PDA

View Full Version : Another Drum Sander Thread

Mark W Pugh
04-02-2015, 1:33 AM
What is the consensus on this Supermax? Small hobbyist looking for a new tool.

http://www.supermaxtools.com/products-sanders/wood-supermax-19-38-drum-sander/

Oh, and I know absolutely nothing about these machines. Any other comments would be appreciated. And yes, I do have a planer. Just wanting something to level everything out, within reason.

William C Rogers
04-02-2015, 6:19 AM
I have the 19-38 Supermax. For a hobbiest they are good machines. I have not had any problems with it. I use the DRO a lot when using this sander. I bought the cabinet base, but wouldn't buy it although it looks nice, not worth that much money. The cabinet base comes with cheap wheels, but they do not swivel. I had to buy a mobile base for it. Do buy casters for the included stand. I bought mine from Rockler at a much lower price than the OEM. I also have the outfeed tables that I recommend. You will need a DC as a vac will be nowhere enough for this tool. What I like about this compared to other sanders is it is easier to change the paper, table adjust instead of the sanding drum, all metal construction and outfeed table is wider than sander.

Cary Falk
04-02-2015, 8:16 AM
I don't have it but it would be my first choice if I was in the market.I have a Grizzly 18/36 that I got used. I never liked the Jet 1632. I saw a demo of it at a show and was not impressed. I watched the video for the Supermax and I think it is a lot better than the Jet.

John Kos
04-02-2015, 1:11 PM
I really like mine alot, a real time saver. I have my Ridgid vac and cyclone on a mobile base that I hook up to it and it literally gets all the dust.

Wade Lippman
04-02-2015, 3:50 PM
I love my 19/38, and can't see any need for the tables; if you are holding the heavier end, then what would they do?
I had a jet 16/32 and hated it; paper was difficult to change and loosened up. 19/38 isn't all that easy, but better than the Jet. Of course the Jet was about 10 years ago; maybe they have been improved.

Jeff Glass
04-02-2015, 5:37 PM
I was looking at the 19/38, but I picked up the 16/32, with outfeed tables and casters for 400 dollars on craigslist recently. I couldn't pass it up. I have changed the paper a few times, and it is a little touchy to keep tightly wound, but I haven't had it unwrap on me yet. I'm not sure how old it is, but it is not Jet branded.

It has been great so far, and really have no complaints.

Bill McNiel
04-02-2015, 8:32 PM
I did a great deal of research on drum sanders and the Supermax came out well ahead of the others. My local Woodcraft had a supermax and Jet side by side and the difference was more that evident. I wanted the 19/38 and keeped looking on CL for almoast 2 years with no luck. Just when I was ready to order one from Acme I found a 25/50 on CL. Two months old, practically no use, table extensions and $210 worth of sandpaper for $500 (I almoast felt guilty).

This is a great machine and it get used alot in my shop (I mill most of my material). No tracking issues, really easy, I mean REALLY easy paper changes, dead nuts flat and solid. Great dust collection. The Dro concept doesn't work for me because, as I understand it, each time you turn it off it forgets the last setting.

Supermax is owned by the guys who originally created/designed the Jet drum sander. I believe the tale is that they didn't like the direction Jet was taking the tool and left after "buying back" their original design and formed Supermax.

Highly recomended!

William A Johnston
04-03-2015, 4:56 AM
I wanted to get the Supermax sander but found a Wood master for a song. You will go through a learning curve well at least I did after ruining 3 belts and the Velcro I realized before I adjust the depth after initial set up I run the board 3 times then only move the height of the feeder track only a quarter turn which is about 1/64 inch. Run boards 3 times again and then adjust the depth again. Get some paper cleaner sticks. They are cheap and really help keep the paper clean. My belts last forever now. A friend of mine has a supermax and really likes it. Dust collection is a must.

Justin Ludwig
04-03-2015, 7:19 AM
Get the extension wings. Get a good set of casters but don't pay the $90 for theirs - unless you want to. I put a cheap set of casters ($20 for 4) and they work, but not smooth. The 19-38 is heavy, especially over the motor. I used a forklift to hold it while I mounted the base.

Don't attempt to remove +1/32 with anything over 120+grit or it will burn. Buy it, you'll enjoy it.