PDA

View Full Version : Open box laptop deals

Dave Lehnert
04-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Would you buy an open box laptop computer for a $60 discount?

John McClanahan
04-03-2015, 10:15 PM
No. Is the box opened due to the laptop being returned?

David Masters
04-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Probably if all the parts are there, the laptop is restored to the manufacturer's load, and the warranty is still honored for the original period. However, I'd want to look at the historic sale price for the same model laptop and compare it to the discount offered.

Jerome Stanek
04-04-2015, 7:04 AM
I have 4 open box laptops and 3 open box desk tops all work just like new. The one I am typing this on is an open box Lenovo I3 that I picked up for $122 from Microcenter.

Curt Harms
04-04-2015, 7:47 AM
I bought an "open box" Thinkpad in around 2005-2006. I'm still using it. The hinges are getting a little sloppy though and I think the backlight might be getting dim. I can replace both for around $25 if I choose to.

Steve Peterson
04-04-2015, 6:44 PM
I vote no. Open box usually means that it is a store floor model that might be heavily abused. Factory refurb could be a returned unit with lingering issues. The refurb company may have just given it a quick look and put it back in the box.

Steve

Matt Day
04-04-2015, 8:20 PM
I have to disagree Steve. I think open box generally refers to merchandise that was returned for whatever reason - didn't like the color, changed their mind, was given as a gift, etc. Floor models are usually labelled as such and sometimes missing parts/pieces (I'm thinking of tools mainly here like at the BORG when a router is missing the collets for instance). And factory refurbs carry the same warranty as new and are a great way to save money.

Frederick Skelly
04-05-2015, 12:00 AM
Its so funny you bring this up just now Dave. I bought an open box (returned) computer the other day. Got it home and it wouldnt boot up. Just kept flagging a bios problem. I called the mfgr and they couldnt figure it out. Said to take it back to store. Which I did.

I have mixed feelings on whether Id do it again. Probably not. In hindsight, the folks returning it might have put malware on it, or been victims themselves and just returned it "damaged", etc.

Edit: By open box, I meant merchandise returned to the retailer. Ive bought factory refurbs and had no problems. The factory refurbs are tested and fixed before sale. Store returns arent necessarily, in my (oh so recent) experience.

Bert Kemp
04-05-2015, 12:20 AM
thats all I ever buy is refurbed on ebay, the only computer I ever bought new was my first one a Commodore 64 now I just look on ebay for cheap refurbs, so far so good no problems.

Curt Harms
04-05-2015, 9:29 AM
thats all I ever buy is refurbed on ebay, the only computer I ever bought new was my first one a Commodore 64 now I just look on ebay for cheap refurbs, so far so good no problems.

I've bought two Thinkpads off Ebay - off lease machines. Machines that have been abused never make it to Ebay, they're parted out or recycled. Sure there's a risk but I buy from vendors that offer 2-4 week returns. The last one is an X201 that retailed for well over $1,000 new. I paid a little over $100. I added 2 GB RAM for $12.95 then ran some diagnostics and used it quite a bit the first week. It is in like-new condition. I only buy business class machines with good reputations for durability and repair manuals posted on the manufacturer's sites.

John McClanahan
04-05-2015, 12:43 PM
I consider an "opened box" item is not a refurbished item. I would expect a refurbished laptop to have been re-checked for problems and the hard drive reset for first time startup. You may never know where the opened box laptop has been on the internet before it got returned to the store.

I have read of computer stores that re-sell returned items as "opened box". If it gets returned a second time, they consider it defective. I bought an opened box item once from an out of town computer store that didn't work. Gas to return the item would have cost as much as the item cost me.

For me, the store would need to knock off more than $60 before I would even consider it.

John