PDA

View Full Version : Did more shopping tonight!!!

Dennis Nagle
04-01-2015, 11:25 PM
I just got back from picking up this Wallace 16" band saw. It is really well built. Luckily the guy had a cart to bring the bits to my truck. The wheels run true as brand new. The motor needs bearings and there is a Lend/Lease sticker on it. The government lent it to Boeing during WWII. The light housing is empty and someone replaced the side blocks on the upper and lower guides will roller bearings. Other then normal wear and 7 coats of paint, it is in great condition. And of course someone painted over the placards the someone else scraped the paint off leaving gouges.

I am going to use paint stripper first, then sand and repaint.

I am picking up the Delta 16" scroll saw tomorrow after work.

Doug Ladendorf
04-01-2015, 11:56 PM
Nice Dennis, love that upper door. Great big table too. Great score.
Doug

Jesse Busenitz
04-02-2015, 8:01 AM
Man, you have been hauling' it in!!! Is your shop getting full yet?:confused:;)

cody michael
04-02-2015, 8:28 AM
did you get that bandsaw from the ad on craigslist? i think lansing area? I had thought about buying it.

Mike Schuch
04-02-2015, 8:28 AM
Great find! A lend/lease sticker is really cool! I always thought the lend/lease program was for getting war materials to our allies. I never realized it was also how American companies received tooling.

I would expect at least one of those 7 layers of paint to have lead in it. Using paint stripper is a good idea as it shouldn't release the lead. A needle scaler or twisted wire brush might be easier than sanding. I would probably recommend doing the wire brushing / scaling / sanding outside and use a respirator so you don't fill your lungs or your shop with lead paint residue.