PDA

View Full Version : Sipo finishing

Ken Bondeson
03-31-2015, 6:22 PM
I have a piece of Sipo Mahogany that I want to use as a counter top. I don't want to color it. All the articles that I have read dwell on dying and staining. (what's the difference, aren't they the same?).

How to fill the grain? I read somewhere that I could apply shellac, then sand and the shellac would remain in the pores. Is that a suitable filler. If so, what to apply as a top coat? What about Waterlux? Despite it's name it's not water based but Tung oil. What about General Finishes Enduro Conversion for counter tops? Not sure if it's water based or oil, General Finishes makes both.

So, after all this rambling, how to fill the grain without coloring and what top coat?

As you can see, I'm confused, and also an amateur.

Ken B

Kent A Bathurst
03-31-2015, 6:58 PM
on dying and staining. (what's the difference, aren't they the same?).

First - let me suggest you invest a few bucks in a reference book. Both Jewitt and Flexner have excellent ones - they both have books on my reference shelf. Money well spent.

Next - they are not the same by a few country miles. Stain has large chunks of pigment suspended in a carrier. Those large chunks sit on top of the wood. THe chunks cannot stay suspended in the carrier - you have to stir frequently to keep them in suspension.

Dye - is much, much finer pieces of pigment. It does not sit on top of the wood - it goes into the cells. They stay in suspension indefinitely.

THe two have completely different looks on the wood. One masks the wood, the other is imbedded in the wood.

How to fill the grain? I read somewhere that I could apply shellac, then sand and the shellac would remain in the pores. Is that a suitable filler.

Question: Why do you want to fill the grain? What is the driver? Are you going to do that so you get a particular result you want, or is it because you read about people doing it?

Shellac can work, if you are willing to spent he time to get there with it. There are other water-clear fillers [Chrystalac is one]. But, first - what is driving you to do this? In all honesty - and no disrespect - I wonder if you even know why people fill the grain?

If so, what to apply as a top coat? What about Waterlux? Despite it's name it's not water based but Tung oil. What about General Finishes Enduro Conversion for counter tops? Not sure if it's water based or oil, General Finishes makes both.

It is WaterlOx. The name means nothing re: product. It is simply the name of the company. It is an oil-based varnish, with a strong amber color. An excellent quality product - if you are looking for the results it provides.

Starting with a conversion varnish for your first project would be like teaching your kid to drive in a Ferrari.

If you want to have zero - or, near-zero - impact, then you want a waterborne brush-on varnish. I don't use them, so I won;'t pretend to know - someone will jump in shortly to get that bit straight.

Ken Bondeson
04-01-2015, 3:43 PM
Thanks Kent,

Ya I will buy a reference book. I thought all open grain woods had to be filled to prevent a blotchey appearance.
If not, I will try just Waterlox original sealer/finisher. Or maybe the Waterlox Satin finish. The Watyerlox web site says that is a Tung oil based product that penetrates and finishes.

Ken B

Kent A Bathurst
04-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Be sure to test-drive your finish scheme on a piece of scrap. Or - on a table top, you have the bottom side that will never be seen. THose get a lot of test samples on them in much of my work, if it is something I have not already used in the past.