts for Steel City tools. I just purchased a pair of trunnions for my bandsaw's granite table.

Interesting. I wonder what will happen when the existing stock of parts is exhausted? This looks like the company's web site.

http://www.nordis.ca/e-index.html

Jason Aldridge
07-07-2015, 7:08 PM
I am pretty disappointed. I have their 35951G (Granite 1 3/4 HP). I really like it. I intended to get a larger unit at some point.

BOB OLINGER
07-10-2015, 5:30 PM
Disappointing. I bought one of their long bed 6" jointers a couple years ago. It does a nice job although the safety cover doesn't work good.

Matt Day
07-22-2015, 11:32 AM
The new Steel City? I guess the Cutech marketing dept likes CL spam!

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tld/5135064044.html