PDA

View Full Version : The big 4-0

Gary Herrmann
08-04-2005, 8:10 PM
I know this is a ridiculous question. You don't know whats in my shop or how I work. Tough. I'll axe it anyway.

I'm turning 40 in a couple days. The wife already bought me something, but then also said I could choose something from LV since she's going to be placing an order anyway (gardening stuff) and wants to get the shipping break. I already have a la block, la jack, med shoulder and la heavy smoother. Had their sharpening guide for awhile and like it.

Since this is an extra present, I've been asked to keep it at or below $100.

Can't decide. Maybe a nice hand saw? Not sure. Interesting little problem to deal with tho.

Turning 40 doesn't seem to be bothering me at all. I'm a little surprised, I thought it might bug me a little. Oh well. I'm not particularly well adjusted. Its probably just the caffeine...

Jim Becker
08-04-2005, 8:42 PM
If you don't have a nice dovetail saw, that's a nice option, Gary.

40 was so....long ago... ;)

Bruce Page
08-04-2005, 8:51 PM
How about a dovetail saw and some socks for the planes.
Looking at you picture, you sure don't look 40!
Happy Birthday

JayStPeter
08-04-2005, 8:58 PM
Well, you're plane selection seems good, so how about a variety pak :D .

Layout tools are good. Maybe a marking gauge, bevel gauge, squares, dovetail marking tools, marking knives, straight edge. I like the carpenter square fence. Wonder dogs/pups are real nice ... then there's always clamps. I've been wanting to try out their panel clamp. Well, that's all I can come up with without looking at the catalog :rolleyes: .

Jay

Dick Latshaw
08-05-2005, 9:43 AM
I'll second the motion for the carpenter's square fence. I have found this very useful - have it on a smaller than normal square. How about a straightedge for machine alignment and checking for flat?

Dan Moening
08-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Happy Birthday !

Spending someone elses money! How fun! :D

How about:

A LV Spokeshave {or 2}?

Their version of the #80 and their round marking gauge with a book/video thrown in?

Saws: A dozuki, and flush cut?

Waterstones?

Are you a turner? Most I know need a couple dozen new accessories.

Michael Gabbay
08-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Gary - Happy B-Day. I wish I was 40 again! :D

For me this is what I'd get...

Saddle square. I use mine all of the time. It lives in my apron.
DT squares if you do hand cut DTs
Honing jig. I really like the new one.
Straight edge. I use it more than I thought I would. I comes in handy for checking panels etc.
Bench rulers.

my 2 cents...

Mike

Bob Winkler
08-05-2005, 1:41 PM
Gary, from your picture, you don't look a day over 6 ;).

How about a nice Japanese saw or 2. I find that I use mine more than I ever thought I would.

Bob

John Miliunas
08-05-2005, 1:56 PM
Hey, happy D-day, Gary! Now, if your "poor, old" eyes are up to it, how about a couple books and such? Also, for the sharpening end of things, their illuminated magnifying loupe is killer! So, you REALLY want to see how well you've sharpened that edge? That's the hot tip!:) :cool:

Alan Turner
08-08-2005, 1:57 PM
I find the taper guage to be handy with much frequency. My preference is decimal inches.

Donnie Raines
08-08-2005, 3:16 PM
40...whats that??....is that a bad front nine at the golf coarse.... :D

David Wilson
08-08-2005, 4:20 PM
Gary
Congrats on the B-day. Oh to be 40 again.

John Dingman
08-10-2005, 9:51 AM
Happy Birthday Gary!

This year for my birthday I had about the same budget and my wife picked me up one of these:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/tm_gauge.jpg

The Tite-Mark Marking Gauge. Again, Happy Birthday!

Best Wishes,
John