PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Form - and airbrushed a bit with dyes!

Steve Huffman
04-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Since my last form was a bit busy in the finial area, decided to go simple and was told, that simple can have an elegant look. Being a greenhorn, I cut a paper template with the Fibonacci Curve to use as a template and think that was a big helped with shaping. This was a first airbrushing with dyes, so did some of the testing on scrap. I usually airbrush turkey heads all day with plain ol lacquer paints, so it is a bit different with dye.

Overall, 12" tall X 6" wide
Aspen Hollow with Poplar pedestal and finial finished in lacquer.
Airbrushing - Misted Brown Mahogany on the top and the 2 center cuts. Sprayed ebony dyes on both Pedestal and finial.

Comments & Critiques always welcome! :)

Thom Sturgill
04-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Your experience with airbrushing shows. I like the effect. I am not sure the form needs the base though.

Roger Chandler
04-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Steve..........ya' done good! I pretty much am a fan of pedestal forms, and this hollow form is similar to some I have done, so I like it! Your finial is fairly simple, but it works well here, and the slanted tip is a pretty nice touch! Killer finish.......that air brushing thing worked well here.........congratulations! http://www.woodturnersunlimited.com/forum/images/smilies/1thumbup.gif

Leo Van Der Loo
04-04-2015, 2:16 PM
Very nice piece Steve, and that from some lowly woods that some turners don’t consider good enough for turning, well done.

I held a card to take the pedestal away from the total, and yes it would look good that way also, still I like it better with your pedestal :)

Steve Huffman
04-04-2015, 8:48 PM
Thank you guys for the comments. I actually had 2 forms sitting on my bench and the curves on this one didn't show the bottom very well like the other, so I set it on a temp pedestal and the small lift seem to help, so that is why I went with it. The other form was just fine as is and I will post it tonight. I will do a side by side and see what you all think. The other has a gentle curve and is taller in the form.

John Sincerbeaux
04-05-2015, 1:27 AM
Nice hollow forms Steve and I really like your choice in motorcycles.
Harley FatBoy, Big Dog Mastiff😃

Doug Herzberg
04-05-2015, 8:47 AM
What Leo said. Love the wood. A lot of aspen isn't that pretty.

Dennis Ford
04-05-2015, 9:26 AM
A beautiful piece, I would not have realized it had added color if you had not mentioned it.

allen thunem
04-05-2015, 11:29 AM
i didn't know there were trees in southeast colorado?:)
ever make it to denver???
lovely piece by the way

Steve Huffman
04-05-2015, 8:50 PM
Nice hollow forms Steve and I really like your choice in motorcycles. Harley FatBoy, Big Dog Mastiff😃 Thanks! I see you also pick a couple winners.
A beautiful piece, I would not have realized it had added color if you had not mentioned it. Its a bit darker on top and fades into the side, so it pretty subtle. Can't see much from this angle.
What Leo said. Love the wood. A lot of aspen isn't that pretty. Hi Doug, From what I know, the live Aspen is pretty white and colorless. What I have is downed blow overs that are still green, but down for maybe a year and so some spalting is going on.
i didn't know there were trees in southeast colorado?:) ever make it to denver??? lovely piece by the way Thanks Allen! Yes, plenty of trees here in the southern mountain area, just nothing to desirable. I need to make a road trip up there to visit http://www.cswoods.com/ Have you ever been there? Their Kiln is close to my place in Gardner, but the showroom and sales is in Denver.

allen thunem
04-06-2015, 8:57 AM
not heard of it till you sent the link now I will have to go visit
drop me a note when you plan on coming.