PDA

View Full Version : Lets chat about roughing gouges

George Farra
03-31-2015, 5:46 PM
What size roughing gouge would be appropriate for roughing out smaller projects like tool handles, bottle stoppers, handles for coffee and ice cream scoops, etc. Is a 1" gouge too large for such projects? I haven't found roughers smaller than 3/4" on the interweb, so I was speculating a 1" gouge is useable.

Any education on sizing tools to projects would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

George

Thom Sturgill
03-31-2015, 6:29 PM
Any time my 2" gouge is too big (not often) I just use one of my larger bowl gouges. Do a series of push cuts onto the blank and then smooth between them. Repeat as needed.

Bob Bergstrom
03-31-2015, 6:39 PM
1" roughing gouge will make short work of that size squares. Biggest advantage of the gouge is a lot of cutting surface. It can cut on the "U" to knock off the corners and use the wings to plane the cylinder smooth. I believe there are some small pen roughing gouges, but to rough out a cylinder that will work best. It will cut a 2" one down as well. Continental gouges will also work. I've used the old Sear's black 1" at times.

George Farra
03-31-2015, 7:46 PM
Thanks guys for the speedy reply!! Much appreciated, George

robert baccus
04-01-2015, 12:50 AM
Standard roughing gouges round up spindles well with a 45 deg? grind.. Also ground to a 75deg. angle they are great on vases, spindles and bowl sides. They do a great finish cut with no chance of a dig in. Unusual but true.

Alan Zenreich
04-01-2015, 8:55 AM
I tend to make smaller items, for example, jewelry and shaving brushes.
I really like using a "Mark St. Ledger" 5/8" spindle roughing gouge from Thompson Lathe Tools (it is listed under 'other' tools on the site) . The flute is a deep U with wings that are pretty high, and can be used like a skew.