PDA

View Full Version : Blade and Chipbreaker for Union No. 3 Plane

Matthew Hutchinson477
04-02-2015, 9:06 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/k9hzs7.jpg

Evening all,
I got ahold of this plane on accident actually and decided to keep it. I like the size a lot and it's in pretty good condition. Patent date stamped on the sole is 12/08/1903. Problem is it didn't come with a blade or chipbreaker. I don't know much about Union planes and haven't been able to find out much searching the web. Will an old Stanley No. 3 blade and chipbreaker fit this plane? The width is the same I think so I don't see why it wouldn't work but then again I know little about planes (this is only my second). If an old Stanley won't fit, anyone know where I can find a blade setup for this besides waiting for one to pop up on ebay (which may take a while)?

Thanks!

Charlie Buchanan
04-02-2015, 9:36 PM
I seem to recall that the advance mechanism of the X planes contacts the chipbreaker in a different place so a Stanley iron/chipbreaker won't work. There is a whole #3 union X on ebay now that has issues--a crack and a broken tote, but it looks like a pretty long iron from the photos.

Matthew Hutchinson477
04-02-2015, 10:09 PM
I seem to recall that the advance mechanism of the X planes contacts the chipbreaker in a different place so a Stanley iron/chipbreaker won't work. There is a whole #3 union X on ebay now that has issues--a crack and a broken tote, but it looks like a pretty long iron from the photos.

I figured if anything it would be the chipbreaker that wouldn't fit but maybe I can have Hock or some tool company make me a chip breaker without any holes in it.

Andrae Covington
04-03-2015, 12:44 PM
This page on brasscityrecords (http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/museum/union%207/union%20x%207.html) gives a little history.

These two completed ebay listings have some decent photos of the blade and chipbreaker.

Matthew Hutchinson477
04-03-2015, 4:56 PM
I tried the blade and chipbreaker from an old Fulton plane that happened to be the right width but it wouldn't fit. I think the blade would be fine but the chipbreaker won't fit the lever cap and depth adjuster. I guess I may just have to suck it up and wait till one pops up on ebay or find someone who can make one custom for me.

don wilwol
04-03-2015, 7:17 PM
If you email Ron Hock, he'll probably make you one. You'll need the dimensions, and I don't have a #3 size so I can't help.