PDA

View Full Version : For the record: Lie-Neilsen Customer Support

Kent A Bathurst
04-02-2015, 7:42 PM
Just wanted to drive a stake in the ground.....

I had some questions about how to proceed on a difficult situation, which I have not faced before.

I contacted LN via email. Got a reply in short order. Confirmed half of my plan, and nudged me to back off the other half. Follow-up question, with another reply in short order, including a request to contact them again if I run into a situation where I am unclear.

Gotta love 'em.

Bill McNiel
04-02-2015, 8:12 PM
Therapy, drug / alcohol issue or woodworking?

Chris Padilla
04-02-2015, 8:18 PM
Mmmmmm, nice 'n vague and useful.... :p

Kent A Bathurst
04-02-2015, 8:58 PM
For the record: Botha youse guys suck. :p

I am looking at planing some big $$$ curly maple, which I have not had to do in the past.

They were very helpful. And I just wanted that note to be in the cosmic consciousness - which is positively dripping with irony, because my situation has a clear hand-plane solution, but my right shoulder is shot, and Harold is working the Cosmic Tool Karma angle to get my hand planes to leave me, and....the more I think about it, I dunno why I am even concerned about how to proceed.......... :confused:

Bill McNiel
04-02-2015, 9:27 PM
Kent,
Think router sled, then belt sander and finish with ROS (I use a Festool 1/2 sheet). I have a number of highly figured maple slabs that I surfaced this way. A lot easier on the body than pushing a hand plane.

mike mcilroy
04-02-2015, 9:28 PM
If you were closer I'd probably try to get your planes to leave you too, but Atlanta... no they can stay.

Malcolm Schweizer
04-02-2015, 11:37 PM
For the record: Botha youse guys suck. :p

I am looking at planing some big $$$ curly maple, which I have not had to do in the past.

They were very helpful. And I just wanted that note to be in the cosmic consciousness - which is positively dripping with irony, because my situation has a clear hand-plane solution, but my right shoulder is shot, and Harold is working the Cosmic Tool Karma angle to get my hand planes to leave me, and....the more I think about it, I dunno why I am even concerned about how to proceed.......... :confused:

Have you considered Japanese planes for your situation? Perhaps the pull versus push motion would be easier for you.

edit: I mean after surgery and recovery, and assuming you'll still need to be cautious.

Andrew Hughes
04-03-2015, 12:02 AM
I can also vouche for lie Nielsons Cs,I dropped my block plane and bent the screw mechanism,I called to ask for a new part.They said just send it back,They fixed it for free.
just so you know how dense I can be I spent several hour last week trying to figure out why my smoothing plane wouldn't cut.I almost called lie Nielsons Cs.
I finally discovered the blade has been Sharpend to its last bit of travel.I spend too much time looking for pencils and fiddling.And that's why I don't make videos of me woodworking.:)

Jim Koepke
04-03-2015, 1:11 AM
because my situation has a clear hand-plane solution, but my right shoulder is shot

My right shoulder gives me trouble at times. When that happens I go lefty.

My LN #62 was purchased because of my shoulder's reaction to using a shooting board with a bench plane. There is a lot to be said for its ability to lessen the force needed to shoot end grain.

Most of the time my work is done right handed, being able to switch helps on those days my shoulder is trying to kill me.

jtk

paul cottingham
04-03-2015, 1:10 PM
My right hand is pretty well hosed. It is remarkably easy to plane left handed. I even learned to use a plow with a pulling motion.

Larry Edgerton
04-03-2015, 1:30 PM
Therapy, drug / alcohol issue or woodworking?

I like you Bill.........

Kent A Bathurst
04-03-2015, 3:31 PM
My right shoulder gives me trouble at times. When that happens I go lefty..........being able to switch helps on those days my shoulder is trying to kill me.

My right hand is pretty well hosed. It is remarkably easy to plane left handed. I even learned to use a plow with a pulling motion.

Jim & Paul............

Thanks. I was wondering about that - hadn't gotten around to trying it yeet. Good to know.

Kent

Simon MacGowen
04-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Jim & Paul............

Thanks. I was wondering about that - hadn't gotten around to trying it yeet. Good to know.

Kent

Is it a complaint about LN service or a belated April 1st joke? LN owes us no obligations to tell us how to deal with a technique issue. Was the first post written under the influence? LN isn't a hand tool babysitter.

Simon

Brian Holcombe
04-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Before;http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/SpeedyGoomba/57AB3E08-F1B1-49A8-90BD-E619F068840F_zps1y6tjpf1.jpg (http://s27.photobucket.com/user/SpeedyGoomba/media/57AB3E08-F1B1-49A8-90BD-E619F068840F_zps1y6tjpf1.jpg.html)

After:http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/SpeedyGoomba/168FD573-2BCE-4A93-9EF2-81C485C60735_zpscix8pse4.jpg (http://s27.photobucket.com/user/SpeedyGoomba/media/168FD573-2BCE-4A93-9EF2-81C485C60735_zpscix8pse4.jpg.html)

45 degree pitch, .010" depth chipbreaker with a 50 degree leading edge.

Does the same on curly maple I just dont have any glossy color photos of the before/after.

lowell holmes
04-04-2015, 12:52 PM
My 2002 vintage LN dovetail saw had a split in the tote. One day, I decided I was too fond of the saw to let that situation continue. I called LN and ordered a new tote for the saw. They sent me a new tote and refused to take payment for it.

While I was at it, I ordered and payed for a dowel plate. They shipped it free since they were shipping the tote anyway.

I have other LN saws, planes, and chisels and they are all top quality.

Kent A Bathurst
04-04-2015, 1:29 PM
Is it a complaint about LN service or a belated April 1st joke? LN owes us no obligations to tell us how to deal with a technique issue. Was the first post written under the influence? LN isn't a hand tool babysitter.

Simon

First - It was a question about included angles on a BU plane, and grind angles on accessory plane irons they have available, and how those come into play on the material I am looking at.

Second - it was a discussion on the merits of toothed blade[s] - different tooth count, BU plane v scraper plane, etc., and applicability in this situation.
-
Third - Someone may well have been under the influence here, but it wasn't me - thanks for your concern, tho. :) Next appointment, you probably should have your doctor adjust your meds schedule, dude........... ;)

Simon MacGowen
04-04-2015, 2:00 PM
First - It was a question about included angles on a BU plane, and grind angles on accessory plane irons they have available, and how those come into play on the material I am looking at.

Second - it was a discussion on the merits of toothed blade[s] - different tooth count, BU plane v scraper plane, etc., and applicability in this situation.
-
Third - Someone may well have been under the influence here, but it wasn't me - thanks for your concern, tho. :) Next appointment, you probably should have your doctor adjust your meds schedule, dude........... ;)

You were wasting people's time with your deliberately vague post with critical information missing from it. None of the details you gave in your last post could be found in your first post in this thread. If you expected people to be a mind reader in this forum, you are in the wrong forum. Your post should be published on April 1, 2016. 'nuff said and read as far as this thread goes. I feel sorry for the LN's rep, too.

Simon

Kent A Bathurst
04-04-2015, 2:15 PM
You were wasting people's time with your deliberately vague post with critical information missing from it. None of the details you gave in your last post could be found in your first post in this thread. If you expected people to be a mind reader in this forum, you are in the wrong forum. Your post should be published on April 1, 2016. 'nuff said and read as far as this thread goes. I feel sorry for the LN's rep, too.

Simon

The details were not what I was promoting in the OP. I was simply singing the praises of an organization's excellent customer service and tech support. Your gratuitous "under the influence' shot was unhelpful.

Sorry if you feel that you were left out of the inside story, or if my editorial standards are not up to snuff. It should get much easier for you from here on out- I'd recommend you simply bypass any threads started by me - life is too short. For both of us.

Be well, and good luck, Simon.

Brian Holcombe
04-04-2015, 2:17 PM
Kent, if you want to try a toothed blade let me know I have one for my BU #5.....FWIW I think they're not great.

This is a web forum, it's centered around wasting time.

Kent A Bathurst
04-04-2015, 2:24 PM
Kent, if you want to try a toothed blade let me know I have one for my BU #5.....FWIW I think they're not great.

Thanks. LN, having the chance to sell me one, gave me the same advice - not worth doing [at least in my case]. Gotta love people that turn down the opportunity for an easy sale, in the pursuit of "what's right".

This is a web forum, it's centered around wasting time.

:p :p :p Too funny, Brian. There may, apparently, be people whose time is too valuable to be wasted while wasting time. That's cool. All good from my end. To each his own.

No one has dinged me on the undercurrent - - me admitting in public I actually own a BU plane - kinda came out of the closet on that bit.............. :D

Me - I gotta go get another beer.............

Brian Holcombe
04-04-2015, 3:19 PM
Indeed, LN is a good crowd. They had a trade show local to my area and I attended, they were pretty cool. I've already bought pretty much the majority of stuff I plan to from them and they were still really good about small things here and there.

Hah, I know the feeling, I have one as well, I manage to use it a good bit but basically only with either a heavily cambered blade or a blade for shooting.

David Ragan
04-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Wow
did I miss the humor?
i guess I'm accustomed to listening to folks trying to articulate what they're trying to say (and not making much sense)-and just overlooking it
a few weeks ago I posted some nonsense here under the (legit) influence of narcotics-the audience was kind; I felt rather silly
Let's all continue to be patient and kind- like all the "ideal" cs reps

Kent A Bathurst
04-05-2015, 6:09 PM
Wow
did I miss the humor?
i guess I'm accustomed to listening to folks trying to articulate what they're trying to say (and not making much sense)-and just overlooking it
a few weeks ago I posted some nonsense here under the (legit) influence of narcotics-the audience was kind; I felt rather silly
Let's all continue to be patient and kind- like all the "ideal" cs reps

Got any good dope left? Wanna share it? ;)

Max Neu
04-05-2015, 9:49 PM
I agree about LN customer support.I just recently recieved a workbench from them.It showed up earlier than planned (which is rare these day's),they kept me well informed during the process.plus they called me a week after it was delivered to make sure the delivery guy's did a good job,and the bench met my expectations.I have never experienced such good customer support!

Mike Brady
04-05-2015, 10:20 PM
To the surfaced