PDA

View Full Version : Old Brother electric typwriter.Which wire do I cut ????

Clarence Martin
04-04-2015, 5:27 AM
Got an old Brother electric typewriter. It's the GX-9000 . The darn thing has this beeping alarm that goes on every time the power goes out and comes back on. IT IS LOUD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woke me up at 5:00 AM THIS MORNING!!!!!!:mad: Does anyone know which wire I have to cut on it to disconnect that beeper ????

Rich Riddle
04-04-2015, 5:29 AM
Most people turn off the typewriter between uses. The switch should be on the back left if memory serves correctly. That will also stop the constant hum you hear. You don't regularly get up at 5:00 or earlier?

Clarence Martin
04-04-2015, 5:45 AM
I would turn it off between uses. (I have it off now ! ) It's not my typewriter. It's SWBO's Typewriter . DEMANDED! that it always be left on , because turning it on and off causes the gears to grind on start up. Yes, I know get a new typewriter, but she refuses to part with the old Brother! LOL!

Hum sound ?? Never heard it from that model typewriter.

Mike Cozad
04-04-2015, 6:20 AM
You can download both a service and parts manual from the site below. You should find the 2 wires to the speaker to clip them. If you're lucky it will just be a pin connector on the mother board and you can just pull the plug. Happy hunting!

http://www.nodevice.com/manual/Brother/page8.html

John Coloccia
04-04-2015, 6:21 AM
Got an old Brother electric typewriter. It's the GX-9000 . The darn thing has this beeping alarm that goes on every time the power goes out and comes back on. IT IS LOUD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woke me up at 5:00 AM THIS MORNING!!!!!!:mad: Does anyone know which wire I have to cut on it to disconnect that beeper ????

Cut the wire going to the speaker, most likely. :) The thing is that then it won't make all the other beeping noises.

Pat Barry
04-04-2015, 6:31 PM
Cut the black wire coming from the power cord if John's suggestion doesn't work.