PDA

View Full Version : Turning Tool Roll Recommendations?

Doug Ladendorf
04-02-2015, 7:37 PM
I've got enough tools and no permanent tool rack yet that I'm concerned about their welfare. I'm still working on my shop so it will be a while before I have something in place. I have also been traveling to some workshops that my local club arranges. This wasn't too bad when I had smaller tools as I could throw them in a tool bag. But especially with the addition of a Thompson scraper and skew I need a different solution. Can anyone recommend a tool roll?
Thanks,
Doug

Thom Sturgill
04-02-2015, 7:56 PM
Our club president bought this one from Woodcraft
$25 holds 12 tools up to 28" long. I've been thinking of buying one too. I need to carry three or four handled tools, two or three handles and several bladed that would fit those handles. My scrapers, skews, and SRG all have flat tangs and are in permanent handles while pretty much every thing else uses removable handles.

Mike Peace
04-02-2015, 9:10 PM
I have tried a tool roll. I prefer a 5 gallon bucket as it makes a great storage container while turning. Much easier when there is no table to set a tool roll on.

Ralph Lindberg
04-02-2015, 9:10 PM
Sweet talk the wife? Sew it yourself?
My wife made mine, then hers, then... she makes one every year as one of the presents the local club gives out at Christmas
Only problem with mine is it's a touch larger then it needs to be.

Doug Ladendorf
04-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Bucket is a neat idea. Hadn't seen that before.

Sweet talk the wife? Sew it yourself? My wife made mine, then hers, then... she makes one every year as one of the presents the local club gives out at Christmas Only problem with mine is it's a touch larger then it needs to be.

I like that idea. Wish my wife liked to see like the rest of her family! I gave her a sewing machine for Christmas one year since we didn't have one and she still haven't let me live it down. She has other wonderful traits though.

If it's larger than it needs to be doesn't that mean you don't have enough tools???

Ralph Lindberg
04-03-2015, 12:15 AM
Bucket is a neat idea. Hadn't seen that before.

I like that idea. Wish my wife liked to see like the rest of her family! I gave her a sewing machine for Christmas one year since we didn't have one and she still haven't let me live it down. She has other wonderful traits though.

If it's larger than it needs to be doesn't that mean you don't have enough tools???

Ellen has five sewing machine and her own lathe....

The roll she made me is so large if I filled it I probably couldn't lift if.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-03-2015, 1:54 AM
I made this bucket toolholder several years ago, it is a 20L juice bucket, made to take my tools along and now it sits usually next to the lathe I happen to use.

I sawed a plywood disk for the bottom and another that sits higher up, drilled holes for plastic tubing that keep the tools upright, it get a little heavy but haven’t found a better and easier way to keep store and transport my tools yet.

Grant Wilkinson
04-03-2015, 11:57 AM
I have a bucket on wheels for use in my shop, but I also have this roll for trips.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=56743&cat=1,330,56743

Leo Van Der Loo
04-04-2015, 1:33 PM
I have a bucket on wheels for use in my shop, but I also have this roll for trips.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=56743&cat=1,330,56743

That is a nice tool roll Grant, looks like real good Lee Valley quality :) 310684

Thomas Canfield
04-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Here is link to early bucket design that I made when I only had a mini lathe - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?43145-Lathe-Tool-Holder-Bucket-Design&highlight= A 5 gallon bucket with PVC pipe does seem to be the norm, but a roll is also handy when you are flying or just carrying a few tools. I bought one from Peachtree or similar several years back and used it once, and today could not find it to use to take some extra tools for a demo next week. One caution about tool roll is that some of the larger bowl gouges with long handles will not fit.