PDA

View Full Version : Raised Bed Garden

Mike Goetzke
04-01-2015, 7:08 PM
I'm going to make a raised bed garden similar the the left of "Custom Raised Bed Kits" - one with circle in center and four corners ( LINKY (http://distinctivegardenbeds.com/) ).

If you look at the outside of the four corners there are two 3' sections with a post in the center. Would it be better to make this one 6'? I think they use 3' due to shipping.

Thanks,

Mike

Bill Adamsen
04-01-2015, 7:34 PM
The OTA Layout image makes it look like the 3' sections are to maintain a grid, and also for structure. However the photo they show makes it look like that grid isn't followed for the actual construction. Are you planning to use their connectors?

Mike Goetzke
04-01-2015, 8:31 PM
The OTA Layout image makes it look like the 3' sections are to maintain a grid, and also for structure. However the photo they show makes it look like that grid isn't followed for the actual construction. Are you planning to use their connectors?

The internal grid is not as high as the outside. I think it's there to keep the the thing square. I like the connectors but I think they are just to make it easy for any skill level person to construct. I was going to use my Kreg HD jig.

Here is my slightly modified design:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Raised%20Bed%20Garden/Raised%20Bed%20Garden_zpstlwulyrc.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mbg/media/Projects/Raised%20Bed%20Garden/Raised%20Bed%20Garden_zpstlwulyrc.jpg.html)

...so just wondering if it would be better with 6' boards on the outside like this (this would save on wood, cutting time, and screws - and could be a bit stronger not having the split):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Raised%20Bed%20Garden/Raised%20Bed%20Garden%206%20foot_zpswxjfpx5x.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mbg/media/Projects/Raised%20Bed%20Garden/Raised%20Bed%20Garden%206%20foot_zpswxjfpx5x.jpg.h tml)

Mike

Dave Zellers
04-01-2015, 9:17 PM
If you're going to build this yourself and not from a kit, then yes it would be easier using 6 foot boards on the outside.

Nice design actually. How high will it be?

Mike Goetzke
04-01-2015, 9:26 PM
If you're going to build this yourself and not from a kit, then yes it would be easier using 6 foot boards on the outside.

Nice design actually. How high will it be?

Thanks. I'm going to build it on the tall side - about 2' (3 2x10's). Hopefully will keep out the rabbit's. If I eliminate that extra post I save two 4x4x10' posts and about 180 screws.

Mike

Bill Adamsen
04-02-2015, 8:50 AM
Sounds like a good plan. Having built a number of raised beds for my vegetable gardens, one of the surprises was the incredible outward pressure the soil exerts as it expands and contracts. My beds are two 2X10's stacked. I used a piece of metal strapping between the boards (12 foot long) to keep them from bowing out. As you're expecting to go up 2 feet, whether the pocket screws can provide that same level of resistance would be a question in my mind.

Appearance, that depends on whether the grid is something you are trying to preserve. You could achieve the same look by adding eight "caps" that aren't really functional, but are placed in the same locations along the center of the outside. I mocked it up without the caps below, and it changes the appearance, but still looks good.

Mike Goetzke
04-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Sounds like a good plan. Having built a number of raised beds for my vegetable gardens, one of the surprises was the incredible outward pressure the soil exerts as it expands and contracts. My beds are two 2X10's stacked. I used a piece of metal strapping between the boards (12 foot long) to keep them from bowing out. As you're expecting to go up 2 feet, whether the pocket screws can provide that same level of resistance would be a question in my mind.

Appearance, that depends on whether the grid is something you are trying to preserve. You could achieve the same look by adding eight "caps" that aren't really functional, but are placed in the same locations along the center of the outside. I mocked it up without the caps below, and it changes the appearance, but still looks good.

Thanks Bill.

Bowing my be a reason to use 3' pieces also I suspect.

I was going to ask but thought it may be overkill - from Bill's experience with bowing would it be worth the effort to T & G the stock?

FYI - I did do some research on building these and another suggestion is to fasten 1/2" square hardware cloth to the bottoms to keep out the burrowing critters.

Thanks,

Mike

Erik Loza
04-02-2015, 4:13 PM
Mike, I have no opinion on the design but do have raised beds and will say this: Bear in mind that really tall sides will require A TON of soil to fill, which gets expensive in a hurry. I am actually about to dismantle our existing ones this weekend and rip the 12" wide sides down to 6". This is based on advice from a local organic garden place that has great raised beds. The issue I ran into last year with poor yields was more than likely related to the cheap BORG soil I used. They said it is better to go shallower and use better quality soil/compost mix, which is what I am going to do. Better moisture retention as well (an issue for us here in TX). Anyhow, what I was trying to get at was that the single bigeest expense of my beds was the dirt and it got to a point of diminishing returns in a hurry. Just something to be aware of. Best of luck with yours.

Erik