PDA

View Full Version : Hepa capabilities in a Vac w/o the $$

Mac McQuinn
04-03-2015, 3:36 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for a Vac with Hepa filtering capabilities without spending significant amounts of money? Also need something which doesn't push all the exhaust throughout the the room.
Thanks,
Mac

Kent A Bathurst
04-03-2015, 3:55 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for a Vac with Hepa filtering capabilities without spending significant amounts of money? Also need something which doesn't push all the exhaust throughout the the room.
Thanks,
Mac

Your definition of significant amounts of money is...........???? Do you mean less than a Fein Turbo??

What is the price range you are dreaming of? Gotta number in mind?

And - doesn't push all the exhaust throughout the the room - you really lost me there, Mac - want do you want the exhaust to do? Where does it need to go?

Matt Day
04-03-2015, 5:09 PM
I'm not sure if it qualifies, but I have a HEPA filter in my C'man shop vac.

Jim Dwight
04-03-2015, 7:56 PM
You can put a HEPA filter on a Rigid shop vacuum for $30. I have one on mine. It plugged pretty quick before I put a dust deputy on it, however. I really like my Rigid dust deputy combination. I have it on a rolling cart that is a modified version of the Woodsmith plans (available for free over the net). I add the Bosch 5 meter hose for about $35. It fits the cyclone inlet well. My whole setup is much less than a Fein or a Festool.

Mac McQuinn
04-03-2015, 9:20 PM
Yes, I'm hoping to get by for significantly less than a Fein or Festool, perhaps $250 tops. That said, I've tried a Craftsman with a retrofitted Hepa filter, Dust Deputy and added muffler and found lots of dust on the machine after use. Also the jet propelled exhaust really stirred up the dust off the floor while vacuuming. I've looked at the Ridgid although there isn't a seal between top and bottom and the exhaust appears the same as the C/M. The Festool I've tried at Woodcraft must have some sort of exhaust defuser of some type as it doesn't stir up the dust like my Craftsman, even with a add on muffler.
Mac

Matt Day
04-03-2015, 9:43 PM
Maybe add some ducting of some sort to aim the exhaust?
My shop vac is under a bench (I have the muffler as well) and I've never noticed it stirring up dust. Maybe I'm not that sensitive to it though. I also have an ambient air filter I'll run if I'm sanding.

Jim Dwight
04-04-2015, 9:23 AM
Your exhaust comments reminded me of a mistake I made when hooking my vacuum and cyclone together in their little cart. I was using a heat gun to mold 2 inch PVC so I could directly connect the two. I wasn't paying attention and initially had the shop vacuum exhaust hooked to the cyclone. I turned it on and instantly knew I'd messed up. Fortunately I had plenty of pipe and fixed it. The exhaust was actually easier to plumb this way, however. It exits horizontally. The intake angles up on mine so that made it a little harder to connect. So if you want to diffuse the exhaust, or just angle it up or something, a few minutes with some PVC and a heat gun and you can do it.

This cart is like mine although we've both customized in different ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2cwVbNb8gs

A big advantage, at least to me, of this setup is you don't need any bags or anything for the dust. I just slip the PVC apart that connects the cyclone to the shop vac and dump the drywall bucket into the waste can in my shop. No expense and not much effort required. I would hate buying and throwing away bags. Another advantage is much less cleaning is required of the filter. Even on drywall dust, the cyclone gets almost everything. I recently did a large room and vacuumed up all the dust with this setup and I could still see the bottom of the dust bin on the shop vacuum while collecting over 4 gallons of dust (some was wood) in the drywall bucket under the cyclone. The filter was a bit dirty but I tapped it against my waste can and put it back together. I'd probably emptied the bucket 2 or 3 times without cleaning the filter. I used to have to clean it every time I emptied the shop vacuum.

Obviously, $250 would easily get you a setup like this with all the "bells and whistles". My vacuum was about $50, filter another $30, sheet of plywood $35, wheels were $14 (HF), Miscellaneous probably another $30. I haven't added the switch Trevor has to automatically turn the vacuum on but it is another $40. So less than $200 all up. A bigger shop vacuum could push this up some but I don't see the point. My little 6 gallon Rigid works fine. And if my vacuum ever quits, I will just replace that. Rest should last indefinitely (switch could fail too, I guess, but isn't necessary).

Paul McGaha
04-04-2015, 9:33 AM
Mac,

I think this is a "you get what you pay for" situation. My main shop vacume is a Fein Turbo III and I like it a lot and would buy another. I read that the Festool vacumes are as good or better.

Good luck with your purchase.

PHM

Rod Sheridan
04-04-2015, 5:10 PM
Yes, I'm hoping to get by for significantly less than a Fein or Festool, perhaps $250 tops. That said, I've tried a Craftsman with a retrofitted Hepa filter, Dust Deputy and added muffler and found lots of dust on the machine after use. Also the jet propelled exhaust really stirred up the dust off the floor while vacuuming. I've looked at the Ridgid although there isn't a seal between top and bottom and the exhaust appears the same as the C/M. The Festool I've tried at Woodcraft must have some sort of exhaust defuser of some type as it doesn't stir up the dust like my Craftsman, even with a add on muffler.
Mac

Adding a HEPA filter to a shop vacuum doesn't make it a HEPA vacuum.

A HEPA vacuum is designed from the ground up, with special seals and construction to prevent it from venting dust into the room.

The construction and testing cost money............Regards. Rod.

Larry Frank
04-04-2015, 6:58 PM
I think a HEPA vac is a great addition for a shop especially for things like sanding. They are not cheap but great for your lungs. I have the Festool CT26 and love it. It is quiet and effective. I use mine e for Sanders and scroll saw both create lots of small dust.

Mac McQuinn
04-04-2015, 8:08 PM
Adding a HEPA filter to a shop vacuum doesn't make it a HEPA vacuum.

A HEPA vacuum is designed from the ground up, with special seals and construction to prevent it from venting dust into the room.

The construction and testing cost money............Regards. Rod.

I'm fully aware of this hence my remarks concerning retrofitting a "Hepa" filter. While I may very well end up with either the Festool or Fein, my research on these two vacs is a couple years old and I felt perhaps something new was on the market at a lesser price. The European market seems to be more progressive in regards to efficient dust collection, hopefully something will flow across to the U.S. soon.
Mac

Mac McQuinn
04-04-2015, 8:13 PM
Mac,

I think this is a "you get what you pay for" situation. My main shop vacume is a Fein Turbo III and I like it a lot and would buy another. I read that the Festool vacumes are as good or better.

Good luck with your purchase.

PHM

Paul,
You're more than likely correct. My research on both the Fein and Festool vacs is more than 2 years old and I was hoping something new with like performance had entered the market since then.
Mac

Frank Martin
04-05-2015, 12:05 AM
I think some Fein models are not that much more than $250. So go for those. I have a Festool CT22 and very happy with.

Mike Schuch
04-05-2015, 1:40 AM
I do not use my shop vac for dust collection on my large powertools, I have a dust collector for those. But I do use my shop vac for a lot of hand help power sanders. I use the yellow dry wall dust rated shop vac bags and they do a great job of filtering out the fine dust. I tried using a hepa filter with the shop vac filter and it plugged up in a matter of minutes. The huge surface area of the drywall shop vac bags allows them to keep flowing until the bag themselves are full.

I have even sanded a fair amount of drywall joint compound with the yellow drywall dust bags in my shop vac and they do a great job of allowing the air to flow through the shop vac without plugging and without filling the air with the really fine drywall dust.

John TenEyck
04-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Paul,
You're more than likely correct. My research on both the Fein and Festool vacs is more than 2 years old and I was hoping something new with like performance had entered the market since then.
Mac

Bosch introduced a new model in the past couple of years with some type of shaker or some such device to continually clean the filter. I don't know the price but doubt it is much different from the other well regarded HEPA vacs. I agree with others that this is not likely an area where you can successfully retrofit a non HEPA vac and come close to the same level of capture. If you want HEPA for cheap wear an appropriately rated dust mask.

John

Phil Thien
04-05-2015, 12:46 PM
I guess I'll be the dissenter here but if you add a HEPA filter to an existing cleaner, making certain that the filter fits snugly, and better yet also add a bag, I think what you have is equivalent to any vacuum tested to be HEPA compliant.

There are some Shop-Vac brand units that have a top that doesn't neck-down. I'd use one of those, because getting bags in/out is very easy, even if the bag is accidentally filled to the brim. Even some HEPA-compliant vacs neck-down at the top, and I've watched as people try to remove the bags and the bags can rip and puff a bunch of whatever is in them through the fill hole as people compress the bag trying to get it out.

Edward Oleen
04-06-2015, 3:29 PM
Why don't you vent the exhaust are to the outside? It seems to me that the only reason for a HEPA filter is to allow you to breathe the output of the vac or whatever.

HEPA filters - the real ones - aren't cheap, and they will plug up. Then, unless you either clean or replace the filter, your collection efficiency goes to pot.

Phil Thien
04-06-2015, 4:23 PM
Why don't you vent the exhaust are to the outside? It seems to me that the only reason for a HEPA filter is to allow you to breathe the output of the vac or whatever.

HEPA filters - the real ones - aren't cheap, and they will plug up. Then, unless you either clean or replace the filter, your collection efficiency goes to pot.

Well if you're collecting lead or asbestos, you really should exhaust unfiltered air outside. I suppose it would be okay if there was nobody around you for some distance and you weren't worried about kicking anything up with a mower or kids running in the grass. But bags + good filter is likely a better idea if you need safe containment.

Mac McQuinn
04-06-2015, 4:45 PM
Ed & Phil,
This is a Vac which will be used on the move after a wood working job. It would be tough to exhaust outside as the Vac is being tugged everywhere in a 24'x24' area. I have no plans to use this for Asbestos or Lead, etc. although I do have a neighbor immediately to my south. I have a large project to Vac in the basement first and don't want to stir up anything as there's no Air Cleaner down there any longer to help keep the fines down. That's why I have a concern about the exhaust.
At this point I'm about to pull the switch on a Festool Midi which I believe will give me the most flexibility and control although at a price. I guess you only cry once.....:rolleyes:
Mac

Jason Roehl
04-06-2015, 5:09 PM
I guess I'll be the dissenter here but if you add a HEPA filter to an existing cleaner, making certain that the filter fits snugly, and better yet also add a bag, I think what you have is equivalent to any vacuum tested to be HEPA compliant.

There are some Shop-Vac brand units that have a top that doesn't neck-down. I'd use one of those, because getting bags in/out is very easy, even if the bag is accidentally filled to the brim. Even some HEPA-compliant vacs neck-down at the top, and I've watched as people try to remove the bags and the bags can rip and puff a bunch of whatever is in them through the fill hole as people compress the bag trying to get it out.

I agree with this. I've seen and used the certified HEPA vacs (other than Fein or Festool), and they're nothing special. Their extra cost is largely wrapped up in the certification testing, not the construction. I have a ShopVac which I use on jobsites for general clean-up, drywall dust and for collecting sanding dust when refinishing floors. I have added a HEPA plaited filter to it, as well as a disposable drywall dust bag. Both of those items have very good seals on them--the bag has a good rubber seal around the deflector just inside where the hose connects to the canister, and the HEPA plaited filter has thick, but soft rubber seals on it top and bottom. Just looking at the setup, you can tell that it works. Using it confirms that, as there are no dust streaks near exhaust ports.

John Huds0n
04-06-2015, 5:21 PM
Is $143 too expensive?

Amazon warehouse has one Vacmaster Wet & Dry Vac with a HEPA filter that normally sells for $350.
http://www.amazon.com/Vacmaster-VK1011SIWTH-DryStainless-Certified-Vacuum/dp/B007ULBA38/ref=sr_1_9?m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&s=merchant&ie=UTF8&qid=1428354994&sr=1-9&keywords=hepa+vac

Looks like it had packaging damage. If your not familiar with Amazon Warehouse - all items are sold as used, but they do come with a 30 day return policy. This vac is also currently priced at HomeDepot for $350

Phil Thien
04-06-2015, 5:32 PM
Is $143 too expensive?

Amazon warehouse has one Vacmaster Wet & Dry Vac with a HEPA filter that normally sells for $350.
http://www.amazon.com/Vacmaster-VK1011SIWTH-DryStainless-Certified-Vacuum/dp/B007ULBA38/ref=sr_1_9?m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&s=merchant&ie=UTF8&qid=1428354994&sr=1-9&keywords=hepa+vac

Looks like it had packaging damage. If your not familiar with Amazon Warehouse - all items are sold as used, but they do come with a 30 day return policy. This vac is also currently priced at HomeDepot for $350

I believe those have come up before and the CERTIFIED HEPA FILTRATION means that the unit as a whole wasn't certified, just the filter was part of another certified unit.

John Huds0n
04-06-2015, 6:06 PM
I believe those have come up before and the CERTIFIED HEPA FILTRATION means that the unit as a whole wasn't certified, just the filter was part of another certified unit.

For $143 - looks like a pretty good deal. Complies with EPA regs, description say HEPA Certified...

The Vacmaster Industrial HEPA Certified 10 Gallon Wet/Dry Vac has an ultra quiet 2-stage industrial motor and complies with EPA's new Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule (RRP Rule). It features 4 levels of filtration including a HEPA cartridge filter, Dacron type pre-filter, high-efficiency fine dust filter bag with closure flap, and an exhaust filter – all of which provides 99.97% efficiency at 0.03 microns. This commercial vac also comes with a lighted plug, crushproof industrial hose, large push/pull handle for easy transport and foam filter sleeve for picking-up liquid materials.

Phil Thien
04-06-2015, 8:29 PM
For $143 - looks like a pretty good deal. Complies with EPA regs, description say HEPA Certified...

I'm probably mistaken on the model # then, looks pretty decent.

Rod Sheridan
04-07-2015, 4:17 PM
I'm fully aware of this hence my remarks concerning retrofitting a "Hepa" filter. While I may very well end up with either the Festool or Fein, my research on these two vacs is a couple years old and I felt perhaps something new was on the market at a lesser price. The European market seems to be more progressive in regards to efficient dust collection, hopefully something will flow across to the U.S. soon.
Mac

Hi Mac, good luck with the search.

At work we also have Nilfisk vacuums in case you wanted to research another brand.............Regards, Rod.

Myk Rian
04-07-2015, 5:49 PM
Well if you're collecting lead or asbestos, you really should exhaust unfiltered air outside..
Seriously? You might want to rethink that.
I have asbestosis. You DON'T want that stuff floating around anywhere.

Phil Thien
04-07-2015, 5:53 PM
Seriously? You might want to rethink that.
I have asbestosis. You DON'T want that stuff floating around anywhere.

I intended to write SHOULD NOT. That was clear from the rest of my comment, no?

Myk Rian
04-07-2015, 6:03 PM
I intended to write SHOULD NOT. That was clear from the rest of my comment, no?
Well, this sure didn't help your cause.

I suppose it would be okay if there was nobody around you for some distance and you weren't worried about kicking anything up with a mower or kids running in the grass.

Phil Thien
04-07-2015, 6:13 PM
Well, this sure didn't help your cause.

LOL, I can see your point.

But I was trying to provide some food for thought, it wasn't meant as an endorsement of the practice.