PDA

View Full Version : Reverse single phase motor rotation

Dave Westover
04-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Can you take a look at the pics below and tell me if that motor is reverseable and if so, how i might do that? Thanks!

http://i60.tinypic.com/50d2d.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/dwyj4y.jpg

Rick Lizek
04-04-2015, 11:28 AM
If the label doesn't show a reversing wiring diagrams it's not reversible. A motor shop could tap into the windings but you might buy a new motor cheaper. The pic you showed doesn't help.

Martin Wasner
04-04-2015, 11:32 AM
Really? I thought on anything 3 phase it was a matter of just swapping any two power leads to make it run the opposite direction.

Carroll Courtney
04-04-2015, 12:30 PM
3phase it is but with the capacitor showing its not 3phase.

Mike Henderson
04-04-2015, 12:59 PM
To reverse rotation on a single phase motor, you would reverse the connection on the starting coil - the coil that has the capacitor in series with it. if both ends of that coil are not accessible, the motor is not reversible. I'm going by memory here but I think that's correct.

Mike

Dave Westover
04-04-2015, 1:53 PM
To reverse rotation on a single phase motor, you would reverse the connection on the starting coil - the coil that has the capacitor in series with it. if both ends of that coil are not accessible, the motor is not reversible. I'm going by memory here but I think that's correct.

Mike

No label or diagram on the motor. I hoped the pics would show what Im dealing with better, but I have 2 sets of wires that originate from the coil, the whites and the oranges. The reds come from the capacitor, if thats what it is.

Phillip Gregory
04-05-2015, 9:57 PM
No label or diagram on the motor. I hoped the pics would show what Im dealing with better, but I have 2 sets of wires that originate from the coil, the whites and the oranges. The reds come from the capacitor, if thats what it is.

What you have is a single-voltage capacitor-start, induction run motor. The orange leads go to the start winding and the white ones to the run winding. I can tell this as there is only one capacitor present and thus it has to go to the start winding, and the leads coming from the motor that connect to the capacitor are the orange ones. Mike is correct, reversing the two orange leads should result in your motor running in the reverse direction as the polarity of the start winding in relationship to the run winding is what determines motor direction.

Barney Farley
04-06-2015, 1:58 PM
What you have is a single-voltage capacitor-start, induction run motor. The orange leads go to the start winding and the white ones to the run winding. I can tell this as there is only one capacitor present and thus it has to go to the start winding, and the leads coming from the motor that connect to the capacitor are the orange ones. Mike is correct, reversing the two orange leads should result in your motor running in the reverse direction as the polarity of the start winding in relationship to the run winding is what determines motor direction.

I don't know about the single-voltage, but it is single phase, with a start capacitor and only two conductors. As Mike said, the capacitor is in series with the start winding, but switching the orange wires will not change anything, since the polarity remains the same. If the wires are changed at the switch that disengages the capacitor, maybe ... Is this a valuable motor? Be prepared to see the Blue Smoke.

Edward Oleen
04-06-2015, 2:46 PM
It is single voltage: if it were 115/230 it would have the run winding in two halves, and they would be in parallel for 115v use and in series for 230v use.

And there should be some sort of wiring terminal board, with the terminals coded. I believe the code is set by NEMA. I don't have it, and am inquiring of NEMA to try to get it - hopefully without spending this years wood-working budget for the documentation.