PDA

View Full Version : Screw Clocking

Jim Koepke
03-31-2015, 7:34 PM
In my "Building Potting Benches" thread, screw clocking was mentioned. Stew Denton asked about clocking screws. My posted response may be all it takes, but now there is a video:

http://youtu.be/_dq3FwBFtyg

It is fairly easy with an adjustable speed drill. Most of the time the clutch is set to release before the screw is driven all the way and the last half turn or so is done by hand.

jtk

Stew Denton
03-31-2015, 10:47 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the video! I don't have one of the drills that you can set the torq on, but as you suggest, can stop the drill that I do use short of the complete sinking, and then use one of my hand screwdrivers.

The truth is I watched the video, and then though....Duh, OK.....why didn't I think of that? I mostly use Phillips screws, but with them it will be even easier, because I only have to go to the nearest 1/4 turn instead of the nearer 1/2 turn.

Until your post on the Potting Benches, I had never really considered clocking the screws. I am thinking I have heard the term, and have definitely seen work where it was done. I will say, though, if you just look at the video where you clock the screw, it does look more professional with the two screws clocked.

Sometimes I think that little things like such make work to look more professional. Many such small things add up. I am not sure that a person is even aware of the small touches, you just notice that the project somehow looks more finished than other similar projects you have seen. Sometimes you can't even put your finger on it as to exactly why it looks better, you just notice that it does.

Again, thanks for the video.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Jim Koepke
03-31-2015, 11:07 PM
Sometimes you can't even put your finger on it as to exactly why it looks better, you just notice that it does.

Well speaking of "putting your finger on it," some of the women at the farmers market do put their fingers on some of the ogee curves, joinery and such.

People see many of the small details. My feeling is if they see some of the finer points they know it follows through with the rest of the work.

An old phrase is, "don't sweat the small stuff." When I was a tech I told a story of how the repair of some very small connectors required a soldering technique know as sweat soldering. In essence the small stuff did require "sweating."

Too many of the small details being ignored result in the big picture looking like a too many things were ignored.

jtk

Hilton Ralphs
04-01-2015, 1:00 AM
Good April Fools video Jim!

Your voice sounds like that dude that did the review for the Rockler Bandy Clamps.