PDA

View Full Version : Restore Plane Or No?

Derek Arita
04-03-2015, 4:57 PM
OK...I have a K2 Keen Kutter plane. It has about 95% Japaning on the body, but I think the frog was previously derusted as there is very little Japaning left on it. Blade, cap iron, lever cap, frog and all other parts have been derusted and show pitting and some rust has returned.
First, how old is this plane? I'd like to restore it, however I don't know how far I should go. I would probably derust, strip all Japaning, then repaint both body and frog. What do you think?

Paul Sidener
04-03-2015, 5:00 PM
Pictures would help

Jim Belair
04-03-2015, 5:06 PM
I'd clean up the rusty bits and just use it.

Derek Arita
04-03-2015, 5:16 PM
Wish I could post pics, but my camera is broken. Guess I'm really asking if I'm diminishing it's value by doing further restoration?

Jim Koepke
04-03-2015, 5:38 PM
I am not real sure, but someone posted that the K series of Keen Kutter planes was made around 1920 by Stanley.

It is your plane, so what ever you choose to do is fine. My vote goes toward giving it a nice coat of paint.

For some, this size plane is considered to be unneeded. For others it is a highly coveted collectable.

If you have projects on the small side or have kids who want to make some shavings, this is a great size plane to have on hand.

jtk

Greg Wease
04-03-2015, 5:48 PM
Stanley made the K2 for Simmons Hardware from 1913 to 1929. Because there are Keen Kutter collectors out there and this is one of the rarer "K" models. I would do as little as possible to refurb other than a basic clean-up. Just use as-is.

steven c newman
04-03-2015, 7:10 PM
IIRC: The "K" series was a Bed Rock clone, whereas the KK series was just your run of the mill Bailey design. A K2 would be about the same as a #602....

Just a heads up.

don wilwol
04-04-2015, 7:24 AM
Based in what has been written, my opinion would be restoring would increase the value. Almost any #2 size vintage plane has some collector value, but that need to be in good shape.

Rich Riddle
04-04-2015, 11:01 PM
I vote for getting it into usable shape and using it. Tools need to be used, and they aren't happy as dust collectors.

Mike Henderson
04-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Sure, a K2 is a good plane. If you don't want it, I'll buy it from you.

Mike

Dave Parkis
04-05-2015, 9:18 AM
You wouldn't have any trouble selling it as is. Depending on how skilled you are at restoring planes, it might be better to leave it alone. Many collectors want the tools they buy to be "barn fresh". Personally, I think "painting" it will definitely decrease the value.

Derek Arita
04-05-2015, 9:56 AM
You wouldn't have any trouble selling it as is. Depending on how skilled you are at restoring planes, it might be better to leave it alone. Many collectors want the tools they buy to be "barn fresh". Personally, I think "painting" it will definitely decrease the value.

What about the frog that's already been stripped? Should that remain bare metal?

ken hatch
04-05-2015, 10:06 AM
OK...I have a K2 Keen Kutter plane. It has about 95% Japaning on the body, but I think the frog was previously derusted as there is very little Japaning left on it. Blade, cap iron, lever cap, frog and all other parts have been derusted and show pitting and some rust has returned.
First, how old is this plane? I'd like to restore it, however I don't know how far I should go. I would probably derust, strip all Japaning, then repaint both body and frog. What do you think?

The first question is do you want a user or do you want to sell. If a user then make it how you want, re-paint or whatever. If to sell, leave it alone unless you are an expert plane restorer.

I had an interesting conversation with a good friend the other day about restoring cars and trucks. It isn't about making them look nice it is about taking the car or truck back to the way it looked the day it rolled out of the factory. If when it rolled out of the factory there was paint overspray in the wheel well then the restored car better have overspray in the wheel well and so on. Unless you have that level of knowledge about the plane, anything you do to it will decease its value to a collector.

ken

Dave Parkis
04-05-2015, 11:57 AM
What about the frog that's already been stripped? Should that remain bare metal?
I would leave it as it is. There are some people out thee that restore planes and use japanning. If a collector buys that plane, he/she will either just leave it the way it is or send it to someone who is skilled at restoring and have the frog done with the rest of the plane.

Derek Arita
04-09-2015, 2:06 PM
Well, being anal me, I decided to strip the body of the plane...and boy am I glad I did. First, the Japaning seemed to come off really easily in one application and that didn't seem right. Once all the finish was stripped off, I saw a bed of rust that was lying under the finish. My only guess is that the plane was previously painted, without derusting. Could rust form under the japanning? Anyways, all the finish would have come off in time, so I'm glad I did decide to strip and refinish.
Now the plane body is sitting in Evaporust for the day and hopefully, will be derusted by tomorrow.