PDA

View Full Version : Delta 36-716 10" TS

Scott Donley
08-04-2005, 4:42 PM
Hi all, Still looking for a ts.Really don't want to deal with 220, so, does anyone have, or used the Delta 36-716 10"? It is a full cabinet and the unifence with 4" dust collection. On sale at Amazon for 899.99 with free shipping. Looking for user reports, so far have not found anything neg. Thanks. Scott

Jim Becker
08-04-2005, 4:55 PM
That model is a hybrid (http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=136&p=5850), not a cabinet saw. It has a contractors' style saw trunion setup with a wrap around cabinet to contain the guts. It's a nice machine, but pretty much functionally equivalent to the contractors style saw. Dust collection under the blade will be better than the open machine. I happen to be a fan of the UniFence, so it's nice to see it's included. (The same machine is available with the Biesemeyer fence or the T20 fence...different model numbers)

scott spencer
08-04-2005, 5:06 PM
Hi Scott - As far as I know, the 36-716 is the same as the 36-717 but with the Unifence vs the Biesemeyer. It does have a full enclosure, but at 1-3/4hp, is not what most of us would consider a "full" 3hp cabinet saw, plus it has contractor style trunnions that hang from the table as opposed to being cabinet mounted. It's really classified as a hybrid saw. Both of those Delta's are similar to the Craftsman 22124 made by Orion and share many of the same parts. There's been alot of discussion that they're all made by Orion. I can't confirm that with certainty, but many of the parts look identical to me.

FWIW, I've found the 22124 to be a great saw for a hobbyist. The 22124 does have cabinet mounted trunnions, but also has a 1-3/4hp motor. That's plenty of power for most applications with the right blade....it's also about all the power you can get on 110v. The biggest advantage of the cabinet mounted trunnions is ease of alignment. They also provide a bit more heft....the saw weighs 425#.

If you do end up looking in this price range and have ruled out 220v, I'd also check out the GI 50-220CM1.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up with! :)

http://www.epinions.com/content_91326418564

Scott Donley
08-04-2005, 5:22 PM
That model is a hybrid (http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=136&p=5850), not a cabinet saw. It has a contractors' style saw trunion setup with a wrap around cabinet to contain the guts. It's a nice machine, but pretty much functionally equivalent to the contractors style saw. Dust collection under the blade will be better than the open machine. I happen to be a fan of the UniFence, so it's nice to see it's included. (The same machine is available with the Biesemeyer fence or the T20 fence...different model numbers)Thanks Jim, I know it is a hybrid, but it is a full cabinet stand verses an open stand such as the dewalt or the early jet supersaw, the newer supersaw is also a enclosed stand but is a couple hundred more list price, can't see why? Delta is no longer selling the 36-717 (the Biesemeyer fence model) even though it is still on their website.Really asking, why not buy the Craftsman 22124 over the Delta, or any other hybrid for that matter?
Thanks, Scott, in a very warm day here in the Northwest! (87)

Scott Donley
08-04-2005, 5:42 PM
Hi Scott - As far as I know, the 36-716 is the same as the 36-717 but with the Unifence vs the Biesemeyer. It does have a full enclosure, but at 1-3/4hp, is not what most of us would consider a "full" 3hp cabinet saw, plus it has contractor style trunnions that hang from the table as opposed to being cabinet mounted. It's really classified as a hybrid saw. Both of those Delta's are similar to the Craftsman 22124 made by Orion and share many of the same parts. There's been alot of discussion that they're all made by Orion. I can't confirm that with certainty, but many of the parts look identical to me.

FWIW, I've found the 22124 to be a great saw for a hobbyist. The 22124 does have cabinet mounted trunnions, but also has a 1-3/4hp motor. That's plenty of power for most applications with the right blade....it's also about all the power you can get on 110v. The biggest advantage of the cabinet mounted trunnions is ease of alignment. They also provide a bit more heft....the saw weighs 425#. Thanks Scott (great name!) I was about to buy the 22124 but there was so much neg on the forum I chickened out! I just want a new saw! I am also looking for a used motor home, so if anyone has one and a Uni they want to sell, let me know, and I can be done with all my stress as what to do!!!! :)

If you do end up looking in this price range and have ruled out 220v, I'd also check out the GI 50-220CM1.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up with! :)

http://www.epinions.com/content_91326418564Thanks Scott (great name!) I was about to buy the 22124 but there was so much neg on the forum I chickened out! I just want a new saw! I am also looking for a used motor home, so if anyone has one and a Uni they want to sell, let me know, and I can be done with all my stress as what to do!!!! :)

Jim Becker
08-04-2005, 5:43 PM
Really asking, why not buy the Craftsman 22124 over the Delta, or any other hybrid for that matter?

I am not familiar with the 22124 or any other current Craftsman product. That said, comments have largely been positive as of late on that machine.

scott spencer
08-04-2005, 6:26 PM
Scott - The owners and users of the saw tend to rave about it. The mag reviews have been positive too for whatever that's worth. The only chronic negatives come from Craftsman haters...and I'll bet nary a one has used the saw enough to get familiar with it. If someone has a complaint with it, ask them for a specific beef with this particular machine. I'm not a Craftsman lover by any means....I think alot of their stuff is junk, but some is fine, and some is much better than "fine". Seems to me that Bosch makes one of their best routers....if the Sears version goes on sale and the Bosch doesn't, then the Sears is the better value, and vice versa. It's best to evaluate each machine on it's own merits. I haven't heard about any systemic problems with this machine other than the Biese extension table warping....which is a Biese problem on any saw that uses that extension table including Delta. Mine was priced too attractively to pass up. At full price I'd be scrutinizing alot closer, but I have been very pleased with the saw, Orion, Sears, and it's features. It's no PM66, but within it's power limitations and intended uses, it's darn good IMO. This particular machine has proven it's mettle to me and other users. You'll need to form your own opinion and make your decision from there. It's never easy when you're parting with hard earned cash...you always want to make the best choice. The hard part is defining "best"! :D

Corey Hallagan
08-04-2005, 7:12 PM
I would also add on the Craftsman hybids, don't judge the saw buy the appearance in the store. I don't know who is assembling those saws but the store models look like H E Double L. They have been moved around so much in our store, have coffe mug stains, assembled poorly, have parts missing and they resemble nothing like the ones I have seen photos of in wood workers shops like Scotts. If I ran the tool dept in our store, things would be a little different! Anyway, something to think about.

Corey