PDA

View Full Version : Airbrushing for paint fill?

Kit Dumph
04-03-2015, 4:55 PM
I'm doing some rather large projects and while the rattle can does a pretty good job I'm thinking an airbrush would do better and be a bit cheaper in the long run?

Seems like most people like the Paasche H Single Action? Will this work well with my current compressor that came with my Helix? Or should I just buy the the compressor as well, as I'll most likely be painting in a different area.

What type of paints spray the best and are used for wood?

Any other tips, websites with good info for a newbies?

Bill George
04-03-2015, 6:45 PM
I'm doing some rather large projects and while the rattle can does a pretty good job I'm thinking an airbrush would do better and be a bit cheaper in the long run?

Seems like most people like the Paasche H Single Action? Will this work well with my current compressor that came with my Helix? Or should I just buy the the compressor as well, as I'll most likely be painting in a different area.

What type of paints spray the best and are used for wood?

Any other tips, websites with good info for a newbies?

Do you mean you are painting a large surface area and spray cans are to slow? I don't think an air brush does large areas very fast, at least not the one I used anyway. You might be better off with a HVLP spray gun, the smaller size model. But then as with the air brush you would have to mix and thin your own paint for spraying.

They do make handles for those rattle cans that make it a bit easier.

Joe Pelonio
04-03-2015, 7:54 PM
Airbrush paint is thinner, it would be slow, and take several coats to paint fill. I use it for many things but for paint fill the fastest way is to use a squeegie and acrylic paint, the kind that comes in a small plastic bottle for $1 or less at the craft stores. If the wood is finished
you can just wipe off the excess with a damp sponge. I also use it on acrylic. If it has mask on it when you engrave (I use transfer tape) you just let it dry then peel it off.

Matt McCoy
04-03-2015, 10:27 PM
An airbrush has a learning curve to keep it running properly. Single-action brushes are usually for hobbyists and not as robust as the dual-action models. You would probably want to look at an airbrush meant for t-shirts, which are capable of spraying thicker paints that dry fast and can be cranked up to 70+ PSI. You will need a compressor with a decent 3 gallon tank or more.

This is probably the best resource to learn more about airbrushing:

http://www.airbrushaction.com/

Depending on your project, a touch-up sprayer might be a better option.

Mike Null
04-04-2015, 6:49 AM
I just finished a job using my airbrush. Because of the area of the fill and the transfer paper I used as a mask the airbrush was the correct tool for the job. Yes, a single action will work just fine and is easier to use than a double action. The area I was covering was about 9 square inches and the airbrush made quick work of it. For this job I used air brush black paint on engraved raw plywood and it covered very well. had I used other colors I'm sure multiple coats would have been required.

Check the specs on the airbrush to be sure the orifice is large enough for the paint you want to use.

I have several airbrushes including a couple of pricy double action ones that I rarely use. I use an airbrush compressor but my Craftsman will work as will the Gast I have on my Newing Hall engraver.

Scott Shepherd
04-04-2015, 12:02 PM
I like the double action for the simple reason that you can spray just air. I use that all the time to accelerate drying on things I airbrush.

Kit Dumph
04-04-2015, 1:12 PM
Ok so these pieces are 24X18 with lots of detail and engraving work. So perhaps an airbrush isn't going to be my best bet here. Joe, are you talking about something like this? I have plenty of craft sore acrylic paint... http://www.lowes.com/pd_278374-1316-17012_4294599015__?productId=3434976&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Mike Null
04-05-2015, 8:03 AM
You would probably be better off to use a credit card like squeegee or make something on your laser.

Check one of the wholesale sign shops in your area. They may give you a couple.

Kit Dumph
04-06-2015, 6:48 PM
I'm sorry Mike, but your going to have enlighten me more? Are we talking those little plastic things you can use to get out transfer tape bubbles and things of that nature?

Kev Williams
04-06-2015, 9:09 PM
I use this $10 airbrush from HF for spraying Cermark. I've never sprayed paint with it, but I'm sure it would work okay.
I've used this to almost fully cover 24 x 30" stainless panels with Cermark. Doesn't take all that long.
Open the bottle nozzle up and crank the air upto 20 psi and it lays down a lot of Cermark! This thing doesn't have near
the finesse the better types of airbrushes have,but it works well for me. For $10, it's cheap to test! :)

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/hfairbrush.jpg

Mike Null
04-07-2015, 7:30 AM
Kit

Yes, that is what I'm referring to.

janet impson
05-01-2015, 11:28 AM
I'm doing some rather large projects and while the rattle can does a pretty good job I'm thinking an airbrush would do better and be a bit cheaper in the long run? Seems like most people like the Paasche H Single Action? Will this work well with my current compressor that came with my Helix? Or should I just buy the the compressor as well, as I'll most likely be painting in a different area. What type of paints spray the best and are used for wood? Any other tips, websites with good info for a newbies?
Yes airbrush would be better. For airbrushing paasche are good one. With paasche airbrush set (http://www.artistsupplysource.com/product/16594/paasche-model-hs-single-action-airbrush-set/) you can paint in a different area.

I think acrylic are best used for wood and I also use acrylic for wood. If it has mask on it when you engrave you just let it dry then peel it off.