PDA

View Full Version : Splay-leg Cherry Table W/Pics

Jason Tuinstra
08-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Well, I started this on Monday afternoon and I just put a coat of BLO on it. So it's done for now!

This is my version of Garrett Hack's Splay-Legged Table (FWW Jan/Feb 2004). I did the joinery a bit different, but it's pretty much the same. I had a nice board of qs cherry laying around, so I used it for the aprons. The grain follows all the way around the table. The top is a piece of figured cherry, only it dosen't show up very well in the photo. The cockbead is tiger maple. The top is attatched with some pocket screws with the holes wallowed out a bit movement. Nothing real difficult about this project, but it was fun and will make a nice addition to our home.

Sorry if the pictures are a bit dark/light. I tweaked them on my laptop and who know's how they will look on the rest of your computers. And don't mind the driveway shots. The lighting was too good outside not to use it, even if it was just outside the garage.

P.S. Thanks Alan for some of the square pins! Guess which ones came from you? :D

john whittaker
08-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Very nice piece Jason. The Qt/S cherry is fantastic. What a great piece of wood. Nice work.

Joe Unni
08-04-2005, 10:59 PM
Very nice Jason!

I really like the beveled top cut by the Tuinstra-jig. At what angle was this cut? Very nice. As well the square pins? Are they through pins or dare I say false plugs covering screws? Either way they just add so much!

Again - great job.

-joe

Roger Myers
08-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Jason...looks wonderful. Love how that cherry just glows, and the maple is a great accent. Slow down a little though, your making the rest of us look bad!
Roger

Jules Dominguez
08-04-2005, 11:07 PM
I like it, Jason. Very nice. Especially since you made it in the time it would take me to think about it.

Roy Wall
08-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Jason,

Another beautiful piece.......sleek, clean.....nice- real nice:)

Did you use loose M&T for the apron/legs?

Legs taper cut on the Uni?

We all saw this lurkinging in the background of you bevel-jig thread..:cool:

Jason Tuinstra
08-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Joe, thanks. I don't recall what the angle is. The edge is 3/8" and I came in an 1 1/2" I connected those two points and set my bevel gague and set up the saw. The pins actually work - at least I hope so. I drilled them with an 1/8" bit, and then squared them up with a chisel and drove the square pins, though they were rounded off the first 2/3 of the pin.

Roy, thanks as well. I used regular mortise and tenon. 1/2" shoulder on the top and bottom - that's where I differed from Hack. He made one long mortise and tenon joint. Yes, the legs were tapered on the Uni. The taper goes the whole length of the leg. The WWII did a great job on this! A little work with 220 sandpaper took care of the few little marks that were left. It was cuttin' real smooth!

Corey Hallagan
08-04-2005, 11:55 PM
Nice work Jason! Looks great as usual!

Corey

Mark Singer
08-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Jason,

Excellent! Nice proportions...beautiful wood....great work!

John Scane
08-05-2005, 1:15 AM
Great work!

Dan Forman
08-05-2005, 1:26 AM
Jason---Love those little Shaker tables, will be making several of those myself when I get up to speed. You did a really fine job on this one, beautiful wood and craftsmanship.

Dan

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-05-2005, 2:27 AM
Sweet! Makes me wanna touch it. :eek:

Hopefully, everyone realizes that's a good thing. :D

KC

Alan Turner
08-05-2005, 8:47 AM
Nice work, as usual!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-05-2005, 8:52 AM
Excellent work Jason, as always!

Rob Russell
08-05-2005, 8:57 AM
Nice job - the combination of woods is super!

Sam Blasco
08-05-2005, 9:13 AM
Executed to near perfection. Good job, Jason.

Jim Becker
08-05-2005, 9:47 AM
Oh, man...that is awesome, Jason!! I'm going to have to try that design as I've pretty much only done the straight-leg version of this style table. (Moser design in my case) Those splayed legs really add a huge amount of interest...

Robby Phelps
08-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Nice work Jason. Very well done!

Donnie Raines
08-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Looking real good Jason!!! I made a pair of these a few months back...they are a joy to build.

everett lowell
08-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Great looking table Jason,nice work, and I am equally impressed in the time in which you knocked this project out! I wish I could do that.:)

Jason Tuinstra
08-05-2005, 1:23 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. You guys are very gracious and a great source of encouragement.

Jim, I really encourage you do give it a shot. It's adds soooo much more interest and yet keeps the overall Shaker look. The only trick with splayed legs was keeping the square pins square to the floor and not the leg.

Donnie, I agree, a real joy to build. I should have made a couple, but I didn't have enough of this qs cherry on hand. You being the lumber guy, I'm sure this was no problem for you :)

Everett, it's not that hard of a table to build. Really! Give it a shot, you'll see.

Michael Stafford
08-05-2005, 1:42 PM
Nicely done, I particularly like the cockbead. A wonderful project, Jason!!!

Donnie Raines
08-05-2005, 1:43 PM
Donnie, I agree, a real joy to build. I should have made a couple, but I didn't have enough of this qs cherry on hand. You being the lumber guy, I'm sure this was no problem for you :)

You may recall....I used curly maple for my tables. My wife told me to paint the bottoms...leaving the just the top to wow you....talk about a waste of nice lumber. But to keep the peace.... :rolleyes: :cool:

Jim Becker
08-05-2005, 1:45 PM
You may recall....I used curly maple for my tables. My wife told me to paint the bottoms...leaving the just the top to wow you....talk about a waste of nice lumber. But to keep the peace....

Next time that happens, "Ok, honey...I can do that, but I need to make a new base for the table. This curly maple doesn't take paint very well..."

Jason Tuinstra
08-05-2005, 1:48 PM
Wow, I forgot about that, Donnie. I'm with Jim on that one. Write it down on a card and practice it :D BTW, what method did you use to attatch the top on yours?

John Miliunas
08-05-2005, 1:50 PM
You done did it again, Jason! Beautiful piece!:) And, of course, great choice of wood. I like the pocket hole method of attaching the top, as well. Think I'll have to "steal" that idea on my next one!:D :cool:

Donnie Raines
08-05-2005, 1:50 PM
Next time that happens, "Ok, honey...I can do that, but I need to make a new base for the table. This curly maple doesn't take paint very well..."

This is the same person that ask me why the wood I was useing was all bumpy and had lines in it.....followed by a, "your going to sand that right?"...but I love her...she puts up with me.. :cool:

Donnie Raines
08-05-2005, 1:56 PM
Wow, I forgot about that, Donnie. I'm with Jim on that one. Write it down on a card and practice it :D BTW, what method did you use to attatch the top on yours?

I attahced mine useing figure eights. I bore holes on the tops of the legs and fasten the top at the corners. I considered doing what you did.

Here is my table:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=99247#post99247

Jason Tuinstra
08-05-2005, 2:03 PM
Ahhhh.... now I remember that piece! The scroll work threw me off.

Donnie Raines
08-05-2005, 2:06 PM
Ahhhh.... now I remember that piece! The scroll work threw me off.

I prefer the style that you built. The scroll work makes it a little to formal...but it was fun to add a little kick. There is so little stock needed for these tables, one could build several tables with just a a handful of boards.

Bruce Page
08-05-2005, 2:30 PM
Beautiful Jason. Of course whenever I see your name along with a paper clip icon, I expect to see beautiful!

lou sansone
08-05-2005, 2:35 PM
very nice work..... like the little accents at the bottom of the apron.. what type of branding iron do you use?

lou

Jason Tuinstra
08-05-2005, 2:46 PM
Bruce, you're too kind.

Lou, I have a basic iron that you heat up on an open flame - gas stove in my case. I'm not always consistent with how well I do it. Sometime's I burn too deeply. Other times I don't leave it on long enough. And sometimes I do it right the first time :p In this case, I should have left it on longer, but it was it was close enough.

John Branam
08-05-2005, 3:48 PM
I really like that table beautiful work. I am going to make a couple of those.

Chris Padilla
08-05-2005, 5:17 PM
What?? No hidden (drop-straight-down) drawer?? What happend?? You told me you'd do that!! :mad:

Sigh, this piece is ruined for me! :(

hehehe...Happy Friday, Cali-Bro...sweet hunk 'o cherry you slapped together....

:D

Alan Tolchinsky
08-05-2005, 5:59 PM
Jason, I love that table especially the tiger maple accent. And the wood! Wow! Very cool! One question? How did you level the bottom of the legs since they splay out? And how did you figure your angle for the apron cuts? Inquiring minds want to know. :) And yeah I know that's two questions. :) Thanks Alan in Md.

Jerry Olexa
08-05-2005, 6:11 PM
Jason, your usual high quality work!! Thanks!!

Jason Tuinstra
08-05-2005, 7:19 PM
Alan, thanks for the kind words.

The legs are not perfectly level to the ground. I chamfered the edges to soften them and they looked good enough so I left them. Having said that, I had a little wabble in the table which I leveled out on a flat table top and sandpaper. I'm sure the had more to do with the floor where it was than my craftsmanship, though :p :D

The angle was figured out for me using the FWW article. It's 94 degrees. This combined with the taper of the legs gives you the overall look.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-05-2005, 7:35 PM
Thanks Jason. I'll have to check my FWW magazines for more ideas and details. Alan

Martin Shupe
08-14-2005, 3:19 AM
Very nice, Jason, as usual... keep them coming!