PDA

View Full Version : CRAFTSMAN RADIAL ARM SAW 113.197751 Thermal Protector wiring!

george scarlett
04-02-2015, 5:56 PM
Hey Folks, After going through an unbelievable 2-week long HAGANGUE with Sears Parts Direct:mad:/ Emerson:eek:/ and KLIXON:confused:, (Sensata) as to how to hook up a new Thermal Protector, and getting N O W H E R E, I finally had to resort to the tried-and-true method of : "Touch and Smoke", I'm now grateful to the ALMIGHTY that I got it right the first try, W/O Smoke!! I assume NO liabilities for any problems in passing on the following data to any other "Poor Souls" who might find themselves in this similar predicament. FIRST, the original motor, (made by Emerson), is sears #63607, or (Motor Model #C48BC-102), which is, of course, no longer available. The Thermal Protector originally furnished IS a KLIXON D157, of which Emerson also no longer makes, (got mine online for $21.95, minus shipping, OUCH) Looking at the rear of the D157, you will see Three terminal lugs layed out in a reverse "L". The top lug of the "L" receives the BLACK wire, the bottom corner lug gets BOTH the BLUE and the RED wires, and to the remaining lug on the bottom leg, affix the BROWN wire. If you have Googed the Motor's PDF parts diagram, you know why this info. is valuable!! All they, (Sears) show is 4 wires hanging out in mid-air with N O connections!! Anywho, I hope this will bless someone, and help them to enjoy their now practically EXTINCT:( saw. You can order the start capacitor, (#STD376112) for this Motor, (as I had to), and ONE lead, (the RED one), (#63443).---------Gb----------bg

Myk Rian
04-02-2015, 8:37 PM
Well, this belongs in another forum as it has nothing to do with the website.
We'll get it moved.

(It is now where it belongs on the Power Tool Board)

Neil Quellhorst
06-10-2015, 10:06 PM
Follow up information about the motor protector used in Sears ras 113.19771. The Sears parts diagrams indicate there were two motors used for this saw model. The first, and presumably older, motor used a Klixon model D157 phenolic protector (Sears number 64625). The second used a slightly different Klixon model CGJ65EB phenolic protector (Sears number 64734). Klixon changed it's phenolic motor protector model numbering scheme sometime in the late 50's early 60's. The older Klixon model D157's "modern" part number is CEG65GB. There are two differences between these protectors. The CGJ comes with higher current rated contacts and has a dust cover over the top of unit when compared with the CEG. While both protectors should work (and fit) fine with either motor, the newer CGJ part is the more robust choice.

Both protectors are still in production. You may obtain them at any number of industrial motor rebuild/repair shops. Here is one I found with reasonable prices and shipping: http://www.carbonbrush.com/klixonCEandCG.htm