PDA

View Full Version : Just playing around with "white wood" again

steven c newman
04-04-2015, 11:18 AM
In addition to a few pine boards I found. Boss wants a Kitchen Island with drawers and a bottom shelf. Working a few hours at a time in the Dungeon Shop, this is where I am at, so far
Takes about every clamp I have. Set this up on the benchtop and added the top to see how thing might look
IF you look at the bottom rails closely, you MIGHT see the 1/2" wide by 1/4" deep rebates for a plywood shelf to sit in. Just about halfway along with this project...:D

Brian Holcombe
04-04-2015, 12:54 PM
Nice Steve! I like the details such as dovetailed stretchers.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-04-2015, 5:17 PM
Looks like a fun project, Steve. You ought try drawboring sometime - not needing all the clamps in my shop (and I don't have many by the standards of folks here) is one of my favorite reasons for using them.

ken hatch
04-04-2015, 7:25 PM
Looks like a fun project, Steve. You ought try drawboring sometime - not needing all the clamps in my shop (and I don't have many by the standards of folks here) is one of my favorite reasons for using them.

Agree and another nice thing about draw boring is you can lose the glue if you wish. Makes for a nice relaxed assembly. Fit the joint, maybe put a clamp on or use a draw bore pin which ever will work the best, whack the peg home. Have a cup of tea then move on to the next joint and repeat until finished. No panic, no waving of arms wildly in the air and cursing the glue gods, no muss, no fuss, just a nice enjoyable time in the shop.

ken

steven c newman
04-04-2015, 7:45 PM
On some projects, I use a form of draw boring. On the Screen Door Project, the pins were blowing out the other side. On leg/apron joints for tables, I use a couple nails from the inside to "pin" the joint in place. The Shaker End Table was pinned this way. This table was a might large for it, issues with the small space i work in....

steven c newman
04-05-2015, 2:46 PM
Top is screwed down through slotted holes. Have a shelf installed now

Center cleat. Slotted the outer holes. Counter-bored the holes to attach the cleat, will add plugs later.
Elmers and 5/8" brads to hold the shelf in the rebates. 1/4" pine plywood, no less. Took a bit of scribing to get the shelf to fit. too....

steven c newman
04-07-2015, 6:58 PM
Well, slowly getting to the point the wife will be reaching for the paint can
She wanted a place to store cookie sheets and pizza pans, so, making a small cabinet on one end
Hey, the drawers do work!
A look at the end of this island
Drawer is open on this photo. getting close to the "finish line"?