PDA

View Full Version : Resawing Basswood

Jess McKenzie
04-03-2015, 7:46 PM
Has anyone had problems with this process? We installed a new 1/2 inch Wood Slicer blade that so far has cut through at least 6 inch planks, hard and soft, like the proverbial hot knife through butter.
But when we tried resawing an 8/4 basswood plank into 4/4 under identical conditions, the blade complained, drifted, and the workpiece bowed. The sawed surface was not smooth but paved with "fuzzies."
I'm beginning to wonder if the Slicer hasn't met its match.
Any advice?
73... ~jess

Mark Yundt
04-06-2015, 9:41 AM
Bass has a tendency to be fuzzy compared to other woods. Considering the piece bowed and sounds like it was binding the blade the only thing I'd say is the piece had some internal "tension" that was relieved as you were cutting. The kerf wanted to close up and when you completed the cut the piece bowed.
A similar thing happened with the Cherub panels I posted. Cut away parts and the piece bowed.
This happens often ripping /resawing thicker boards.

Paul Hinds
04-06-2015, 10:36 AM
I agree w/ Mark on both point. Basswood does tend to fuzz up but normally isn't hard to saw at all so you probably have some tension wood.

Jess McKenzie
04-30-2015, 4:15 PM
"... I'd say is the piece had some internal "tension" that was relieved as you were cutting. The kerf wanted to close up and when you completed the cut the piece bowed. ..."

Thanks to you both. That had not occurred to me, although it should have given that the lumber was 8/4. I'll try resawing shorter lengths. Maybe that'll work.... ~jess

Terry Beadle
07-19-2015, 11:32 AM
I've had similar problems. I had resonable results by cutting very slowly letting the gullets of the Wood Slicer clear the kerf and keep it that way.
The fuzzies were taken care of by a sharp edged Stanley #5 Hock blade.