PDA

View Full Version : kitchen counter top

sherri reynolds
04-02-2015, 4:07 PM
I would like to know how thick does a kitchen countertop have to be I have some left over cedar wood 3/4 thick and I want to use it to make a kitchen countertop any thoughts on this would be great. I also plan to make my kitchen cabinets out of cedar also thanks for the help first time trying any of this

George Bokros
04-02-2015, 4:30 PM
Most counter tops are 1 1/2" thick around the outer edges. You can build up the edges to that thickness. I am no certain how well will hold up in that kind of use.

Kent A Bathurst
04-02-2015, 4:51 PM
Couple recent threads about wood for kitchen countertops.

I won't rehash those, other than to say there are 2 distinct camps: One says the wood tops will inevitably fail around the sink, due to water infiltration. The other says you can get away with it if you are meticulous about installation, and not letting water sit.

There is a subset discussion about the impact of top-mounted v. undermount sinks, and how well/poorly each does in inhibiting water from getting at the wood.

I am in the "don't do it camp", but I want to be sure you know that the other side has their argument to make as well.

Beyond that - 3/4" seems flimsy for a counter top. I certainly would not go that direction. Also - cedar is a relatively "soft" wood, in my experience, and I wonder how well it will hold up under the use and abuse a kitchen countertop takes in routine, everyday, use.

You might want to sit on the extra cedar for another project, and get a countertop made out of more traditional materials...........the "don't do it" camp will tell you that this is the course you will inevitably be taking, so you might as well not swim against the tide. But the other camp says different.............

sherri reynolds
04-02-2015, 5:49 PM
thanks I think I will sit in the don't do it camp the main reason we are having to redo cabinets and counter top is water standing on them and making them weak were my son keeps overflowing the sink

Larry Edgerton
04-02-2015, 7:39 PM
Easiest thing would be to make your son respect your house, but that is another story.

I am in the "I can do wood tops" camp, but I would never do one out of cedar, and would not do a wood top if I thought it was not going to be cared for reasonably well. Cedar is so soft it will get dented and no matter what finish you put on it it will not hold up.

In his instance, I have to agree with Kent, even if he is a troublemaker and gets us edited. :eek:

Kent A Bathurst
04-02-2015, 7:55 PM
........ the main reason we are having to redo cabinets and counter top is water standing on them and making them weak were my son keeps overflowing the sink.......

My Dad will tell you that it is impossible to get your sons to behave. For the record, he and I have never agreed on anything, but in this instance I thought you should know his thoughts. :D

..........Easiest thing would be to make your son respect your house..........

No. Absolutely not. That is the nearly impossible route. Like taking the path through the Mines of Moria and fighting the Balrog. You need your meds changed, Larry, my friend. Again. ;)

.......I have to agree with Kent, even if he is a troublemaker and gets us edited. :eek:.......

WHAAAA the &%^$?

Moi?

You have me confused with Harold or Myk, methinks. :D :D

Bill McNiel
04-02-2015, 8:19 PM
I'm firmly in the wood counters are fine camp but IMHO....
- 3/4" is way too thin and cedar is way too soft. Keep it for a nice outdoors type project or wine racks if it is Western (no aroma).

Roy Harding
04-02-2015, 8:34 PM
I won't get into the wood counter top argument - others have pointed you to a thread which delves into it. However - if I were to consider a wood counter top, it definitely wouldn't be cedar. I work with cedar every day (I make cedar chests and keepsake boxes) - it is SOFT, and will NOT hold up to the daily use of a counter top. I will not knowingly sell a cedar chest to folks who want to use it as a toy box - there are other woods more suitable to that purpose, and to yours.

mike mcilroy
04-02-2015, 9:35 PM
If you build up the edge and use 3/4" plywood supports running from front to back every of cabinetsevery 12"-16" you could get away with the 3/4" thickness
but I agree about the abuse factor with a soft wood like cedar.