PDA

View Full Version : Miter saw laser guides

John Gregory
08-04-2005, 2:31 PM
Last week I was in my local Home Depot with a 10% off anything coupon. (How could I resist???) Anyways I bought a laser guide for my DeWalt 703 miter saw. It had the Irwin label on it, but it looks just like the Avenger brand. The cost was $30 less 10% which seemed good.

The blade cuts about 1/32" to the right of the red line. Although it should not matter, I tried a thin kerf and a regular kerf blade and had the same results. Has anyone had experience with the Irwin and/or the Avenger laser guide?

I called Irwin and they are sending me a new unit. The customer service was very good.

I just wanted to check with the creekers and see what your experience is.

Thanks
John

Ken Garlock
08-04-2005, 3:33 PM
John, I think your unit is working as designed. Last year at the Dallas WW show I broke down and bought a laser for my Mikita CMS. The fellow demoing them said to line the laser line up on the line to leave the line when cutting; line up the laser line just to the left of the line to cut the line.

If you think about it, the laser is, by it nature, shouting a straight beam of light at the wood. The laser can not see around the blade tip in order to align exactly on the saw cut. The only question is how close to the blade can the laser line be placed, and hence how close to the cut can the line be placed? IMO, it will never be exactly on the cut.

Don Baer
08-04-2005, 3:40 PM
My Neighbor has one on his CMS and has the same problem. It is the nature of the beast when you mount the guide on the spindle.

Shop Notes had a review of a couple of lazer guides for sws. The only one that actualy would duplicate the curf of the blade was one that mounted directly behind the blade.

Mike Parzych
08-04-2005, 3:44 PM
I believe manufacturers have jumped on the laser bandwagon to sell more tools to the less experienced public. It's a gimmick. My Rigid is the same way, but I never really figured on using it as a guide. I don't think lasers are necessarily accurate, and the red light itslef is too fuzzy for making good mitre cuts. I'll still stick by old methods.

James Ayars
08-04-2005, 4:11 PM
My Craftsman also cuts right next to the laser line. I never found it to be bothersome as I do what Ken described.

John Gregory
08-04-2005, 5:52 PM
John, I think your unit is working as designed. Last year at the Dallas WW show I broke down and bought a laser for my Mikita CMS. The fellow demoing them said to line the laser line up on the line to leave the line when cutting; line up the laser line just to the left of the line to cut the line.

If you think about it, the laser is, by it nature, shouting a straight beam of light at the wood. The laser can not see around the blade tip in order to align exactly on the saw cut. The only question is how close to the blade can the laser line be placed, and hence how close to the cut can the line be placed? IMO, it will never be exactly on the cut.
Thanks Ken, I will give that a try.

John Gregory
08-04-2005, 5:54 PM
I contacted both Avenger and Irwin, both say the device is defective and Irwin is sending another one. But from what I have heard from you guys and in other reviews (amazon) I think the problem is inherent in the design. When I get the new one I will update you on how the new device works.

Thanks

Bill Fields
08-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Folks:

My experience with the arbor mounted lasers is exactly what somone wisely said earlier--they can only paint a line to the left or right of the actual kerf.

The unit on my everyday CS really is not effective in daylight.

The good news is that the laser on my HF copy (pretty good for 1/4 the Makita price!) of a Makita 12" CSMS works great. The battery housing and switch are LAME--so I am in the process of re-engineering the power unit to be more rugged, with AA batteries, rather then the AAA batteries it came with.

They mount the laser head underneath the support arm, so that it "looks" right underneath the teeth of the blade--not off to the side--unless you want it that way.

The laser head itself is more than OK. Sturdy, easily adjustable and very bright. It paints a line (when adjusted) precisely on the kerf.

BILL FIELDS

Corey Hallagan
08-04-2005, 11:25 PM
My Ryobi has a laser on it. I use it as a quick reference only to slide the lazer line up close to the line quickly and then I do my usual 3 chop sequence.......1 chop of the blade...close... another chop...closer... one more.... perfect. I don't think it can be used for anything more than a reference point myself.

Corey

Don Baer
08-04-2005, 11:39 PM
John,
When you get the new one put it on the opposite side of the arbor from the one you have that way all you have to do is cut between the lines...

:D

John Gregory
08-05-2005, 12:57 PM
I may have to do the same thing. Many times I use my MS for rough cuts from layouts. It works fine for that.

My Ryobi has a laser on it. I use it as a quick reference only to slide the lazer line up close to the line quickly and then I do my usual 3 chop sequence.......1 chop of the blade...close... another chop...closer... one more.... perfect. I don't think it can be used for anything more than a reference point myself.

Corey

John Gregory
08-05-2005, 1:01 PM
On the laser unit I have, there is the red laser line, then 1/32" of space, then the cut from the blade. The blade cuts 1/32" right of the right side of the laser line. When I receive the replacement unit I will let everyone know if it works any better or not. Avenger does have a dual laser for my saw for $77. This Irwin one is great for $30 if it works right.

Folks:

My experience with the arbor mounted lasers is exactly what somone wisely said earlier--they can only paint a line to the left or right of the actual kerf.

The unit on my everyday CS really is not effective in daylight.

The good news is that the laser on my HF copy (pretty good for 1/4 the Makita price!) of a Makita 12" CSMS works great. The battery housing and switch are LAME--so I am in the process of re-engineering the power unit to be more rugged, with AA batteries, rather then the AAA batteries it came with.

They mount the laser head underneath the support arm, so that it "looks" right underneath the teeth of the blade--not off to the side--unless you want it that way.

The laser head itself is more than OK. Sturdy, easily adjustable and very bright. It paints a line (when adjusted) precisely on the kerf.

BILL FIELDS

Roger Everett
08-06-2005, 7:30 AM
On miter saw lasers-- I know of no professional who wants one on a miter saw, it seems to be a gimik for the homeowner market. Most have slightly fussy lines, aren't right on the mark. I use a miter saw every day, and to me it would just get in the way.
Roger

Larry D. Wagner
08-06-2005, 7:54 AM
:) John

I have an Avenger on my Makita SCMS and find it very useful. Mine like someone else said, cuts at right edge of line when red line is on line and takes the line when red and cut line are side by side. My first unit failed after the 3rd or 4th cut. Avenger sent me a new one in less than a week from time I contacted them. The replacement has operated flawlessly for about a year now.:) What I like best is I don't have to make more than a small point where I want to cut, align lazer line and cut. Works for me!

I do not rely on SCMS for precision miter cuts as you might use for picture framing. I use my INCRA miter gauge for that.

Larry:) :) :)

Scott Parks
08-07-2005, 1:56 PM
On my new Hitatchi 12" CMS, the laser is mounted behind the blade. It is set for dead center of the blade. I just eyeball the laser about 1/16" from my mark. Or I can add half the thickness of my blade when measuring for my cut. Works great, lasts a long time.....

You can also adjust it to the right or left of the kerf. Since I'm always cutting on both sides of the blade, I'll probably leave it where it's at...

James Mudler
08-08-2005, 11:03 AM
John,

You would not happen to have the sku number for avenger laser would you? I did not see one this weekend at my local HD.

Bart Leetch
08-08-2005, 12:03 PM
On 12" CMS's I've found that there seems to be enough flex in the blade that I can set the point of the tooth on the line or right next to it & I always have to adjust just a little to get the cut where I want it. Has anyone else had this happen?

John Gregory
08-08-2005, 12:49 PM
I will try to check the SKU tonight. Lowes has it too, same price. Here is a link to Irwin http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd300002&search=false

John,

You would not happen to have the sku number for avenger laser would you? I did not see one this weekend at my local HD.